Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Salvaging value when 1st round QB picks go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I think these mock drafter have players they've evaluated as first rounders and they just fit them into teams however they can at this stage.

The Ravens need at safety has been exaggerated because national experts see that Earl Thomas left in 2020 and they don't recognize Clark and Elliott's names. It keeps cropping up as a top need though most Ravens fans know that Interior O Line, WR and Edge are bigger needs. Safety depth is somewhere in the secondary group of needs along with TE, and younger D Line players
    Eh... we have two NFL quality safeties on the roster and one miraculously made it past week 5 without hitting IR... he also is not signed long term, and probably should not be.

Take it a step further and neither are better than a average NFL starters. Not saying that disparagingly, but...

3 safeties on the field at once isn’t even that rare an occurrence.

I still agree the other three areas are bigger needs, but if S is the BPA it would not be a bad pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Not the player I ultimately want but cannot deny he appears to be a good player. I have seen a number of mocks with him being mocked to the Ravens.

I hope there is a run on QBS but there will be a ton of movement in free agency last year and probably this year so the market might not be that weak to see a run but lets hope. The more QBS that go, the better the player slides down
    He is often top 20 on big boards, PFF for one.

I would be quite happy with him as the pick, assuming the usual suspects are gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I presented the answers in a way that's very disconnected from the question. All the writers except Kaboly identified an underrated need...whereas he called QB an exaggerated need for Pitt.

He's closer to the team than most, so who am I to question his opinion, except to ask, is he too close? Has he seen too many years of good Ben coming back from adversity (and no one in the history of football has been better at projecting adversity) to take it seriously. I wonder if Ben might finally be the boy who cried wolf this time. Kaboly blames dropsy receivers and a lack of a running game. Perhaps that's true. Perhaps Ben actually can throw the ball downfield still if he had a better line stopping rushers with their ears pinned back, and receivers he trusted. Or perhaps that's an excuse.
    It’s surprising to me that they’re keeping Ben in suspense. You’d think out of respect they would tell him he’s in or out. Very unusual

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

I still agree the other three areas are bigger needs, but if S is the BPA it would not be a bad pick.
    No but if a Safety is the BPA things won't have gone the way the Ravens wanted ("the other three areas are bigger needs") and it might be trade back time.

Three possibilities:

1. They are disrespecting him by letting him dangle in the breeze
    2. They are waiting to work out other roster situations so they know what their cap room for him will be
    3. They have asked him to take a severe pay cut if he wants to come back, and the ball is in his court, with no return volley coming soon
    "That's what."
    — She

No but if a Safety is the BPA things won't have gone the way the Ravens wanted ("the other three areas are bigger needs") and it might be trade back time.
    That's pretty much how I see it.

We do have a need for a rangy centerfielder safety, and I'd love to get a top-tier talent in.

But we have full-blown emergencies at EDGE and iOL. I'd rather see the draft fall in such a way as one of those positions is BPA when our pick comes up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Three possibilities:

1. They are disrespecting him by letting him dangle in the breeze
    2. They are waiting to work out other roster situations so they know what their cap room for him will be
    3. They have asked him to take a severe pay cut if he wants to come back, and the ball is in his court, with no return volley coming soon
    I'd think the Rooney's have a better finger on the cap pulse than most owners so to me that eliminates 2. I think we would've heard of 3 if it was offered.... leaving the disrespect card which is very curious to me.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Salvaging value when 1st round QB picks go wrong

Ehhh... maybe. He’s currently 17 on PFF’s big board, if he is available at 27 that’s a run to the podium situation in my book.
    I have also seen CB Horn mocked to us, which I wikld like even less.
    In another thread where the discussion was on obtaining pick 13, he was one of 3 names I had listed on the outside looking in.

Gone the way the Ravens wanted obviously means the top 3 WR’s, Pitts, 3 OT’s, Barmore are all gone. the two Miami pass rushers... Bateman I suppose... could be on board with. AVT.
    I’d take him over WR5+, Leatherwood, Freiermuth, any of the C’s. Could you make the case to trade back? Sure, if the offer is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That's pretty much how I see it.

We do have a need for a rangy centerfielder safety, and I'd love to get a top-tier talent in.

But we have full-blown emergencies at EDGE and iOL. I'd rather see the draft fall in such a way as one of those positions is BPA when our pick comes up.
    Yes but I’d rather get great value at Safety than reach for a need.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Ehhh... maybe. He’s currently 17 on PFF’s big board, if he is available at 27 that’s a run to the podium situation in my book.
    Wasn't Geno Stone top 50 on PFF's big board last year? I'm glad we didn't run to the podium for him at the Madubiuke pick.

Wasn't Geno Stone top 50 on PFF's big board last year? I'm glad we didn't run to the podium for him at the Madubiuke pick.
    Fair point, indeed!