Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Covid - eliminate the focker OR hope vaccines work

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yeah, at this time last year we were not far away from reports of like 2 million dead by summer time.
    Back when I thought this thing would flip my reality on its head. Yet up to now the only person I know who passed away from it was a coworker at my old company (great guy for what its worth). Now even being a higher risk, I'm not worried at all about it. I'll wear a mask, avoid grandpa, and keep working from home but the research I'm most confident in is my own - get some cardio in and I pretty much don't have asthma. Just like 999 out of 1000 people I know I'll probably keep living.

Quote Originally Posted by Drain Bamage View Post
    Back when I thought this thing would flip my reality on its head. Yet up to now the only person I know who passed away from it was a coworker at my old company (great guy for what its worth). Now even being a higher risk, I'm not worried at all about it. I'll wear a mask, avoid grandpa, and keep working from home but the research I'm most confident in is my own - get some cardio in and I pretty much don't have asthma. Just like 999 out of 1000 people I know I'll probably keep living.
    My friend is 64 and her wife is in her 70's, but they pulled through just fine after getting it. The guy who cleaned our building passed away after contacting COVID, but he had at least three other major health problems including diabetes.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    ?
    My bad, well picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It wasn't until very recently (like within the last 3-4 months or so) that tests were more readily available across the country. It is also not as simple as "we need more tests". Not every medical center or primary care physician has the ability or the technology to compare tested samples to COVID in a timely fashion. It's not as simple as some make it out to be.

Sounds very Nazi-esque... "A National Solution", lol.

No, we do not need a national solution. This is a large country with incredibly diverse ecosystems and demographics. The right solution for New York City is probably overkill and unnecessary for Topeka, Kansas. And vice-versa. What is good for Topeka, KS probably isn't enough for New York City.

Additionally, I sure AF don't want the bureaucracies and corrupt politics of Andrew Cuomo dictating the lives of people in Frederick, MD. Just as I'm sure the high-fallutin' snobs in NYC don't want Little Rock Arkansas's politics either.

This isn't a virus that can be eliminated. SARS and MERS and Seasonal Flu are still around and prominent across the world. COVID is here to stay. It's a matter of dealing with it in the same way that we deal with the seasonal flu. Some people are going to die from it. Most people that get it are going to be sick and feel like shit and then recover.

I don't have any scientific backing for this, but I would imagine that when there is a universal flu vaccine (which my wife is working on), it will include varying effectiveness for lots of different strains of flu and possible COVID strains as well. We'll see. It will take years of research to fully understand COVID.

Pfizer's vaccine is effective against the new strains. I read that recently in the news.

Again, this current vaccine is not going to be the only vaccine. There are going to be others. There will be new developments that will cause vaccine researchers to look at building off of the current vaccines.

Moreover, viruses like COVID are constantly mutating and evolving. As we learn more, I'm sure everyone will see that COVID-19 has been around for a bit and has evolved over time into multiple strains. In fact, there is data suggesting that by the time COVID got to the USA in prominence, there were already at least two strains - one that made its way through Europe and hit the US on the east coast and another that made its way through the APAC region, which hit the west coast. The one from Europe was much more infectious, which is why the east coast was hit harder early on in 2020.
    Good posts. Both of them.

I hate lockdowns and think the above is far more effective. The problem is the cost is high.... And some thing you are saying are impractical.

Quarantine would be for international travellers, as they are the most likely way of the virus returning. Just ask NZ, Taiwan & Australia, who can’t stop citizen from returning from other countries, but have had outbreaks of the virus from quarantine workers. Those Countries have got to zero cases recently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yeah, at this time last year we were not far away from reports of like 2 million dead by summer time.
    Hey, Cuomo did his best to help get there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    Good posts. Both of them.

I hate lockdowns and think the above is far more effective. The problem is the cost is high.... And some thing you are saying are impractical.

Quarantine would be for international travellers, as they are the most likely way of the virus returning. Just ask NZ, Taiwan & Australia, who can’t stop citizen from returning from other countries, but have had outbreaks of the virus from quarantine workers. Those Countries have got to zero cases recently.
    I know you have pointed to Australia and New Zealand in the past as examples of how countries can "get to zero", but they're just simply not comparable to the US...or really any other industrialized country. Australia is an island pretty much the size of the United States (Lower-48), but with about 8% of the population of the US (~26 million vs 331 million). Almost 25% of Australia's citizens live in Sydney.

The point I'm making is when it comes to pandemics like COVID - population density matters...A LOT. There is a reason why NYC, northern NJ, Philly, DC, and LA got hit as hard as they did - they have a shitload of people living on top of each other...sharing the same elevators, taxis, metro, etc.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I know you have pointed to Australia and New Zealand in the past as examples of how countries can "get to zero", but they're just simply not comparable to the US...or really any other industrialized country. Australia is an island pretty much the size of the United States (Lower-48), but with about 8% of the population of the US (~26 million vs 331 million). Almost 25% of Australia's citizens live in Sydney.

The point I'm making is when it comes to pandemics like COVID - population density matters...A LOT. There is a reason why NYC, northern NJ, Philly, DC, and LA got hit as hard as they did - they have a shitload of people living on top of each other...sharing the same elevators, taxis, metro, etc.
    Between Sydney and Melbourne commuting zones, that is 50% of the population. Two cities about 5million each but 600 miles apart. Auckland has half of NZ population. I think both countries free public healthcare and the 98% social distancing & mask wearing compliance is also a big factor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    Between Sydney and Melbourne commuting zones, that is 50% of the population. Two cities about 5million each but 600 miles apart. Auckland has half of NZ population. I think both countries free public healthcare and the 98% social distancing & mask wearing compliance is also a big factor.
    98% social distancing?

That’s a bullshit figure. There is no possible way they could quantify social distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98% social distancing?

That’s a bullshit figure. There is no possible way they could quantify social distancing.

Well 98% of the country has no people in it so the social distancing is great there...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Well 98% of the country has no people in it so the social distancing is great there...

Good point. In terms of land mass, that's probably not an unreasonable figure.

98% social distancing?

I think he meant that they are an island. With rigid immigration. Much easier to contain something when you control what comes in and out

Funny how the Australian open had to go into lockdown