Page 187 of 324 FirstFirst ... 185186187188189 ... LastLast
Results 2,233 to 2,244 of 3880

Re: Official 2021 Off-Season News/Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    The fact that the Jags traded Josh Oliver (a 2019 3rd round TE) for virtually nothing to us but then turned around and signed Tebow to give TE shot is beyond embarrassing imo. There's no doubt who has the better chance of succeeding based on age and experience at the position.

Bad football swap, excellent money grab if he does in fact make the roster. Urban Meyer is definitely a Tebow homer but even he should know just how ridiculous this move is.
    There's one thing we're forgetting here, and that is that Tebow is not a guarantee at all.

Jacksonville's TE room is pretty bad looking, but they have a FA from Carolina (Chris Manhertz), a draft pick (Luke Farrell), a draft pick from last year (Tyler Davis), and an NFL vet (James O'Shaughnessy) for Tebow to beat out for a roster spot.

If he's brought into camp and subsequently cut before the season starts, it's not a big deal.

Blog Entries

Tebow will sell jerseys. I don't think there is much else to this other than it being a business signing.

I don't really care at all about Tebow. Whatev's...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't really care at all about Tebow. Whatev's...
    ten pages deep and no one cares about him...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    All the Culkin brothers are crazy.

That's why they don't leave me "Home Alone" ... Bc

"That's what."
    — She

The fact that the Jags traded Josh Oliver (a 2019 3rd round TE) for virtually nothing to us but then turned around and signed Tebow to give TE shot is beyond embarrassing imo. There's no doubt who has the better chance of succeeding based on age and experience at the position.

Bad football swap, excellent money grab if he does in fact make the roster. Urban Meyer is definitely a Tebow homer but even he should know just how ridiculous this move is.
    I never got Oliver in the 3rd. So when people say he was a 3rd round pick yes he was but it comes with the caveat is that the Jags reached to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    I never got Oliver in the 3rd. So when people say he was a 3rd round pick yes he was but it comes with the caveat is that the Jags reached to take him.
    Still, if you're trying to have the best TE room possible who do you want?

A 24 year old, 6'5, D1 TE who was a mid-late round talent in the 2019 NFL draft...

Or a soon-to-be 34 year old, 6'3, QB who has been out of the NFL for almost a decade and has essentially no experience playing TE

From a football perspective that's a terrible roster swap to make

Blog Entries

A 24 year old, 6'5, D1 TE who was a mid-late round talent in the 2019 NFL draft...

Or a soon-to-be 34 year old, 6'3, QB who has been out of the NFL for almost a decade and has essentially no experience playing TE

a 24 year old TE that has been on IR both years he's been in the league (and the new coaching staff has no ties)
    OR a guy that the fanbase worships that can sell tix and merchandise and will be a workout warrior? (and he won a national title for the coach)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

He's part of the 90 not the 53. He may make the practice squad.

Blog Entries

Josh Oliver was traded for a conditional 2022 7th round pick. The condition is that he has to make the team which is clearly not guaranteed. Oliver had about as little value as a player can have. If someone was offering something better they would have taken it. The Jaguars swapped one long shot to make their roster for another.

The fact the Ravens gave up something to get Oliver tells me that he would have had interest with other organizations and so they needed to offersomething to assure they could get him into the building.

While it's interesting to look at it as choosing Tebow over Oliver, that probably does not portray their actually thinking. They cleaned house in a major way with coaches and players. It's almost like the 2020 Jags didn't exist and they started from scratch.

While you can't place too much weight over where a player was drafted, I think it's unfair to say he was completely overdrafted in the third round. When I looked he was typically called a late riser, anywhere from rounds 3-5, and a good final college season would probably make him a Day Two pick. That said, the fifth pick of the third round is pretty damn high. That's five picks after DK Metcalf went and 17 picks higher than Mark Andrews went the year prior.

I look at it like this: if he had been given a lot of opportunity in Jacksonville and flopped, I'd not be optimistic about turning around his career. But the issue has been availability. He might turn out the be another Dan Cody / Sergio Kindle type. But if he's healthy, I think there is a reason for some optimism he can give them what Hurst gave them.
    "That's what."
    — She