Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast

Re: 2021 -Ravens Edge Rushers

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think Collins would be a bit of a project as a pass rusher initially. He isn't going to be an edge rusher from day 1 like one of the other guys
    And it is just as well. It's obvious this team loves its OLBs to be the 33/33/34% type of guys who can do pass rush/run defense/coverage rather than your Ngakoue's 70/15/15.
    The kind of player you know Wink will know what to do with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I would rather they draft Collins and move him to EDGE than just about anyone else listed at EDGE. Great fit for this defense.
    Hey WNCR, I "drafted" Collins with the Saints 1st (#28) in our Mock Draft. Does that make up for my drafting Kyle Trask in the late 3rd? I just had to ask... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Thats why you sign a Justin Houston for someone like Collins to learn from. have him in on early downs and spell at times on passing situations.
    The availability of a few reasonably good FA edge options would seem to increase the likelihood that they draft one of the Uber-athletic/needs development edge guys in the second round and use the first pick for BPA at OL or WR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Thats why you sign a Justin Houston for someone like Collins to learn from. have him in on early downs and spell at times on passing situations.

But don't The Ravens already have a veteran edge rusher in Pernell Mcphee that a guy like Collins can learn from?

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    (1) from WalterFootball :

" Player Comparison: Cam Jordan. In terms of style of play, Basham reminds me of Jordan. Jordan (6-4, 287) and Basham are almost identical in size while being tough at the point of attack and possessing more speed than one would expect from a thick, heavy base end. Jordan was a late first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft and a steal for the Saints. Basham could go in the same range in the 2021 NFL Draft and end up being a very good value for his pro team. "

(2) from PFN :

" Analysis: Basham is a defensive prospect who checks all the boxes — instincts, intensity, and athleticism. He was asked to do more than to rush the passer at Wake Forest and effectively handled assignments, but when let loose at the Senior Bowl as a pass rusher, he was a dominant force. I prefer Basham in a system that stands him over tackle, and he comes with a large upside.
    Some people are more inspired by Basham’s power, move variety, and high IQ, and thus, he still has some merit as a Day 2 prospect. That’s reasonable. I personally see him as more of a Round 3 to early Day 3 pick. He can provide solid depth and rotational ability early on, but I’m not sure if he can ever be a premier edge rusher with his lacking athleticism. "

(3) nflmockdraftdatabase.com :

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...rlos-basham-jr

A player definitely worth a look by EDC... Bc

P.S. - Lax, having a monster year for the Jags in our RSR Mock, selected Basham in the 2nd round @ #45.
    Last edited by BcRaven; 04-12-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Hey WNCR, I "drafted" Collins with the Saints 1st (#28) in our Mock Draft. Does that make up for my drafting Kyle Trask in the late 3rd? I just had to ask... Bc
    Ummm..... sure yes it totally makes up for it! Wait, doesn't making up for something happen after the something??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Yes, I got Rumph confused with Roche in the post below:

Love Rumph's tape.....speed, bend, quickness, has moves, good hands, rushes from various spots.
    But he's small fella...looks more like a blitzing Safety then a edge rusher....reminds me of Josh Uche....but smaller and Uche was small. Haven't seen official numbers from the "combine/proday" but on paper he's 6'3-235 in reality who knows? My guess is 6'2-225:
    But, I really like this kid mid-late-udfa? He's likely to small to stand up on the edge in the pros. Position change to 43 Sam? Or might he be an hgh cycle away from being a "designated pass rusher"?
    Forgot to mention Chris Rumph's proday measurables: came in at 244lbs that's a huge win for him, but he didn't do any athletic testing. Probably put on the weight just to have his official weight listed at 244

Chris Rumph II
    Height: 6-2 7/8
    Weight: 244
    Hand: 9 2/8
    Arm: 33 6/8
    Wingspan: 80
    Bench Press: 18
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

In The Athletic Jeff Zrebiec just posted a super interesting article deciphering the Ravens' philosophy at edge rusher. He quotes DeCosta saying,

"This year quarterbacks got the ball out faster than ever before. We faced a lot of teams this year that were the fastest teams at getting the ball out of their hands. Sacks were down this year in the league (and) pressures were down this year. I still think you have to have a pass rush, especially when you’re playing a play-action-type team, but there were a lot of teams this year that refused to be sacked and the ball is coming out very, very fast. We saw that quite a bit.”

Zrebiec supports the sack-related statement by pointing out that sacks are down 12% in the last three years. And he gives the high percentages of throws that now come out in 2.75 and 2.5 seconds or less. At the same time he casts doubt on EDC's claim that they faced more quick throwers than other teams. While Roethlisberger fits the mold, the trend isn't schedule dependent as much as a general trend.

He goes on to say all this explains why the team values pressures over sacks. For the record, the Ravens were fourth in QB Pressures and second in QB knockdowns. (Steelers were first in both).

I know there will be people here who bristle at this line of thinking and will react by saying it's an excuse for not investing in a true sack guy. Agree or disagree with the philosophy, at least there is some logic to it.

What he doesn't say is, in addition to balls coming out faster, I can also see a trend toward more mobile QBs. It stands to reason that relying on a sack artist may not be effective when the QB is not going to be be a stationary target in the pocket. When teams face Lamar Jackson, for instance, containing the edges and pressuring from the middle seems to be more effective than sending a speed rusher at him, and watching him fly by as Lamar sidesteps him.

In Wink's blitz heavy scheme he can do just that with pressure coming from anywhere. You started to see how effective Queen was at times coming from up the middle.

His scheme also relies on versatility, which Zrebiec details. Judon was certainly valued (by virtue of the franchise tag) for these traits. Bowser is less of a pure rusher, but was retained.

As we look ahead to the draft next week, I think you can test these theories by applying them to the Edge prospects and ask if they fit the mold of a versatile "Ravens" rush OLB. The guys closer to 270 lbs and can move probably fit better than the guys who are 250 lbs. Ojulari is probably not a fit on this count. Ossai and Perkins, too.

Jayson Oweh is interesting in that, while not thick, he's long and extremely versatile. The knock that he "didn't have production" at PSU may not be as valid when overlayed to the above discussion.

For those who like Jaelan Phillips for the Ravens, he comes with the versatility tag. Joe Tryon is also an excellent match in terms of traits. Rashad Weaver could be a good value-fit further down the board.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Love Basham.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    In The Athletic Jeff Zrebiec just posted a super interesting article deciphering the Ravens' philosophy at edge rusher. He quotes DeCosta ...
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shas again.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll go read the Athletic piece.

Blog Entries

In the book Next Man Up they speak with Eric DeCosta about 1 particular draft prospect at Edge who just loved. He was his favorite prospect and the next year the Ravens did draft him in the 2nd round. That guy was Dan Cody of Oklahoma. Cody had injury issues completely wrecked his career but I still remember DeCosta all excited about him watching him in college the year before. I need to find my copy and see what it was about Cody that he liked so much. Even 15 years later there might be some good insight.