Page 64 of 111 FirstFirst ... 6263646566 ... LastLast

Re: OBJ Trade offers

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    I think when you factor in what OBJ desires and when you look at team rosters, the field becomes pretty narrow as to who the trade partners could be. We most likely will not trade him to anyone in the AFCN so let's look at the other divisions.

AFC South - only two teams make sense here, Colts and Jags.

Colts - can only offer the 1st. They don't have a 2nd and I believe 3rd since they made the trade for Wentz. But the question here is would the do it when they can draft a cheaper guy. Secondly, I'd question the fit. I think OBJ excels here, in Baltimore, because we are primarily a power/gap team, I'm not sure his skills translate highly to a zone based team and this is what GMs have to think about. So there are a lot of factors GM's have to look at. Basically, just because OBJ excelled here as a LT does not mean he'd excel elsewhere, so the argument that you don't know what you are getting with a draft pick also applies here too. If I'm a zone based team I don't know what I'm getting with OBJ. So why not gamble on the cheaper guy?

Jags - This seems to make a lot of sense, but again, it's the fit that GMs need to be thinking about. We don't know what the Jags will be. Primarily Zone based scheme (if they are building around Lawrence, this is most likely going to be the case) or power/gap?

AFC East

Patriots - OBJ would be an massive upgrade for them over former Raven Eluemunor and he fits what they ran last year with Newton at QB and Harris at HB.

AFC West

Chargers - The entire line is in shambles. They are looking to trade Trai Turner as well. Bulaga right now seems to be their only starting Offensive lineman. This could be a sweet landing spot, pending what they do on offense.

Broncos - Bolles was on thin ice but they kept him for last season but I seriously question this because again, Denver is primarily a zone based team. It's only going to make sense if the GM thinks Brown translates well to it.

That's the AFC so there's not as many suitors IMO as some think because a smart GM is going to recognize that they run a particular scheme and they are going to do the homework and ask themselves some tough questions about whether they think Brown can play in it. So no matter how much we value Brown, the pro bowls ect, GMs are not looking at this the way fans are. Some will be perfectly fine drafting a T over OBJ because if they run a zone scheme and they don't think Brown will excel in it, why would they sign him to a long term deal when they can just draft a guy that fits their zone scheme for cheap?

So there's more to this than just Brown played LT, he went to two pro bowls so teams should be salivating.

The NFC I have the following teams as possibles

NFC East -Giants, Football team maybe.
    NFC West - Nobody. You might say Seahawks, I say, they don't have the proper capital unless they want to send Metcalf
    NFC South - Panthers (but Rhule isn't a power/gap scheme guy)
    NFC North - Bears (maybe, but Nagy seems to be more zone based); Lions (might be satisfied with Taylor Decker); Vikings (this could be a good spot if they project him as a fit, I don't know their scheme)

So based on this I don't think there are as many suitors as we'd like to think. Some of this is also probably why a deal has not been found. It's not just EDC is waiting on the right offer. He is, but other GM's are asking if he's the right player for what they do on offense, so a lot of evaluation has to be done. And no matter what we think of OBJ a smart GM is going to evaluate his team and what they do on offense and go back and examine Brown and think about if he is a fit for their scheme. If there is any question on his part, he'll just turn to the draft because he doesn't know what he's getting either way. Take the cheaper deal.

It's going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. I think Brown will be suiting up for the Ravens one more year because I don't think the teams who are similar scheme wise will offer EDC what he wants and I think other teams might have issues projecting him into their heavy zone based scheme.
    From what I've been reading online you could add Kansas City and possibly San Francisco to that list depending on what happens with Trent Williams.
    I would think once Williams contract situation is sorted out that's going to reset the market for Brown with many of the teams listed above in terms of acquiring a veteran LT.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

2. Re: OBJ Trade offers

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    From what I've been reading online you could add Kansas City and possibly San Francisco to that list depending on what happens with Trent Williams.
    I would think once Williams contract situation is sorted out that's going to reset the market for Brown with many of the teams listed above in terms of acquiring a veteran LT.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    I didn't add San Fran because it looks like they will bring Trent Williams back. I also did not add KC because I think they like Fisher there, they just want a back up. Secondly KC is not going to be able to pay OBJ unless they strip down their roster and get rid of a lot of guys. They are in worse money shape than most other teams so to me the Chiefs have to go via draft or just start cutting a lot of players so I did not add those two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I don't know how you can say with certainty that Orlando Brown is an elite NFL LT. Very small sample size, in a very unique offense.

Maybe he will be, but it is definitely not a guarantee.
    Certainly a lot more guatanteed than anything you can regularly find in the draft. Otherwise the league would be awash with LT talent, and that's not the case by any stretch of the imagination.
    Not every team will think OBJ is elite and amongst those who do, some won't have the cap space to sign him long term. But you only need one.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Correct, that confirms EDC values him more than the market, EDC was never part of the market. His value is determined by the market, of which he has no part. He controls the final sale price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eh. Was thinking more that EDC is 1/32 the market, but fair point.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The flipside of that is that most people undervalue cap costs. A tackle drafted in 2021 who is comparable in skill level to OBJ is worth WAY more.

OBJ will be taking up $15-$18MM in cap space, at least, on average, from 2022-2024. That will be at least $45MM and possibly over $60MM in actual cap costs. That is a SHITLOAD of money that you could do a lot of other things with.

Let's call it the "Tunsil Effect." What you get in predictability (i.e. the opposite of potential) you are going to pay for with hard cold cash. And in this case, also draft capital.
    Again, you’re assuming that said draft pick can step in and play at once at a high level

One team noone is really mentioning is the dolphins they have a huge need at LT and have already wasted one of those Tunsil firsts on a guy who can't play.

Another option is the Bills. Dawkins is not a LT and gets abused often in pass protection. It would make a ton of sense for them to move Dawkins to RT which there is a void anyways due to Williams upcoming UFA.

With Allen still on his rookie deal for two more years they could easily afford to pay both of them.

Another option is the Giants. Solder has been an absolute disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Not precisely. If he's not traded, that means EDC values him more than the best offer, we just can't quantify what that means he's worth to us.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    ... or that DeCosta thinks he might be able to get a better offer if he holds out.

I think what your saying is more likely, but I don't think we can rule out that he could already have an offer that's good enough.

So what's the hold up? Dude ain't getting traded

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    Again, you’re assuming that said draft pick can step in and play at once at a high level
    Which is not impossible.
    Orlando Brown was certainly better than. Austin Jackson this year(pick #18), but Jackson played credibly as a rookie for Miami despite being the 5th or 6th tackle off the hoard and considered a reach by almost everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    One team noone is really mentioning is the dolphins they have a huge need at LT and have already wasted one of those Tunsil firsts on a guy who can't play.

Another option is the Bills. Dawkins is not a LT and gets abused often in pass protection. It would make a ton of sense for them to move Dawkins to RT which there is a void anyways due to Williams upcoming UFA.

With Allen still on his rookie deal for two more years they could easily afford to pay both of them.

Another option is the Giants. Solder has been an absolute disaster
    Did you watch the ‘Phins play?
    Austin Jackson wasn’t a world beater but He played to a league average level or thereabouts.
    Their need is not that great at all, Robert Hunt was a bit weaker at RT and with Tua being a lefty RT is probably more important.
    Hunt will likely be better at Guard, and Jackson at RT may be a good fit, so I’m not saying they AREN’T an option, simply not a slam dunk either. Here are not that many options at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    1. Salary Cap is not yet known
    2. Teams expecting record number of good players released next week because of cap constraints.
    3. Teams should reach an agreement with OBJ and his agent on his future deal before the trade happens
    4. EDC has no need to rush to accept the first offer.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the trade happens next week, just before FA. Is it worth holding up for a possible extra 4th round pick (or similar value) or you'd rather hit FA from Day 1 knowing where you stand regarding OBJ and the RT position?

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Gotta wait until FA starts, teams are likely playing the waiting game to see what they can cook up without trading high picks. Makes sense, Ravens asking price is premium and teams want to see how FA plays out