Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: If the Texans Hire Ravens Assistant David Culley...

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    I don't know man, I get it that you need to offer some candy if you truly want to encourage change. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure this is the way though and I wonder what happens if the team cuts the guy after just one year? Think of a team in fire sale/rebuilding mode, get a guy for 12 months and get two 3rd round comp picks. You just know there are owners/GMs who would contemplate going this route.
    It isn't the hiring team that gets the comp pick. It's the team that gave a minority candidate a chance in one of the pathway-to-head-coaching roles that gets compensated.

I'm not sure how that would help a rebuilding team to game the system.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    While I'd jump for joy if that happened, I do find something un-American about the process. I guess I'm just old-school, and am against racial inequality as the next person, but I don't see how this levels the playing field (?) Teams lose a prime player to FA and gain a 3rd round Comp Pick, other teams make a trade and acquire a 3rd round pick but have given up something else, this seems to have an unfair ring to it. So should teams hire coaches of color, hope they thrive and then are signed by another team just to get the Comp Pick(s)? Pardon me if I'm in the minority, but I don't like how this system works ... Bc
    I understand, but something continues to need to be done to encourage minority hiring because this league too often is full of retreads. You have a guy like Bienemy who has glowing recommendations from just about everyone, and he's going to miss out on a job again probably. And it can't be the "he doesn't call plays" stuff because Reid has had quite a few white candidates who don't call the offensive plays get HC jobs.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Tony, my apologies if my post (#5) brought your thread into the Politically Correct/Racial arena, but that's where it belongs. We all know that there has been racial discrimination for many, many years. There are historical facts to back that up. However, in society's attempt to right the wrongs, it has also brought other civic complications and obstacles. IMO this just serves to inflame those who want everyone to be promoted/signed for his/her personal qualifications regardless of race. Certainly the odds were against people of color for the very longest time, that was wrong because each individual should be measured by his/her own talents and skills. So I ask this question : Is reversing that a fair equaling of the position?
    Each person has to decides that for themselves... Bc
    One could also argue that as a private entity, the NFL can essentially adopt whatever minority hiring incentive structure they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Holy Social Justice batman, please go! lol
    If you don't think the NFL by its conduct over the past decades hasn't made itself horrifically vulnerable to an EEOC lawsuit, I dunno what to tell you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    ...the Ravens would receive two third-round comp picks, one in 2021 and another in 2022.

LINK

(sorry if this has already been mentioned...)

This is great news and likely will be a new approach to the comp pick game for the Ravens a system that they have used to their advantage better than anyone.

Blog Entries

Would be very on brand for the Ravens to be the first to receive compensation for this given they've been at the front of most teams in the league when it comes to diversity over the course of their history.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    If you don't think the NFL by its conduct over the past decades hasn't made itself horrifically vulnerable to an EEOC lawsuit, I dunno what to tell you.
    I kinda doubt it. I think it's more of a public relations concern.

Blog Entries

Really this is happening all over the workplace these days. My ex-employer went out if its way to prioritize promotion both by race and sex. While it never affected me I'd imagine some people who were likely considered the most qualified and were passed over likely felt discriminated against.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    One could also argue that as a private entity, the NFL can essentially adopt whatever minority hiring incentive structure they wish.
    I suppose they can, but I (as a private citizen) can give my personal opinion in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Cant I? ... Bc

Yes Jimmy, it's called C.Y.A. ... Bc

Blog Entries

9ers already got two picks for Saleh. Kind of helps the sting of losing your DC

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I understand, but something continues to need to be done to encourage minority hiring because this league too often is full of retreads. You have a guy like Bienemy who has glowing recommendations from just about everyone, and he's going to miss out on a job again probably. And it can't be the "he doesn't call plays" stuff because Reid has had quite a few white candidates who don't call the offensive plays get HC jobs.
    It could be as simple as Bienemy doesn't interview well. I know in most jobs the interview is weighed very heavily against everything else. I'm sure we have all seen a less qualified person get a job or promotion because they interview well and knocked that part out of the park but then they go on to fail in the position and we've seen someone with an outstanding resume and the history who doesn't interview well and struggles to get the position but is someone who if they could interview better would be a slam dunk and do well in the position. Maybe Bienemy doesn't interview well. You have to be able to sell yourself and your vision and some people are better at that than others. Just a thought.

While I'd jump for joy if that happened, I do find something un-American about the process.
    Depends whether you think America means "fairness"or "built on racial inequality" (as the UK was too).

I'm all for systems that encourage the hiring of minorities at the expense of what some would call fairness, but, even if you disagree with that, there's not much in this rule to quibble about.

All it does is give some minority coaches a chance. Before anyone gets any extra draft picks the minority coach has to perform so well, so far above their peers, that they get hired as a head coach. (Or do whatever it is Culley has done to impress Houston.)

If they do perform at that level, they were a good hire in the first place. They deserved the chance they were given. The rule only rewards teams who give coaches the chance they deserved to get anyway. No one's getting any extra picks for promoting a coach who didn't deserve it because the compensation only comes when they've proved themselves.

Surely even the most traditional thinker can't object to a rule like that.