Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Black History

Blog Entries

Re: Black History

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, I went to school in the 80’s and 90’s and I specifically recall learning quite a bit more than just King and Parks.

Harriet Tubman was a big one, although I went to school on the eastern shore, so that could be why.

Douglas was another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I went through school in the '70's and '80's. That's all I learned was King and Parks. Everything else I learned on my own.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Crispus Attucks - famous for getting shot
    Benjamin Banneker - Made Clocks and assisted Andrew Ellicott when he surveyed DC
    George Washington Carver - Made stuff out of peanuts.
    Justice Thurgood Marshall
    Jesse Owens
    Frederick Douglass

Etc..etc.. etc.. I got all this and more in the 70's
    Same here. High school in Maryland in the 80’s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Same here. High school in Maryland in the 80’s
    In looking at that list, I do recall George Washington Carver, Thurgood Marshall, and Jesse Owens. I also remember talking about Jackie Robinson.

Can't say we ever learned about Crispus Attucks though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

In looking at that list, I do recall George Washington Carver, Thurgood Marshall, and Jesse Owens. I also remember talking about Jackie Robinson.

The name sounds familiar, but can't place it for certain.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I attended high school in the late sixties. I don’t remember any black history in the curriculum. But it was clear it would soon be included in public education. MLK and the civil rights movement were always in the national news. You could easily sense a change of attitude and momentum in American society.

The sixties brought an intense transition of the entire nation on multiple fronts: civil disobedience, Vietnam controversy, feminism, gay liberation, sexual revolution, music, movies, and environmentalism. I was an adolescent growing up watching the whole country grow up. It was a very exciting and, occasionally, a very scary time.

The USA’s of 1960 and of 1970 were two very different animals. Talk about a paradigm shift. I would be fascinated to know just how the whole decade is presented in American history classes today.

CCx

What about Matthew Henson? A native Marylander who ended accompanying Adm. Peary in exploring the North Pole. Henson claimed he was the first man to actually reach the pole - a black man.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    What about Matthew Henson? A native Marylander who ended accompanying Adm. Peary in exploring the North Pole. Henson claimed he was the first man to actually reach the pole - a black man.
    I don’t recall hearing about Matthew Henson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Same here. But then others like rosa parks and king where most of the talk. Whoever said they went to school in the 70s and 80’s and didn’t learn black history, must have been stoned. Blacks history month was first formally observed in the late 70s. Reagan made MLK a national holiday in the 80’s.

I went to high school between 81-84 And US History was considered social studies and was only studied for one full year. Other years you had geography and govt for instance. Frederick Douglass, the underground railroad,Rosa Parks and MLK were most definitely taught. More could have been taught but at my school Black History was a full year elective choice. Hard to believe this is not an elective choice no more if true.