Page 54 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5253545556 ... LastLast

Re: OBJ Trade offers

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I think what's really over inflated are 1st round draft picks. Especially beyond the top 10. There's a trend starting to develop where teams are cashing in their 1st round picks for proven NFL talent.

Look at what the Colts did last year. They traded #13 overall for DeForest Buckner and then paid him big money. The alternative was likely Javon Kinlaw who just so happened to be drafted by the team they traded the pick to, and there was a talent drop off. The Bills traded #22 overall for Stefon Diggs because they didn't want to take a chance in the draft on WR, a very volatile position as we know.

If you're a team like the Jags (#25) or even the Colts (#21) again this year, with their cap resources, would you rather have a more proven commodity like OBJ or are you rolling the dice on the 5th or 6th best tackle prospect in this draft? I think it's a pretty easy decision. Especially given the demand and shortage of quality NFL OT's right now.
    Brandin Cooks was traded for a first round draft pick.
    Twice!
    I bet half the players drafted in round one never live up to the predraft hype.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Who knew a running offense was now a "gimmick" offense.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Brandin Cooks was traded for a first round draft pick.
    Twice!
    I bet half the players drafted in round one never live up to the predraft hype.

And that's a risk you take. But the bevy of actually good players on rookie deals is what helps team win. That's why picks still have so much value.

4. Re: OBJ Trade offers

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    I think another key thing to mention when talking about The Colts and The Bills is that both those teams were in win now mode. I'm not sure if that's ultimately the case with a team like The Jaguars whom just hired a former college head coach to be their head coach. No team should want to have a losing season but i'm not sure if The Jaguars are in a position to be a considered a super bowl or bust team. They also have needs beyound just needing a quarterback and left tackle. If anything they probably should be smart to use their picks to gain more picks to help rebuild their team if they feel like the talent in this year draft can help them instead of giving up picks for one player.
    That’s absurd to think that a team would say no to locking up to their LT position because in their head they’re thinking “nah, we plan on sucking for a couple more years. Hopefully Lawrence doesn’t get Tim Couched. Whatever happens happens.” I don’t get some of y’all’s thought process.

You guys are so “by the book” when it comes to building a team. Which pretty much consists of just drafting good players and only keeping the ones willing to take a low ball offer. Never pay somebody their market value, wait until they’re a UFA and settle for a comp pick instead of trading for premium picks, and god forbid signing anybody who wasn’t a throw away roster cut from another team. Have to load up on those 6th round comp picks!

Bills and Colts aren’t in “win now” mode. They’re in “‘make our team better so we can compete with the Chiefs” mode. As should every other team be.
    Last edited by DeltaRaven; 02-26-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    If Trent Williams went to Jax it would only be for the money. They are rebuilding. In their case you want an over 30 guy or a 25 one.
    No question they would rather have OBJ based on age. But I could see them going after Trent Williams as a stop gap if they aren't willing to part with the amount of draft capital the Ravens are looking for.

At the end of the day I still see them pulling the trigger in the coming weeks and Orlando ending up a Jag... but Trent is the biggest piece still in play for a LT needy team

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Not everyone shares the same opinion of Brown as some in this fan base. Paul Alexander who was the Bengals offensive line coach for almost 25 years was on 105.7 and said that not in a million years would he want Brown playing LT for him. This is a guy that coached in the league for a long time and knows OL play saying that, not Vinny Cerrato or some other talking head. I understand there are people in the media who feel the opposite and that Brown is a cornerstone as well. That there is no consensus opinion on Brown I think is why projections in his value and potential compensation are all over the place. We'll just have to wait and see if and when he is traded what the compensation is. I don't think any of us that think the compensation will be back half of the first or second round will be disappointed if they end up with a higher first lol.
    Which to me is just a biased take from a guy who was heavily involved with a division rival and wanting us to get as little for him as possible. You don't work for an organization for 20+ years and not have a deep connection/bias towards them. We would all bash a division rival's players on the trade block too, it's a subconscious game of trying to drive their value down as to not help that team succeed. The PFF pass blocking grades completely refute what he's saying as well as the tape

There is plenty of tape of OBJ on pure passing reps against the likes of TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, and Frank Clark and he's more than held his own. Orlando is a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker, the narrative that he's only successful in the framework of a run first offense is asinine. Being able to get after guys in the run game is probably his biggest weakness as a Tackle because he's not the best athlete or most mobile guy.

Myself and many others actually think OBJ ascends even further as a LT when he gets out of this offense and into a more traditional passing offense that won't ask him to do as much athletically as a mobile run blocker

So the fact JO said almost the same thing is just a coincidence.. or also biased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    So the fact JO said almost the same thing is just a coincidence.. or also biased?

Source? Would have to give it a read/listen

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Source? Would have to give it a read/listen
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bal...outputType=amp

Cincy guy was more “he can’t play LT in a real scheme.
    JO was more like “can he play LT in a real scheme” “I don’t know”.

The only area of criticism I saw came in:

“But he was with the No. 1 running offense in the league that runs a lot with a quarterback who is super athletic. Can you play in a passing offense where you’re expected to pass block most of the time? Can you make the transition? I don’t know the answer to that.”

I don't think JO has been watching all-22 and evaluating him rep-by-rep. This just sounds like a quick take based on watching the games live. I would definitely say, yes. I'm far less impressed with OBJ as a run blocker than I am as a pass blocker. That's his element. The PFF pass pro grades back that up, he's been top 10 in passing blocking the last two seasons and left much to be desired as a run blocker.

JO is in fact playing devil's advocate that he should stay but understanding why he's chasing money. That take seems to coincide with wanting him to stay in Baltimore as evidenced by him saying "I don’t think he really wants to leave, just wants to get paid. Maybe it is a ploy to see what the Ravens have. I don’t know, but I’d love to see him stay a Raven"

I watched the all-22 all season and walked away saying "he would be even better if he wasn't asked to do so much athletically as a run blocker", it's not his strength but he still does a solid job, in a traditional passing offense I think he could be even better, keep him in his wheelhouse

The Cincy guy said not in a million years would he want Brown playing LT for him.
    Ogden said I'm not sute if he can play LT in a normal scheme. Two very different comments lol. He did play in a normal scheme quite successfully.at Oklahoma protecting the blindside of Baker Mayfield. That was college though. I will note the ten games he played at LT in the NFL really didn't do anything to show that he couldn't. Not a guarantee but certainly more of one than any college kid entering the draft can provide.
    I heard one analyst say it would be easier to block for a pocket passer than Lamar because the OT always knows where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    The only area of criticism I saw came in:

“But he was with the No. 1 running offense in the league that runs a lot with a quarterback who is super athletic. Can you play in a passing offense where you’re expected to pass block most of the time? Can you make the transition? I don’t know the answer to that.”

I don't think JO has been watching all-22 and evaluating him rep-by-rep. This just sounds like a quick take based on watching the games live. I would definitely say, yes. I'm far less impressed with OBJ as a run blocker than I am as a pass blocker. That's his element. The PFF pass pro grades back that up, he's been top 10 in passing blocking the last two seasons and left much to be desired as a run blocker.

JO is in fact playing devil's advocate that he should stay but understanding why he's chasing money. That take seems to coincide with wanting him to stay in Baltimore as evidenced by him saying "I don’t think he really wants to leave, just wants to get paid. Maybe it is a ploy to see what the Ravens have. I don’t know, but I’d love to see him stay a Raven"

I watched the all-22 all season and walked away saying "he would be even better if he wasn't asked to do so much athletically as a run blocker", it's not his strength but he still does a solid job, in a traditional passing offense I think he could be even better, keep him in his wheelhouse
    Sure, if you ignore the context of those pass block snaps and ignore the effect all those running downs have on the opposing DL’s stamina, then yes what you say would be correct.