Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 2021 Ravens Passing Game - What will it take to get over the hump?

We need to spread the field and stop packing it.

Lamar needs to read the defense and anticipate.

Our line isn't great but it's good enough to be an average passing team

Most of this lies directly at the feet of roman and lamar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Lamar doing a better job finding open receivers.

Receivers making plays for Lamar without it having to be a perfectly placed ball. We may need a FA WR to make this happen.

The IOL improving and creating a more stable pocket for Lamar

Roman trusting Lamar enough to add some complexity to the passing game.
    What type or which FA WRs are you looking at?

I don't think its a matter of Roman trusting Lamar to add more complexity to the pass game.
    Lamar ran more complex passing concepts at Louisiville.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Don't snap over Lamar's head?
    Amen. The snapping issues throws doubt over 2 OG that would be perceived much better if they ghost of errant snaps didn't hover over them.

Mostly, better oline. When healthy, the Ravens have 2/5 good oline. When Stanley was hurt it was down to 1. The best number for any type of normal oline is 5. The Browns have 4/5 very good oliners and the 5th is a rookie first round pick. So, it's not like it's unheard of to have 4 very good oliners. The Ravens should have that....

If you look at the only actual important game the Ravens lost, there was a ton of suck out of the Center, Right Guard and Right Tackle positions. That oline suckage clearly effected the game.

Fix that.
    I think they need upgrades at Center and RG and huge upgrade at RT depth.
    Moving Bozeman back to Center could be step.

Also, there was one single really bad play. And that was the -14 Int. How does that get fixed?

It does not at all get fixed by a short and fast WR. Putting another short and fast WR on the field in that situation probably makes things worse. Lamar looked for his big target (the others were small, or at least smaller), his target, Andrews, seemed pretty covered, but Lamar threw it anyway.
    There are a bunch of ways both through scheme and personnel. But I like easy and the easy way is to get the QB to read the coverage correctly not get fixated on Andrews and throw the ball to the open Willie Snead for a TD.

But, Lamar would have likely been more comfortable if he wasn't under siege all game. Facing consistent pressure has a toll that affects non-pressured snaps too.

The WRs that were out there might've been the strongest available at yards after catch, but that wasn't what was needed in that situation. The Ravens should be putting another big, tall pass catcher out there when the pass catchers are in the end zone, or near the end zone.
    Some others have mentioned another receiving TE....interesting.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    nice thread. if no top WR, is there a top TE we can get? Mb recreate Gronk/Hernandez magic patriots had lots of success with.
    Lot of sentiment around this, i did a meaning boredom mock today where I had the Ravens taken a TE in the 2nd round....Hunter Long....but I haven't started looking at TEs or any draft prospects closely yet. Picked Hunter Long from reading a few scouting reports...so right now I have nothing more then general impressions on this years draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I actually never considered Hurst as a great loss. I agree that Boyle's injury hurt though.

Overall, I agree with your guys view that having another receiving threat at TE would help though.
    They would fit in to the offense as already constructed and it would add another reliable threat to an area of the field where Lamar and Roman have proven success.

So maybe this is the better path.
    In essence you could do more of the same (which is proly what Harbs/Roman want) but you could do it better.
    I get caught up in wanting to see Lamar progress to a level that I doubt Roman can take him.

Thanks for the response gents.
    I might start looking at some TEs.
    I really like Breland. He was a main target for Herbert when healthy. That’s the prob. He’s a health risk.

Maybe take one in the draft day 2 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen. The snapping issues throws doubt over 2 OG that would be perceived much better if they ghost of errant snaps didn't hover over them.

There are a bunch of ways both through scheme and personnel. But I like easy and the easy way is to get the QB to read the coverage correctly not get fixated on Andrews and throw the ball to the open Willie Snead for a TD.

But, Lamar would have likely been more comfortable if he wasn't under siege all game. Facing consistent pressure has a toll that affects non-pressured snaps too.

Think we could one good year out of Alex Mack and draft a center .? I believe he's a FA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Think we could one good year out of Alex Mack and draft a center .? I believe he's a FA.
    he's been lobbying for 9ers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nticing-thing/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If only we had spent a top 100-ish pick on a RG/T tweener we wouldn’t have the issues we have... oh wait...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    If only we had spent a top 100-ish pick on a RG/T tweener we wouldn’t have the issues we have... oh wait...
    I’m not mad over Tyree Phillips they drafted him as an OG they tried him at OT because they were desperate but that wasn’t their plan. They saw him as an OG. Maybe this year they draft someone that they themselves project as OT.

During the off-season that the biggest mistake was going into the season with quality depth at OT be it FA or draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    We need to spread the field and stop packing it.

Lamar needs to read the defense and anticipate.

Our line isn't great but it's good enough to be an average passing team

Most of this lies directly at the feet of roman and lamar.
    I agree but I don't expect Roman to become a different game planner or play caller then who he's already shown himself to be. So as much as I want to see more spread formations (and more plays run from those formations).

Lamar needs to read the field better and anticipate - Agreed. And for me this was the most frustrating part of the season; watching the deterioration of Lamar's rhythm dropback fundamentals. This is on Lamar but the coaches especially Urban have to guide him and coach him up....all signs point to Lamar being a more then willing student. I think in season work with Urban and staff is critical to seeing the field and anticipating throws and overall fundamentals but offseason work play a key role also.

The OL when healthy is decent - but the shuffling of the OTs and the yips with the centers hurt, Lamar masks alot of the funk. But the OL needs to be improve for Lamar to improve.

I’m not mad over Tyree Phillips they drafted him as an OG they tried him at OT because they were desperate but that wasn’t their plan. They saw him as an OG. Maybe this year they draft someone that they themselves project as OT.

During the off-season that the biggest mistake was going into the season with quality depth at OT be it FA or draft.
    This is a fair point.
    It is fair to have HOPED for him to be more ready-made based on his draft position. Multi-year projects usually arrive later in the draft. I am not ready to write him off, but he was not ready for NFL snaps this past season.

Blog Entries

Roman’s offense is neither conducive to a QB reaching his ceiling as a passer, or to WRs thriving. That’s the reality of this offense. You want this offense, that’s what you get with it.

Before you can develop efficiency, you’re going to have to work toward that goal, in training camp, practice and games. You can’t keep spending most of your time on your run concepts, get into the game, only throw it 20 times and wonder why it’s not fooling teams the way it did in 2019.