Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Peter King's Proposed Trade ~ WTF?

I've never been a big fan of Peter King so maybe my outlook is a bit jaded. He's a nice enough guy and clearly has some cache in league circles but I find his takes and predictions to be a bit zany.

Today I read his proposed trade scenarios for Deshaun Watson in his latest Football Morning in America column:

"Seven-for-1. [Jimmy] Garoppolo, linebacker Fred Warner (that really hurts), tackle Mike McGlinchey, first-round picks in 2021 (12th overall) and 2022, plus a second-round pick in 2021 and third-round pick in 2022 for Watson," King wrote. "It’s a lot for the Niners to pay; of all the players in all the deals I’m proposing, Warner would be the most coveted one in my book. But he’s here because he is entering the final year of his rookie contract and would want a new deal. (McGlinchey is in exact same position, too.) Houston could view them as cornerstones for the rebuild."
    He offers a counter proposal as well in a three-team scenario:

"The Vikings send quarterback Kirk Cousins to San Francisco," King wrote. "The Niners send Garoppolo to Houston, if, of course, he’d waive his no-trade. The Texans send Watson to Minnesota. In return: the Niners send their first-round pick in 2021 (12th overall) to Houston, and they’re out. (So San Francisco would be trading Garoppolo and a one to Houston and getting Cousins with two years left on his contract.) The Vikings would send linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Alexander Mattison plus their first-round picks in 2021 (14th overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston’s haul: Garoppolo, two ones this year, a one in 2023, and two second-round picks."
    Is Watson really worth either of these trades?

I'm of the opinion that this is pure insanity.

Thoughts?
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Peter King's Proposed Trade ~ WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I've never been a big fan of Peter King so maybe my outlook is a bit jaded. He's a nice enough guy and clearly has some cache in league circles but I find his takes and predictions to be a bit zany.

Today I read his proposed trade scenarios for Deshaun Watson in his latest Football Morning in America column:

Thoughts?
    "Professor Einstein, what do you think of those trades?"

"Well, my boy, after careful consideration and using the most intricate football mathematical formulas, all I can do is...

That, from the wisest man to ever walk the Earth, so I also concur... Bc

Blog Entries

In 2009 the Bears traded two 1sts, a 3rd and Kyle Orton for Jay Cutler who was at the top of his career and coming off a solid year under Shanny.

That’s probably a decent comp although a decade ago

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If you believe Watson is a top 5 qb who has been held back only by others mistakes, there is almost no asking price too high.

I think some or Watson issues are self induced much like young big Ben he holds the ball way to long, that may be a hard habit to break

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post

Thoughts?
    King is a hack with more unconfirmed sources than La Canfora.. his best days are over a decade old...

I think King's first proposal sounds fair. His second one got so convoluted I stopped reading.

I'd say Watson is worth more than four firsts and a second but I'm not sure the highest offer will quite get there, unless you squint, because I think King is right that part of the trade will be made up of players.

Watson's probably the second most valuable player in the league right now as a young, top 5 QB. Most years that isn't available anywhere in the draft. Compared to 4 firsts and a second, where you might get 3 starters, a star and a bust, if you're lucky, Watson is much more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I'd say Watson is worth more than four firsts and a second ...
    No one is worth more than four firsts and a second.

That kind of thinking is what gets teams in trouble (cf the Herschel Walker trade).

The Watson is good, but until he shows he can win the big games...........

He lost me at 7 for 1.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    No one is worth more than four firsts and a second.

That kind of thinking is what gets teams in trouble (cf the Herschel Walker trade).
    Supposing San Francisco trade for him, and assuming they'd therefore probably be picking around 30, two of their firsts and their second would get them the number 6 pick in the draft. That might get them this year's QB4, Trey Lance, provided nobody else jumps ahead of them and he might be a bust

The extra 2 firsts in the trade is equivalent to a Jalen Ramsey or a Tunsil. That's not too expensive for the certainty that Watson will be good. Looking at it that way, I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't trade Lance and Tunsil to get Watson. It's not ideal. It hurts your depth but if old Joe Flacco was still the Ravens QB, I'd want them to give up 4 firsts for Watson.

The Rams haven't made a first round pick in years and they still made the playoffs with a mediocre QB. Adding Watson to their first-round-free roster would have made them genuine contenders.

I am not a Texans fan (don't get me started), but I can't avoid seeing Watson in action nearly every week. He's "that" good. He can run nearly as well as Lamar. Lamar is faster, Watson is bigger and stronger. Passing? There's no comparison. Watson holds on to the ball too long, but when he throws it, he's excellent. He can make all the throws; uses the whole field; good accuracy and velocity
    Watson runs for his life behind a porous line, has poor running game behind him and throws to a group of receivers "pretty good" at best. He can raise a "C" team to a "B" and a "B" team to an "A."
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

If your QB is Kyle Boller-esque.....there is absolutely no price that's too much. QB in the NFL is the most important position in sports. A bad one (Boller) can have a team with legendary defense never come home with a ring. A great one can take so-so parts (or bad defenses) and get to the Final 4 (Aaron Rodgers / Drew Brees).