Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Here's a 2020 highlight reel:

— Long-legged gazellle of a player.
    — They used him once on a nifty little inside-out screen from the TE position, on one play. Suggests versatility?
    — Does he only line up on the right side?
    — Flashes a nice game at the LOS, though I'm not sure I saw anyone try to press him.
    — Has a fun little "break the tape" celebration pose when he crosses the goal line.

I never heard of him before 10 mins ago. Has talent.

Yes to this guy. It seems to me that this guy does the thing - catch long passes and turn them into TDs - that people want to see more of. The Ravens have Lamar, RB, Andrews, Hollywood, Boyle/Ricard, and ? (Boykin?). Is this guy better than Boykin potentially? It seems like he's an X. It seems to me that Hollywood should be by and large catching shorter passes and the longest passes should go to someone like this Terry guy. What I didn't see on that highlight video was Terry catching 50/50 balls in the end zone, high pointing in the end zone. I'm looking for someone very tall, very easy to throw TD passes in the end zone to. Maybe it's this guy? but maybe it's a 6'9 320 pound OL/TE like Spencer Brown and Drew Himmelman.

I really don't like when people just say "oh, I want more receivers because I want more passing, and I can't at all differentiate between receivers except by using made up terms like WR1 and WR2, so I'm going to say that I want a WR1, which is just a pseudo scientific term for "good" "very good" or "excellent"." But it seems like, if Boykin isn't good at those kind of plays, then this Terry guy might.

The Ravens don't need more receivers, but it's quite possible that this guy is an upgrade, at least in certain situations, over Boykin.

Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    On his siz reel that I watched, there's two plays that caught my eye as different. In the one he lined up at TE, then cut outside to take sort of a screen behind the other WR. On the other he cut in and caught the ball, then spun around and ran back outside – almost like a whip route, except the outside cut came after the catch.

Nice change-of-direction on that second one.
    I think that was the play where he reminded me of a young TO. He ran hard, made a quick catch and just took off.

But his route tree looked pretty minimal. I personally saw a Perriman clone but like I said his highlight reel was pretty repetitive. Same play over and over.

3. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    I like Terry. This man produced on some very bad FSU teams, in a power conference. He's actually on the tape list for the weekend. Chris Rumph II and Tamorrion Terry are the film study players this weekend. I'll be watching 2018 vs Miami, and 2019 vs BC; and 2019 vs UF; 2019 vs Boise State. I cannot find any 2020 film on him thought.
    Best game of his in 2020 v Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Yes to this guy. It seems to me that this guy does the thing - catch long passes and turn them into TDs - that people want to see more of. The Ravens have Lamar, RB, Andrews, Hollywood, Boyle/Ricard, and ? (Boykin?). Is this guy better than Boykin potentially? It seems like he's an X. It seems to me that Hollywood should be by and large catching shorter passes and the longest passes should go to someone like this Terry guy. What I didn't see on that highlight video was Terry catching 50/50 balls in the end zone, high pointing in the end zone. I'm looking for someone very tall, very easy to throw TD passes in the end zone to. Maybe it's this guy? but maybe it's a 6'9 320 pound OL/TE like Spencer Brown and Drew Himmelman.

I really don't like when people just say "oh, I want more receivers because I want more passing, and I can't at all differentiate between receivers except by using made up terms like WR1 and WR2, so I'm going to say that I want a WR1, which is just a pseudo scientific term for "good" "very good" or "excellent"." But it seems like, if Boykin isn't good at those kind of plays, then this Terry guy might.

The Ravens don't need more receivers, but it's quite possible that this guy is an upgrade, at least in certain situations, over Boykin.
    The Ravens absolutely need more WRS.

They do not have the right ones. They need a guy like DJ Moore, a WR who can get open in short routes, near middle of the field which is an area Lamar likes throwing too. They need a WR with size and catch radius more than just a speed go route guy which they have in Hollywood and Duvernay possibly.

They need a large posession type WR and another TE to pair with Andrews.

5. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    The Ravens absolutely need more WRS.

They do not have the right ones. They need a guy like DJ Moore, a WR who can get open in short routes, near middle of the field which is an area Lamar likes throwing too. They need a WR with size and catch radius more than just a speed go route guy which they have in Hollywood and Duvernay possibly.

They need a large posession type WR and another TE to pair with Andrews.
    Actually, the Ravens have gotten to the playoffs every year with Lamar. And then, failure 3 of 4 times.

We've for the most part concluded that the problem has been the offensive line being bad. We definitely did see that in the 2nd playoff game this year.

We might have seen a need for a big red zone threat in the playoffs.

The Ravens already have receivers. You might not think that they're "the right ones" but the Ravens, again, have gone to the playoffs every year, and in order to identify problems, you look at the points of failure. And most of the problems can be solved, remedies, by upgrading at LG, C, RG, and if Brown somehow goes, not get worse there. That's where the problems are, and I'd think that the biggest target possible in the red zone who can take attention away from Mark Andrews would've been helpful in ways that can be identified. I've said a number of times before - Spencer Brown and Drew Himmelman, OL/TE. A blocking TE who blocks as well as an OT, and who has the capability to catch TD passes. Not someone who is likely to make 60 yard TDs.

On day 3 though, I wouldn't be against adding a WR. The thing about throwing 50 yards to a short WR, if you're not accurate, if it becomes a 50/50 ball, the short WR isn't likely to win those.

It seems to me that a go route guy who is 6'4 would be able to win contested catches. This guy is the size of Boykin. I would think that he would be competing for snaps with Boykin. I would think they would both be Xs. And Hollywood certainly is not an X, and typically passes to Hollywood aren't very deep passes.

In terms of the middle, isn't that where you often find Mark Andrews? It seems to me that this coming year, as in the previous years, most of the passes will go to Andrews and Brown. That's not broken. it's worked. It's not a situation where one of the pass catchers who are liked the most is leaving and needs to be replaced (like might be the case for edge).

There are typically 2 WRs on the field at once. Sure, there are more sometimes. Right now, Hollywood and Boykin are the receivers, the starters. Are you looking to find a new WR to take snaps from Boykin?

I'm not saying, oh, definitely get this guy, not some other guy. You might have a much better idea about what to do with a pick in rounds 4-7. It seems like I can recall a 40-50 yard pass from Lamar to Boykin maybe in 2019? A lot of times you use a fast guy like that just to stretch the field out vertically giving space to the players you want to throw to. Hollywood and Andrews.

We refuse to use the rookies we had this year.

I thought Duvernay would have done really well if we actually played him.

Hard to tell who will be what on this team

2020 highlights: a few deep balls, wr screens where he displays his running ability when he is not going the distance and passes along the sideline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_lJH_Uwmss

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Seems to be a clone of Marquez Valdes-Scantling from the Packers. If we used him in the same way and can get him around the same draft position (5th round) then go for it.
    If he's anything like Valdes-Scantling or if he has bad hands, I don't want him for the Ravens. MVS had a good game in the playoffs but if you watched him all season he dropped about 10 certain touchdowns. Green Bay only kept going to him because they needed some kind of deep threat.

We saw what happened with passing attempts to the outside this season. It only took about 4 incompletions early for Roman to rip that page out of the playbook. If Terry drops a couple of deep shots those will be the last he sees all season and they'll have wasted a draft pick on him.

Does anyone think Roman has patience with the passing game or that he's willing to keep trying to get an aspect of it working?

OK, reading stuff on FLA State boards a) he seems to have a very good work ethic (put on 10 pounds of muscle before the 2020 season b) teammate thinks from practice that he has the full route tree (good to hear but who knows, probably an exaggeration) c) had a scope job to his left knee in October and then left the team... but presumably to prepare for the draft. (so that is not a "head" problem) d) he obviously can catch with hands but is often slow to get them up in time e) even played gunner on special teams e) hands issue is being referred to as "concentration drops" which may be related to d). f) seems to be hungry to be great (but that is only based on a few comments)

So who knows. He looks like a better prospect than Valdes-Scantling and the hands issue is the only thing I see if his health checks out.

I honestly don't want a WR in the first round but I don't think he makes it to us in the 2nd. If he does I would take him.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    OK, reading stuff on FLA State boards a) he seems to have a very good work ethic (put on 10 pounds of muscle before the 2020 season b) teammate thinks from practice that he has the full route tree (good to hear but who knows, probably an exaggeration) c) had a scope job to his left knee in October and then left the team... but presumably to prepare for the draft. (so that is not a "head" problem) d) he obviously can catch with hands but is often slow to get them up in time e) even played gunner on special teams e) hands issue is being referred to as "concentration drops" which may be related to d). f) seems to be hungry to be great (but that is only based on a few comments)

So who knows. He looks like a better prospect than Valdes-Scantling and the hands issue is the only thing I see if his health checks out.

I honestly don't want a WR in the first round but I don't think he makes it to us in the 2nd. If he does I would take him.
    He's going to have to blow his Pro Day out of the water(Looks like he will). Much like Claypool and Boykin did to even have a chance to go in the 3rd round. This is a pretty deep WR class.

It's simple. Before even getting into the rest of the evaluation, search for keywords "concentration drops" or "suspect hands". If they show up, you cross him off the list, and you move onto the next prospect.

NEXT!

Over the years I'm of the opinion that if you need to be talked into a WR prospect chances are the guy is never going to amount to anything. Just like we talked ourselves into guys like Demetrius Williams, Tandon Doss, Breshad Perriman, Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott, Myles Boykin, or even Hollywood Brown. Nobody felt great about any of those picks when they were made. Then we loaded up highlight videos, ate up the fluff piece articles, and talked ourselves up into thinking they could become something.

Torrey Smith is the only pick I can remember feeling like we got a good player at a good draft slot without having to find reasons to back up that feeling. You just knew he'd be a good deep threat #2 WR.
    Last edited by DeltaRaven; 02-25-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    It's simple. Before even getting into the rest of the evaluation, search for keywords "concentration drops" or "suspect hands". If they show up, you cross him off the list, and you move onto the next prospect.

NEXT!

Over the years I'm of the opinion that if you need to be talked into a WR prospect chances are the guy is never going to amount to anything. Just like we talked ourselves into guys like Demetrius Williams, Tandon Doss, Breshad Perriman, Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott, Myles Boykin, or even Hollywood Brown. Nobody felt great about any of those picks when they were made. Then we loaded up highlight videos, ate up the fluff piece articles, and talked ourselves up into thinking they could become something.

Torrey Smith is the only pick I can remember feeling like we got a good player at a good draft slot without having to find reasons to back up that feeling. You just knew he'd be a good deep threat #2 WR.
    Smith has suspect hands coming out of college (at least according to some)