Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Peter King's Proposed Trade ~ WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    We’ve never seen Michael Jordan traded just as he was entering his prime either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Anthony Davis. In year one anyway.

I believe several other massive trades have paid short term dividends but it always hurts in the long run. But some people would trade that for a title.
    Sorry, I meant specifically in football. You guys are talking basketball. Different animal. One player is 20% of your team. In football, no matter how important the QB position may be, it's just a piece of a big pie. You've got probably 26-28 guys who are effectively starters on a team now, and the QB is just one of them.

The most important one? No doubt. But look no further than the Super Bowl to see that even the best QB on the planet can't win without help. Even on the other side of the ball, the GOAT QB was a lot less impactful that Tampa's defense in winning that game.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    King is a hack with more unconfirmed sources than La Canfora.. his best days are over a decade old...
    Comparing Peter King to Jason Laconfora is just flat out wrong and disrespectful.

Peter King is way more respected and known around the league that Jason Laconfora. His articles are usually professionally done. He also loves the Ravens and always writes something positive about the team.

Where his trade proposal does sound pretty nuts I think he wrote the article on purpose of it being far fetched for nothing more than click bait.

Take away Fred Warner and I think its a pretty plausible trade.

Just few years ago Jimmy G was supposed to be the next great QB, I guess the 49ers have given up on him already.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Point being, I don't know if any single NFL player is worth more than 4 firsts.
    I think firsts live in people's heads as more significant than they are. They always have to turn into players eventually and Teams still have 6 more picks, UDFAs and free agency every year to add talent.

Imagine the Ravens had never drafted Lamar and still had old Joe Flacco at QB but otherwise the roster was unchanged. On the other hand, imagine they'd traded their last 4 firsts plus a second so the roster is without Humphrey (a sore one) Bowser, Hayden Hurst, Hollywood and Queen but it has DeShaun Watson. (Plus it would have the two extra second rounders we traded for Lamar) Which version is better and more set up for short and long term success?

And that's before you consider that at least some of those first round picks wouldn't have been used on Humphrey. Hollywood etc because they'd have used them trying to pick or trade for a QB who's almost certainly worse than Watson.

I really don't think 4 first round players and a second is too high a price to pay to go from needing a QB to having one of the best QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I gave the comp of Cutler who would've been 25 at the time, same age as Watson. And he was coming off a year of over 4,500 yds and 25 TDs
    Even at that point, I don't think anyone thought Jay Cutler was anywhere close to the second most valuable player in the league. A starter, definitely, a top 10 QB, maybe, but his own team were willing to move on from him. They were the ones who started the trade talk.

It's definitely valid to double the Cutler compensation for Watson.
    Last edited by QtR Nevermore; 02-23-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Blog Entries

I really don't think the 49er's one is that bad. Warner is the best piece outside of the 1st this year, but he's an inside linebacker. That's not a position anywhere close to value or importance as a QB like Watson.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Question Re: Peter King's Proposed Trade ~ WTF?

...It’s not close, it’s not terribly debatable, if he were put on the market, he (Mahomes) might get 6 or 8 1sts in a trade offer..
    Why not add in the Brooklyn Bridge, all-expense paid trips to Disneyworld, and unlimited dates with my sister-in-law? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Tony this looks like something you'd post on your annual April fools articles

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Sorry, I meant specifically in football. You guys are talking basketball. Different animal. One player is 20% of your team. In football, no matter how important the QB position may be, it's just a piece of a big pie. You've got probably 26-28 guys who are effectively starters on a team now, and the QB is just one of them.

The most important one? No doubt. But look no further than the Super Bowl to see that even the best QB on the planet can't win without help. Even on the other side of the ball, the GOAT QB was a lot less impactful that Tampa's defense in winning that game.
    The QB is the most important so glee player in all of sports and it’s not close. Michael Jordan was simply a comparison point for a young superstar that is clearly the best, most important player in the sport by long shot.

The second most valuable player in football might be Deshaun Watson, but he is light years behind Mahomes, I would estimate Mahomes trade value nearly double Watsons.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Comparing Peter King to Jason Laconfora is just flat out wrong and disrespectful.

Peter King is way more respected and known around the league that Jason Laconfora. His articles are usually professionally done. He also loves the Ravens and always writes something positive about the team.

Where his trade proposal does sound pretty nuts I think he wrote the article on purpose of it being far fetched for nothing more than click bait.

Take away Fred Warner and I think its a pretty plausible trade.

Just few years ago Jimmy G was supposed to be the next great QB, I guess the 49ers have given up on him already.
    I respect your opinion. Mine is what I've seen lately. King is a shell of himself with regard to insider access. Hence my lack of accuracy or relevance over the past decade comment..

The QB is the most important so glee player in all of sports and it’s not close. Michael Jordan was simply a comparison point for a young superstar that is clearly the best, most important player in the sport by long shot.

The second most valuable player in football might be Deshaun Watson, but he is light years behind Mahomes, I would estimate Mahomes trade value nearly double Watsons.

The difference is that you can surround LeBron James with a bunch of stiffs and he can win a ring.

QB is important in that you can't win with a bad QB. But you also can't win with the world's best QB if he doesn't have good protection, some receivers who can get open and catch the ball, and some semblance of a defense on the other side.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I think firsts live in people's heads as more significant than they are. They always have to turn into players eventually and Teams still have 6 more picks, UDFAs and free agency every year to add talent.

Imagine the Ravens had never drafted Lamar and still had old Joe Flacco at QB but otherwise the roster was unchanged. On the other hand, imagine they'd traded their last 4 firsts plus a second so the roster is without Humphrey (a sore one) Bowser, Hayden Hurst, Hollywood and Queen but it has DeShaun Watson. (Plus it would have the two extra second rounders we traded for Lamar) Which version is better and more set up for short and long term success?
    Wow. Let's pull that thread. Your defense is markedly worse without your two best pass defenders at level 2 and level 3, and you have a huge hole in the middle of the field.

You also don't have JK Dobbins (who you got for Hurst) or any wide receivers.

It's very doubtful that we made the playoffs last year. And you go into this offseason with Peters and Jimmy Smith as your starting CBs, so you definitely need one of those. You pretty much have to bring Judon back since you don't have the potential cheaper/younger option in Bowser. So you're going to way overpay him for way too long. You still have all the same holes on the o-line we keep talking about -- C, RG, and very soon, RT.

So right now, the Ravens needs would be:
    - Starting CB
    - 2 OLBs (at least)
    - 2 WRs (at least)
    - Starting MLB
    - Starting HB, or at least someone who could do heavy rotation with Gus
    - C
    - RG
    - OT - at least a developmental one, but if you trade OBJ, a starter-level
    - Safety - at least depth, if not a true centerfielder

And you have limited money to fill these positions because you're paying a franchise QB. You certainly can't close all those holes in the draft. Plus you really need to get younger on the DL in the draft this year.

So how would Deshaun Watson would do with no one to throw to, a bad running game, and a porous o-line? Fortunately, we don't have to guess. The answer is 4-12.
    Last edited by HotInHere; 02-23-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Everyone else is proposing silly trade scenarios. Peter King probably wanted to join in.