Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Willie Snead sounding off on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    WR's hate our offense and I don't blame them. There is no balance whatsoever. The Titans had a 2000 yd rusher and still threw the ball way more than us. There's a difference between being run first and one-dimensional. We're one-dimensional. When the run game is humming we win, when it's getting stone walled (Like against Buffalo) it's a floundering husk of an NFL offense.

The Ravens need a philosophical change on offense, I loved Arthur Smith's Titans scheme and Stefanski's Browns scheme, two teams that run the ball hard but can open up the passing game when they need to. We need to model after those.
    The Ravens had 1 good oliner at the end of last year.

The Browns had 4 good oliners and a 1st round rookie draft pick.

The Ravens still beat that supposedly balanced Titans team in the playoffs.

Re: Willie Snead sounding off on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    But the arrogance of the head coach who refuses to change what HE thinks works best won’t allow that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Harbaugh is too stubborn to acknowledge the problem. He will end up running Lamar into the ground with the way he views that side of the ball. Short term effectiveness doesn't equate to smart coaching. If they expect to keep getting 1000+ rushing yds out of Lamar every season they are being extremely irresponsible with that young man's career. They will RG3 him sooner rather than later.

That's why the "But it's effective, look at all these great stats the offense has put up under Roman" thing just doesn't fly for me. It's effective to use a Ferrari as a daily driver for a few years too. But you will find out very quickly that you have made a grave mistake when it deteriorates exponentially because you overused it.

Blog Entries

And that’s some RNS.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    The Ravens had 1 good oliner at the end of last year.

The Browns had 4 good oliners and a 1st round rookie draft pick.

The Ravens still beat that supposedly balanced Titans team in the playoffs.
    Knew this "But we beat the Titans" was coming lol

That had everything to do with our defense playing their game of the year and getting a very fortunate Lamar house call on a broken play. There's two sides of the ball. Our defense won that game. Kept them at like 50% of their season average for points. Tip your cap to Wink and the big boys for a phenomenal performance but that doesn't change the fact that their offensive scheme was a lot better than ours.

The defense played lights out in the postseason and kept that Buffalo game from being an embarrassment

Harbaugh is too stubborn to acknowledge the problem. He will end up running Lamar into the ground with the way he views that side of the ball. Short term effectiveness doesn't equate to smart coaching. If they expect to keep getting 1000+ rushing yds out of Lamar every season they are being extremely irresponsible with that young man's career. They will RG3 him sooner rather than later.

That's why the "But it's effective, look at all these great stats the offense has put up under Roman" thing just doesn't fly for me. It's effective to use a Ferrari as a daily driver for a few years too. But you will find out very quickly that you have made a grave mistake when it deteriorates exponentially because you overused it.
    Also see the offense's overall production in the playoffs the past couple years when the Ravens are only playing quality teams. Lamar saved the Titans victory with that great scramble for a 48 yard touchdown run. It's not like Roman came up with a great game plan and the Ravens offense was rolling for four quarters.

6. Re: Willie Snead sounding off on Twitter

Knew this "But we beat the Titans" was coming lol

That had everything to do with our defense playing their game of the year and getting a very fortunate Lamar house call on a broken play. There's two sides of the ball. Our defense won that game. Kept them at like 50% of their season average for points. Tip your cap to Wink and the big boys for a phenomenal performance but that doesn't change the fact that their offensive scheme was a lot better than ours.

The defense played lights out in the postseason and kept that Buffalo game from being an embarrassment
    Well, if you make an argument with an obvious flaw, you're going to be called on it.

The Ravens had a bad oline at the end of last year. When Stanley was healthy, 2 good oliners out of 5.

Put 5 good oliners up there, the Browns pretty much have that, the Ravens will be fine.

And yes, Lamar had a 50 yard rushing TD in the Titans game. You want that, Lamar, a great runner, running great, getting the win.

And I'm not suggesting that the Ravens make the defense worse. Get top quality NFL oliners before worrying about more WRs.

The Snead statement basically was "don't replace us, if there's a problem, it's not us, it's the fact that this is a run first team." I'm not one to want to replace Snead or Hollywood, I'm good with them doing their thing. I'd like a top 1/4 oliner at all the spots. And I'm not going into all the innovation stuff that I like to talk about. Just that the weakness on offense for the Ravens is the oline.

What Snead is saying is "don't blame me, we just don't throw as much". He's not saying "replace me with Corey Davis"
    That's not really the connection I was trying to make

I'm just saying that the top tier WR's (Robinson/Golladay/Godwin) aren't going to come here for anything short of an overpayment (which won't happen)

So lets all lower our expectations for who we can expect to sign here at fair market value, it will be the next tier down best case scenario. Playing in this offense as a WR can kill your future earning potential, something that must be considered. Your volume will go down, your stat line will deflate, and there are many better landing spots for a WR that wants to be heavily involved and keep up stat line appearances for when they re-enter the market.

The top WR's want heavy involvement, it's their nature. They. want. the. ball.

I think this nothing and they're just hurt by the media calling them nobodies

Well, if you make an argument with an obvious flaw, you're going to be called on it.

The Ravens had a bad oline at the end of last year. When Stanley was healthy, 2 good oliners out of 5.

Put 5 good oliners up there, the Browns pretty much have that, the Ravens will be fine.

And yes, Lamar had a 50 yard rushing TD in the Titans game. You want that, Lamar, a great runner, running great, getting the win.

And I'm not suggesting that the Ravens make the defense worse. Get top quality NFL oliners before worrying about more WRs.

The Snead statement basically was "don't replace us, if there's a problem, it's not us, it's the fact that this is a run first team." I'm not one to want to replace Snead or Hollywood, I'm good with them doing their thing. I'd like a top 1/4 oliner at all the spots. And I'm not going into all the innovation stuff that I like to talk about. Just that the weakness on offense for the Ravens is the oline.
    I agree with the OL being the top priority but the philosophy of the offense isn't going to change until Harbaugh/Roman are gone.

They're going to run this same offense until the wheels fall off... and when you rely on your QB to run for 1000+ yds a season they will most certainly fall off.

Long term sustainability should always trump short term pedal to the floor mentality. But that is their mentality. "It's effective so we're going to keep doing it this way". I'm telling you, they're pushing their luck and it's going to come to a very abrupt stop one of these days. Nobody will complain about it until it happens and then we'll get 10,000 hindsight threads saying exactly what I'm telling you right now.

WR's hate our offense and I don't blame them. There is no balance whatsoever. The Titans had a 2000 yd rusher and still threw the ball way more than us. There's a difference between being run first and one-dimensional. We're one-dimensional.
    No balance?

Year Passes Sacked Runs (Scrambles) AllPlays Pass% Run%
    2020 406 32 555 50 993 49.1% 50.9%

"Balanced" seems precisely what it is. Probably more balanced than every other offense in the league.

I loved Arthur Smith's Titans scheme and Stefanski's Browns scheme, two teams that run the ball hard but can open up the passing game when they need to. We need to model after those.
    They can also protect the QB. That'd be a good place for us to start.

The Ravens need a philosophical change on offense
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    But the arrogance of the head coach who refuses to change what HE thinks works best won’t allow that.
    The Ravens offense literally leads the NFL in scoring over the past two seasons.

Here's the list:

Team PF 2020 PF 2019 PF sum
    Baltimore Ravens 468 531 999
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 492 458 950
    Kansas City Chiefs 473 451 924
    Tennessee Titans 491 402 893
    Green Bay Packers 509 376 885

Do they actually need a "philosophical change"?

Is it actually "arrogant" if Harbs thinks that what they've been doing works well?

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Also see the offense's overall production in the playoffs the past couple years when the Ravens are only playing quality teams. Lamar saved the Titans victory with that great scramble for a 48 yard touchdown run. It's not like Roman came up with a great game plan and the Ravens offense was rolling for four quarters.
    Exactly, we needed an absolutely lights out performance from the defense to secure that W. The Ravens offense really only had one good drive the entire game and it was the Ricard drive out of halftime. Keep in mind that was a Titans defense that wasn't very good and got lit up like a Christmas tree against Watson to the tune of 36 points with their division title on the line just a week earlier.

The Ravens offense in the playoffs has been just woeful the last 3 years. When the opponent/gameplans ramp up to stifle the run they spin their wheels every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, I would argue that it is Harbaugh's design...EDC and Bisciotti just believe in it...or they believe in Harbaugh (which is probably more the case).
    I guess believing Harbaugh has convinced both the GM and the owner (and the previous GM too) has the benefit of it being more easily rectifiable than if it is the other way around and the owner and FO are calling the shots here.
    Until proven otherwise, I know which one I think it is more plausible.