Page 57 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5556575859 ... LastLast

Re: OBJ Trade offers

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Pretty much the bit in bold. By the time they call EDC they should have made their minds up and that kind of argument already put to bed. If you believe he is so scheme dependant that he is not a good LT fit for you, you simply don't call.

Absolutely. Young, cheap and good player is the only kind of player that EDC would entertain as part of the trade. The Giants' one is of the school of "Look, how about a low pick and this underachieveing/expensive player I'm not keeping anyway?" Like Chicago fans including ARob in the trade, or the Mike Williams one with the Chargers.
    Every team's fanbase wants to pawn off a player that they don't intend on keeping like it's some big trade chip that we're going to want, it's too funny. The fact the fanbases immediately got on board with trading Mike Williams, A-Rob, Evan Engram basically tells me all I need to know. Fans almost never propose legitimately fair trades, they want the illusion of a fair trade where their team actually wins.

It would be like Ravens fans wanting to trade for Calvin Ridley and saying

"How about we give you Matt Judon on the franchise tag + a 2nd round pick, fair deal, Judon is really good"

Blog Entries

In the Giants case this trade came from the media and not a fan but I think the same thing applies. The local media who cover a team are looking at things the same way as fans. They follow the team year after year and are going to propose something tilted into their teams favor. That's part of the problem with the rumors. They are often started by some biased party

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Every team's fanbase wants to pawn off a player that they don't intend on keeping like it's some big trade chip that we're going to want, it's too funny. The fact the fanbases immediately got on board with trading Mike Williams, A-Rob, Evan Engram basically tells me all I need to know. Fans almost never propose legitimately fair trades, they want the illusion of a fair trade where their team actually wins.

It would be like Ravens fans wanting to trade for Calvin Ridley and saying

"How about we give you Matt Judon on the franchise tag + a 2nd round pick, fair deal, Judon is really good"

This is spot on .... We are not taking a player "Robinson, Williams on a franchise tag" that they may or may not let walk.

DeCosta is too smart ....I'm convinced he told Brown and his agent the asking price was draft capital only and likely a format ....Example a #1 and a second pick the #2-#4 range. Then when he has multiple interested parties which everyone seems to agree that there is...He will simply ask for their best offer or play the Jags against the Chargers (just an example) against he other to extract a little extra (The teams were just an example).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pappas View Post
    I've spent some time trying to determine what a "fair" Orlando Brown Jr. trade would look like. It's not an easy thing to determine, though there are a number of trades I feel have the potential to be agreeable to both teams. Which of the following do you prefer, if any?

A) Ravens deal Brown Jr. to the Colts for their #21 and #117. Chart value =860

B) Ravens deal Brown Jr. to the Jaguars for their #33 and #65. Chart value =845

C) Ravens deal Brown Jr. AND our #58 to the Chargers for their #13. Chart value =830
    I asked Jags fans on Twitter if they'd be agreeable to the "B" offer above (#33 & #65 for Brown, Jr.) and the results thus far (roughly 50+ votes) are 55% in favor. Regardless, I would not be surprised to see EDC get a better deal, if he does in fact deal Brown, Jr. Time will tell... it always does.

If a GM questions Orlando as a player because of the scheme then they probably shouldn't trade for him at all, he's going to need a huge extension, if you believe in him enough to give him 18-20M APY then you also believe in him enough to make a fair trade for a player of that magnitude.

Either a GM/staff believes in what they see on film or they don't. It's not that different than evaluating 1st round prospects for the draft, some guys have a ton of tape, some guys don't. Either you believe in the player enough to make the big investment or you don't.
    That's what I've been saying for a while now.

Plus, next year is a year we should be expecting to contend. That last year of Zeus' deal is VERY valuable to us; especially if you consider how important strong OL play is to our scheme.

We should be getting a 1 & a 3 minimum to consider it. A team willing to pay him near top LT money should be willing to give up that kind of capital, if they believe in him the way they would if they make that kind of financial investment.

If we can't get a 1 & 3, his market is probably more in line with top RT money, and we might actually be able to resign him. That would be the best case scenario, IMO. So, personally, I think EDC holds out for a 1 & 3 or better. Otherwise, just keep him for this run, and then try to resign him in FA.

If a GM questions Orlando as a player because of the scheme then they probably shouldn't trade for him at all

Yes, this is exactly what I and many others have been saying from the get-go. The ball is in the court of 31 other GMs to see exactly how confidently value him as a LT and therefore how much they are willing to offer the Ravens to acquire his services. Do they value him more as a left tackle than his current team does as a right tackle and back up on the left side for one more year? That will be a steep price to pry him loose, demanding a high level of confidence it's worth that price.

... It's not that different than evaluating 1st round prospects for the draft.

The evaluation process is similar, sure. You watch tape, grade the player, consider the level of competition, factor in the intangibles, and project him doing the things your scheme will require.

When you make this evaluation on a first round talent, the stakes are higher than a third round selection, which has higher stakes than a fifth round pick. So you need to have a correspondingly higher level of confidence.

The decision on trading for Orlando versus drafting a first round tackle is a case where the biggest difference is in the fact that the stakes are even higher, still in the case of the trade. We're talking about giving up that pick, maybe more, plus possibly committing tens of millions of guaranteed dollars in a new contract. The difference is that you have to be SUPER sure about making that move. You have to be super sure he's a better option than anything you can do in the draft or free agency.

My view is that there are relatively known and unknown factors that work in favor and against that decision, depending on how you see them. On the positive side he's performed against NFL talent, something you don't get to see in the draft. And he's proven to be fine in the intangible area, which was a question coming out three years ago. The unknowns are whether playing left tackle in the Ravens scheme, where defenders are totally focused on stopping the run and the mobile QB, skews the evaluation. It's sort of like having questions about the level of competition. It's reasonable to wonder whether he faced an elite blitzer going all out to get to the QB more than a handful of times in ten games.

We can all have opinions about these questions but, back to your first statement, it's a question of what the opinions are of 31 other GMs and personnel directors.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pappas View Post
    I asked Jags fans on Twitter if they'd be agreeable to the "B" offer above (#33 & #65 for Brown, Jr.) and the results thus far (roughly 50+ votes) are 55% in favor. Regardless, I would not be surprised to see EDC get a better deal, if he does in fact deal Brown, Jr. Time will tell... it always does.
    I bet that they will do better as well ....My step father lived in Jax until he passed away. They are really dreamers as a whole IMO ...Every holiday season I had to watch a couple games and listen to their stuff.

What I've thought all along. Get what they want or enjoy playing RT Zeus Jr.
    https://pressboxonline.com/2021/02/2...own-jr-unless/

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    What I've thought all along. Get what they want or enjoy playing RT Zeus Jr.
    https://pressboxonline.com/2021/02/2...own-jr-unless/

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    Yep. Also one thing people fail to realize is we are trading 15m in surplus cap value along with OBJ. The Browns essentially traded 18m in cap space to acquire a 2nd rd pick a couple years ago. So the "lesser value" Mueller refers to is not just a 3rd rd pick, it is also a 2nd rounder for the 15m in EV cap space the other team would be getting in the deal with Brown playing for 4m vs 19m, his true market value.

So now we take the Tunsil deal as a blueprint? Lmao. Because that's what Mueller is saying. Which is bonkers, I though we'd all agreed two firsts for OBJ was unrealistic. And it is, unless you just want to set yourself up for a L or faux outrage because EDC traded him for #33 and #65 or whatever.

He's also saying the Ravens should:

Exhaust all avenues before trading him
    Find a way to make it work
    Look at some other options down the road

Which sound both incredibly obvious and/or vague. And ends up with a “I think I would sleep a lot better knowing my two [offensive tackles] have been firmed up, even if I have to pay them excess money.”, (well no shit Sherlock) apparently oblivious to the fact that we are where we are because OBJ doesn't want to play RT.

My ideal Situation for the OL

Sign Corey Linsley

Draft Vera-Tucker and start him at RG and hope a team's LT goes down before the trade deadline. That way Tucker gets some warm up reps then takes over at RT

Or

A LT doesn't go down and we get a full year of Tucker next OBJ. Should be a damn good OL. Then let OBJ walk, take the comp pick, move Tucker to RT.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    My ideal Situation for the OL

Sign Corey Linsley

Draft Vera-Tucker and start him at RG and hope a team's LT goes down before the trade deadline. That way Tucker gets some warm up reps then takes over at RT

Or

A LT doesn't go down and we get a full year of Tucker next OBJ. Should be a damn good OL. Then let OBJ walk, take the comp pick, move Tucker to RT.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Stanley-Bozeman-Linsley-Tucker-OBJ

Or Stanley-Bozeman-Linsley-Tucker-Wagner