Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Pass rush solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Here's the thing: most likely, you're only signing one expensive FA OLB. That means one out of Bowser/Judon/Dupree/Ngakoue. I just don't see the ability to do more than that. My order of preference: 1) Bowser, 2) Judon, 3) Ngakoue, 4)Dupree.
    I don't think Bowser will be an expensive FA signing. He never gets mentioned in Top free agent lists, other fans never talk about him and the general view on him isn't very high. His actual pass rushing skills aren't great, which will be a deal breaker for a FA edge signing for a lot of teams too.

Of course some GMs will like him but they'd have to play the right system and have money available to even be a factor. I think the Ravens will be able to re-sign Bower fairly cheaply.

Blog Entries

I certainly wouldn't be against draft an edge rusher in round 1. I'm partial to 2 Miami guys Greg Rousseau and Jaelen Phillips. Phillips actually replace Rousseau who opted out of the season. Phillips is not as polished as Rousseau but he's also more likely to be someone who the Ravens could get in round 1. If the opportunity is there an edge rusher is someone who could really contribute as a rookie and be part of the solution

Blog Entries

Keep Bowser, Ward, McPhee
    Sign N. Suh
    Target speed/dynamic OLB in the draft early w/o concern for their run stopping ala Yannik
    Last edited by edromeo; 02-16-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I don't think Bowser will be an expensive FA signing. He never gets mentioned in Top free agent lists, other fans never talk about him and the general view on him isn't very high. His actual pass rushing skills aren't great, which will be a deal breaker for a FA edge signing for a lot of teams too.

Of course some GMs will like him but they'd have to play the right system and have money available to even be a factor. I think the Ravens will be able to re-sign Bower fairly cheaply.
    Fingers crossed on 3/$27m or so...
    if he insists on 4/$50m it would be a tough call, think I would pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Keep Bowser, Ward, McPhee
    Sign N. Suh
    Target speed/dynamic OLB in the draft early w/o concern for their run stopping ala Yannik
    This works for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Fingers crossed on 3/$27m or so...
    if he insists on 4/$50m it would be a tough call, think I would pass.

I like Bowser but I think $9M a season would be too much, never $12M+. He's a role player who gives Wink flexibility but I don't think he either rushes, covers or defends the run well enough to make that kind of money. (He covers really well for an OLB but, in the scheme of things, that isn't $9M worth of coverage.)

I was thinking he might not even find a team willing to give him $5 or 6M a season and the Ravens could get him for less. Am I crazy in this?

I like Bowser but I think $9M a season would be too much, never $12M+. He's a role player who gives Wink flexibility but I don't think he either rushes, covers or defends the run well enough to make that kind of money. (He covers really well for an OLB but, in the scheme of things, that isn't $9M worth of coverage.)

I was thinking he might not even find a team willing to give him $5 or 6M a season and the Ravens could get him for less. Am I crazy in this?
    I heard a rumor (maybe Filmstudy) that Belichick really likes him. Makes sense. He's a Pats kind of player, and they have a shit-ton of cap space.

It only takes one team to drive the market. Could be the Pats.

FWIW, PFF is estimating 3/$21MM for him. For comparison, they predict Judon at 4/$64MM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I agree. Bowser has 10 sacks for his career. Last year was a really good season for him but it was still a 2 sack 14 QB hit season. McPhee had 3 sacks 15 QB hits and cost a little more that $1 million. Obviously you are paying for age and not just stats with Bowser but $9 million for a 2 sack guy is just way too much

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    We all know that in a couple weeks the Ravens will only have one pass rush defender rusher still on the roster, Jaylon Ferguson, a guy who was a healthy scratch for half of the final quarter-season of games. '

Meanwhile, there are decisions to be made on free agents Jihad Ward, Pernell McPhee, Tyus Bowser, Matt Judon and Yannick Ngakoue.

There has been a lot of a lot of discussion around which of these options they can or should bring back. Now we've even heard the name of the recently freed JJ Watt mentioned as an option in Baltimore.

But here's a name that I haven't heard connected to the Ravens (sorry in advance if someone already brought this up). Bud Dupree.

Like Judon, he's coming off a $15-point-something-million-dollar franchise tag.

Ngakoue didn't show enough to earn a big-money contract. Judon, who has plenty of doubters in the fan base, particularly based on his 6 sacks this year.

Dupree had eight sacks for the Steelers. (His stats are actually remarkably similar to Judon's) Entering his seventh season, he just turned 28 this week. Judon turns 29 by the time training camp ends.

We all know the Steelers are cap strapped, particularly dealing with Ben's contract. It's been reported they are unlikely to franchise BD again. Even in a down market, with many options on the market, he might be hard for them to resign, but he could be relatively cheaper for the Ravens to sign compared to most years. Signing him helps the Ravens and hurts theirs chief rival.

I'd hazard a guess that signing Dupree—and friendly contracts for Bowser (who, with just two sacks, is not going to see top dollar), and McPhee for one more year—would be looked at favorably by those here.
    He isn't going to be cheap he is one of the premier free agent pass rushers and will get a huge deal. Outside of that he is better than anyone we have, and I would be thrilled if we somehow signed him. I just don't think it will happen. Steelers can't pay him in year 1 backloaded deal much less franchise him.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownP View Post
    He isn't going to be cheap
    I assume he's somewhere around Ngakoue and Judon in terms of market value.

And I assume the market will be a little down this year. So you may sign a guy for less than he'd get other years, with less money to spend and more options to shop.

Actually, weeks ago I said I would not be surprised if the Ravens signed one of these guys to a one-year, "prove it" deal, so they can come back and test the market again next year. Realistically, I'd say Ngakoue comes closest to being that kind of guy. He's younger, and can afford to kick the can down the road this year more than Dupree or Judon can. And he is the one who has had more of an "off" year, hence he's a better fit for the "prove it" idea. I'm not sure Judon and Dupree have as much to prove. Bowser probably does, but if you are the Ravens you prolly want to ink him long term before he has the stats to ask for more.

The thing that may dissuade Ngakoue from coming back is that Wink doesn't run a stat-padding system for edge rushers. The Ravens defense was actually in the top half of the league in sacks and second overall, behind Pittsburgh, in QB hits. They achieve this by blitzing the hell out of people from all over the field. So the stats get spread around to WAY more defenders in their scheme. Ngakoue may not want his stats vultured in this way.
    "That's what."
    — She

Cool Re: Pass rush solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownP View Post
    He isn't going to be cheap he is one of the premier free agent pass rushers and will get a huge deal. Outside of that he is better than anyone we have, and I would be thrilled if we somehow signed him. I just don't think it will happen. Steelers can't pay him in year 1 backloaded deal much less franchise him.
    Actually, I always thought that Dupree was overrated. He started to really produce once TJ was on the other side. He reminds me of Z. Smith when we had him (and who was better than Dupree). He signs a big FA contract with the Packers and all of a sudden, he is getting sacks left and right. However, he had Preston Smith on the other side raising Cain and they both did well.

Anyone signing Dupree had better have a good OLB on the other side applying pressure or they will just be wasting their CAP money.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Actually, I always thought that Dupree was overrated. He started to really produce once TJ was on the other side. He reminds me of Z. Smith when we had him (and who was better than Dupree). He signs a big FA contract with the Packers and all of a sudden, he is getting sacks left and right. However, he had Preston Smith on the other side raising Cain and they both did well.

Anyone signing Dupree had better have a good OLB on the other side applying pressure or they will just be wasting their CAP money.
    That’s cause he went to a real team. Hahaha I’m only messing with ya guys. I hope you guys don’t mind me talking smack jokingly once in awhile.