Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Cap will be at least 180M

I'm in the minority here, but i view this as a bad thing for the Ravens. We were in decent cap shape, not great, but we were going to be able to do some things. A lot of the better teams in the league were not in as good of cap situation and we were (and still are, but to a lesser degree) going to have the chance to sign some good players that may have wanted to sign 1-2 year deals (because of the lower cap) before trying to get a big pay day when the cap goes back up. We would have been able to get some of those very good players that had been released by other teams to try to win now. We would be able to let some of our players walk for comp picks while signing players that wouldn't count towards this process.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    I'm in the minority here, but i view this as a bad thing for the Ravens. We were in decent cap shape, not great, but we were going to be able to do some things. A lot of the better teams in the league were not in as good of cap situation and we were (and still are, but to a lesser degree) going to have the chance to sign some good players that may have wanted to sign 1-2 year deals (because of the lower cap) before trying to get a big pay day when the cap goes back up. We would have been able to get some of those very good players that had been released by other teams to try to win now. We would be able to let some of our players walk for comp picks while signing players that wouldn't count towards this process.
    This will help a handful of players go back to their teams or get a better deal in FA and that's about it. Still plenty of cuts and restructures incoming, there are a few teams out there for whom an extra 5m or so is not gonna cut it.

This will have no impact on who the Ravens sign. The only thing it will change is the 2021 cap hit for the players the Ravens sign. They may push slightly less out to the out years. 5m is not going to have an impact on who teams keep or cut. It also doesn't mean the Ravens are all of the sudden going to be in the running for Allen Robinson.

I think this helps us a little. Teams that are in deep trouble are still in deep trouble and teams with a ton of cash still have a ton of cash. I think this gives us just a little bit more maneuverability in trying to put together a roster that can win the Super Bowl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch11 View Post
    This will have no impact on who the Ravens sign. The only thing it will change is the 2021 cap hit for the players the Ravens sign. They may push slightly less out to the out years. 5m is not going to have an impact on who teams keep or cut. It also doesn't mean the Ravens are all of the sudden going to be in the running for Allen Robinson.
    It might be more than 180 million, it might be 185 or even 190 million. Even the extra 5 million alone would be the difference in bringing back Ward McPhee and Wolfe for 2021... this is a good thing for the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    I think I agree. That extra $160M sloshing around the league will mean there are a few less bargain free agents for the Ravens to sign. Maybe 32 decent vets who don't have to accept deals that are close to the vet minimum.

So if we lose the Thomas appeal we could lose $10 million in cap space?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It might be more than 180 million, it might be 185 or even 190 million. Even the extra 5 million alone would be the difference in bringing back Ward McPhee and Wolfe for 2021... this is a good thing for the Ravens
    100%

You worry about yourself, the more money available to us the better. Can't play some weird meta game where you're worried about other teams money and what they're gonna do.

This cap bump isn't going to drastically change FA

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Good question. Ive been wondering this myself so I hope someone knows. Sorry I couldn’t be more help though.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    100%

You worry about yourself, the more money available to us the better. Can't play some weird meta game where you're worried about other teams money and what they're gonna do.

This cap bump isn't going to drastically change FA
    It will change it though. There are a finite number of good players and this little cap bump will mean several more of them will sign/stay with other teams. It might mean a couple more teams are able to become buyers in the market (on a very small scale) rather than just managing to break even.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    It will change it though. There are a finite number of good players and this little cap bump will mean several more of them will sign/stay with other teams. It might mean a couple more teams are able to become buyers in the market (on a very small scale) rather than just managing to break even.
    DeCosta is a notorious money manager. He projected us to have more money this offseason and the covid cap initially threw a wrench in where he expected us to be. Getting closer to the projected money available is most certainly a good thing

The Ravens don't have a ton of room as it stands right now at the lower projected cap, we're in a better situation than most but we're kidding ourselves if we say that we couldn't use the additional space

We definitely want to bring back guys like Wolfe, McPhee, Ward, Bowser. Those deals will add up, especially Bowser's. Then the draft class money. The notion that we're sitting pretty even at a lower cap and were just going to rake in quality cap casualties from non-compliant teams was never going to happen

Again, don't get too meta. You worry about yourself and let the chips fall where they may. More money gives us more flexibility, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post

If you go to Over the Cap site it's showing as dead cap.