Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Will Fans Return in Full Force in 2021?

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Will Fans Return in Full Force in 2021?

Of course now that trump is gone the whole country will open back up 🤣🤣🤣

Blog Entries

I think all 32 teams will have their stadiums open for full capacity by September, but as for whether those stadiums will be at full capacity, I agree with your musings in the video, I am not sure. Specific to us locally, the Ravens selling PSLs at 70% off isn't something you do if demand is high, so that's pretty telling. It's obviously not a great sign if you can't sell tickets when you have one of the most exciting players in the league on your roster. There are a lot of things at play, COVID, the economic landscape, better viewing experience outside the stadium, the team and league's social justice initiatives likely putting off many of their longtime fans/season ticket holders (at least when it comes to monetarily supporting via tickets, etc., not including ratings). We'll have to see what things look like in July and August.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Tony, I live in New York City. My buddy and I have had a Mets mini-plan (@ Citi Field) for years. We got credit for 2020 and can apply it towards 2021. While the wife and I both already got the 1st COVID shot and have appointments for the 2nd (Feb. 18th), and my friend is eager to go, I won't go this year. Shots or not, I will not risk the consequences even if the risk is deemed small. At my advancing age, my physician (Dr. "A") thinks I'm doing the right thing by being cautious. So while yearning to get my old life back, I still have some miles to go and promises to keep... Bc

I think the next 2 months will ultimately determine whether or not a) stadiums are open at full capacity and b) if fans will fill those seats. Do not underestimate the power of govt to fuckup the vax rollout.
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

Blog Entries

For my part I will absolutely be there opening day if the stadium is open. I have to admit I enjoyed watching this entire season from the comforts of home and not spending 8~ hours of my Sunday on the road and in the stadium, but I can't wait to go to another game.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

It's doubtful that stadiums will fill right back up again. You have to think that thousands of PSL's have been abandoned based on the Ravens recent fire sale. And I'm thinking a lot of older fans are done for good. So.. are millenials going to start buying tickets? Doubtful.

Blog Entries

I think they may have trouble filling stadiums, even if given the green light. Like Bc above stated, a lot of people just do not want to put themselves into large crowds at this point. Especially when we just had a full season from home and found it very enjoyable.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    It's doubtful that stadiums will fill right back up again. You have to think that thousands of PSL's have been abandoned based on the Ravens recent fire sale. And I'm thinking a lot of older fans are done for good. So.. are millenials going to start buying tickets? Doubtful.
    I think they'll buy single game tickets, but not season tickets/PSLs. And they'll go, pay little attention to the game, leave at halftime to go bar hopping. The atmosphere will change even more than it already has since 2012. It is what it is. Most teams will have to grapple with this.

PSL market being something you might recoup your investment on is long over.
    back on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I agree. I usually go to one game a year and don't care if I go again.
    PS- I'm old

First, in August I think that we will still not be out of the woods - so I expect a trimmed down preseason capacity if not outright cancellation of 1-2 of those games.

I do not see people wanting to stuff themselves into 70K seat stadiums next season. There will still be fear out there. And most of the older fans will say it's not worth the risk and stay away.

Wider than that though, I see a large cross section of the fanbase that used to regularly attend games - having been through a year of watching from home - will decide that is a better option and stay home or watch in bars, etc. I said last year that this event could be the beginning of the end of stadium sports.

Regarding the Ravens deeply discounting PSLs, I can see that becoming a permanent thing.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    First, in August I think that we will still not be out of the woods - so I expect a trimmed down preseason capacity if not outright cancellation of 1-2 of those games.

I do not see people wanting to stuff themselves into 70K seat stadiums next season. There will still be fear out there. And most of the older fans will say it's not worth the risk and stay away.

Wider than that though, I see a large cross section of the fanbase that used to regularly attend games - having been through a year of watching from home - will decide that is a better option and stay home or watch in bars, etc. I said last year that this event could be the beginning of the end of stadium sports.

Regarding the Ravens deeply discounting PSLs, I can see that becoming a permanent thing.
    That’s an accurate assessment. What do you think the league and owners will do other than discounts to get fans back in the seats when appropriate? They are going to have to come up with some good stuff to make the fan experience special enough to want to attend these games moving forward. I’m sure the NFL think tank is working on it.