Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Run Game Changes from Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    How will the run game help then come back from a double digit deficit ��
    Score one TD.
    Then, the defense makes a stop.
    Then, score another TD.

Unless there's like 5 minutes left in the 4th, that shouldn't be a problem.

Additionally, the Ravens do have a Wide Receiver already, in fact, they have more than one.

The Ravens got to the playoffs and won a playoff game - so the regular season didn't present problems that need to be fixed. Teams that didn't make the playoffs would have to look at all their regular season losses and determine where they need to make improvements so that they can get enough wins to make the playoffs.

The Ravens need to look at the playoff loss, and determine how to make that into a playoff win.

Start with 1) instead of throw INT and have it returned 101 yards for a TD, do NOT that.

Because that's all it was, really. Throw TD, score is tied 10-10. Instead of down 17-3.

The Ravens don't get down by 2 scores in the playoffs unless there are problems in the PASS game that give the other team great field positions or straight up points. I've been arguing that if the Ravens didn't make mistakes in the pass game, they'd be winning, and the solution to mistakes in the pass game is to remove passing. No passing, no mistakes in the pass game.

But if you look a little bit closer, generally, you'll find that problems with the offensive line caused the pass game and the run game to perform a little bit worse than expected. I'm not sure that you can point to problems in the oline leading to that 1 Int + return. Maybe you can, but you can definitely say that hurling the ball over Lamar's head, 2 plays after the Int + return, and Lamar gets concussed and out of the game was definitely a oline problem, and that was a bad play that hurt the Ravens. You can point to sacks, oline problem, causing failed drives, punts.

It's just pretty easy to see that when the oline has a lot of below average PFF, and you can see that oline was causing problems, large and small, and fixing that might make the difference between win and loss in the playoffs.

Is there a good Free Agent Center with NFL resume that includes good blocking and not throwing the ball over the QBs head all that often?

Blog Entries

Re: Run Game Changes from Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    All aboard! I’m in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could anchor a solid line

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

They can address the iOL early in the draft, this just sounds like such a cop out to not take the passing attack seriously (yet again)

Literally all they have to do is draft a plug-and-play Guard in the 1st, move Bozeman back to Center and the OL is in good shape with Stanley coming back

Another year of doubling down on the run will be another year of praying for Lamar's health all year and a swift playoff exit, good playoff teams don't find it hard to put 8 players in the box and take away our run game, wake the fuck up. We're asleep at the wheel on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don’t put too much stock in these press conferences, but we’re never going to win a sb doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Holy shit! The first two plays! Both of them zone runs, and he just teleports to the seal position, with perfect footwork. My man.

Getting him in the second is pure fantasy. This motherfucker is NOT repeat not falling out of the first round. Check out where these Centers went in recent drafts:

Player Year Round Pick
    Cesar Ruiz 2020 1 24
    Garrett Bradbury 2019 1 18
    Frank Ragnow 2018 1 20
    Billy Price 2018 1 21
    Ryan Kelly 2016 1 18
    Cameron Erving 2015 1 19

I want him. He would tie this whole OL together. Like those Cowboys lines with a young Travis Frederick (another 1st-rd Center). DeMarco Murray going for 1800 yards; Zeke Elliott getting 1600. A guy who makes the players around him better.
    Great post!

I’d be very happy with Humphrey in the first if available. He’d be a starter soon out of the gate and will never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    How will the run game help then come back from a double digit deficit 😂
    Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    They can address the iOL early in the draft, this just sounds like such a cop out to not take the passing attack seriously
    Another year of doubling down on the run will be another year of praying for Lamar's health all year and a swift playoff exit
    I dunno if you guys are aware, but offensive linemen also play on passing downs. They're responsible for a thing called "pass pro", which involves keeping the pocket clean for the QB, away from the pass rush.

If Lamar has had time to throw against the Bills, they would have advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Spent a good deal of time this weekend watchign Creed Humphrey. Love his fit in this offense. Though I have to say, there's a bit of a falce narrative around him. I keep seeing him get referred to as a mauler and I don't see it. He's super technical on his blocks, he does have a stout anchor, but I find he's calculated in his game. For example, in run blocking he's very patient with his hand strikes. They land well conistently and he does have power to drive, but I don't see him mauling guys. I see caclulation and a stout anchor.

Same in the pass game. Rarely getting knocked back, but mostly through technique + anchor.

Other thing I like abotu him a lot is he possesses power in all 3 areas of his body, specifically his core. His posture is consitent and that should only help him as he adds strength. Some guys (ben Bredeson is one of these) lack core strength and it really hurts their technique in the big leagues. Catching that core strength up to the rest of your body is tough as well.

You go Stanley - Bozeman - Humphrey - Powers - Brown and I think that OL can be great in pass pro.

Powers was a top 5 interior pass blocker in his class. Bozeman was good as well. Humphrey is in this class. We know Stanley and Brown are great.
    Nice breakdown, thanks Cole.

Do you have any hope for our in-house guys? How would you rank TCC, Bredeson, Mekari, and Skura, strictly as starting C prospects?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

This is one of those times when, if you take what was said in a vacuum, it’s hard to argue. The offensive line does need improvement. My concern (I won’t speak for anyone else here), is that what this really is, is the Ravens using the offensive line issues as an excuse to minimize the need for much higher quality WRs.

We had a pretty good offensive line in 2019. Tennessee often muddle rushed Lamar and made him pat the ball.

Improving the offensive line should always be top priority. However, I get a bad feeling that this is just another excuse as to why the need for higher quality WRs isn’t a very close second, if not a 1a, to improving the line. You can hear it in how both Harbaugh and DeCosta speak about the passing offense.

9. Re: Run Game Changes from Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The Ravens do need to improve their OL. They needed to do that after the 2019 season as well, but didn’t do it. However, there aren’t enough playmakers on the offense, and the passing game is lacking. They have a much tougher schedule next year. Right now, I agree with posters who think they will go 9-7 next year. At most they will add two OL, so they should be able to fix the OL and address other needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Ravens lost a key player, Yanda, after the 2019 season. What they did was insufficient to keep the oline as good as it was.

The Ravens lost a lot of defense after 2018. And the beginning of 2019 revealed defense problems. After the Browns loss, the Ravens sprang into action, fixing the problems pretty quickly, ended up 14-2.

The Ravens need up to 3 starting OL next year.

I don't see any reason why the Ravens are going to go 9-7. The Ravens should be able to get enough wins to get into the playoffs easy enough.

The Ravens really don't have a more difficult season, compared to other teams in the AFC North.

After the 2019 season, for the 2020 season, the Ravens were the #1 team in the AFCN. That meant they played the #1 teams in the other division. For 2021, the Steelers will be playing the #1 teams and the Ravens will be playing the #2 teams. In 2020, the Ravens played the Chiefs and the Steelers played the Broncos.

Yes, it's true that the AFC North will not be playing the NFC East, and that means the NFC games won't be as easy. The Ravens play the Packers. Let's call that one a toss up or even a loss. The other games, Vikings, Bears, Lions, I'll call wins. 3-1 v NFC North. The Ravens play the Chiefs, that's a toss-up / loss. The rest, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos - I'll call wins. 3-1 v AFC West. 6-2 v NFCN + AFCW. Then 8 more games. 2 vs the #2 teams. I think that's 2-0, but I'll give 1-1. The Ravens are at 7-3 at this point. 6 division games. I'm going to say 4-2 here. Could be better than that. but 4-2 gets to 11-5, which isn't 9-7. The Ravens had the biggest margin of victory in the NFL this year. Not understanding how the Ravens get worse. They improve the oline. Yes, Packers are tougher than the toughest team in the NFC East. 1 extra loss. The Browns and Steelers also play the Packers. The Ravens lost to Titans last year. That's the equivalent of the Chiefs game this year. The Ravens went 7-1 against the 2 divisions, only loss to Titans. This year, maybe, loss to Packers and Chiefs. But the Steelers and Browns also have to play the Packers and Chiefs. I don't see any reason why they are going to do better than the Ravens.

Steelers play the Bills in the regular season, the Ravens play the Dolphins, the Browns play Patriots.
    Most likely to lose that one? Steelers to Bills.

Steelers play the Titans, Ravens v Colts, Browns v Texans.
    I'd say it's more likely the Steelers lose than the Ravens do.

I'd say the Steelers lose at least one more of those 2 than the Ravens do. Ravens are up +1.

It might be too soon to tell which of the Steelers, Ravens, Browns are best, but I don't think the Steelers are up arrow. Because of that, I don't see the Ravens going 0-2 against the Steelers, one of those 2 losses was without Lamar.

I see, most likely, the Ravens winning the division. I see the Steelers getting a little worse. Steelers v Bills. And the Ravens improve over 0-2 v the Steelers. It seems, too, to me, that the Browns are the most likely to lose to a team like the Raiders/Chargers/Broncos/Bears/Vikings/Lions.

There's also a chance that the Ravens do pull out all the stops to be the best running team in NFL history (again) and Lamar runs for 1500 yards, the oline is improved, there are more giants, and maybe they're playing TE, or pushing the great OTs to Guard, or maybe the new giants are playing guard, or maybe there is a veteran free agent Center, whatever it is, lets assume that the oline is improved improved. The Ravens definitely could be 14-2 again. I see that 14-2 is more likely than 9-7.

If the Ravens don't change the offense much, none of that "we need to train Lamar at QB because in 2030, he's going to suck at running so much that he'll have to pass, and it's important to pay Lamar $40 M+ for years past the time when he's a great running QB getting the Ravens wins with his legs", the oline is improved, overall run blocking is improved at TE, WR, FB, RB, by adding great blocker(s) at, probably TE, then yeah, I'll see 14-2 as a better possibility than 9-7.

It's possible there might be issues with the defense, specifically edge, if the Ravens lose a lot of edge players and replacements are worse, but we don't know who will stay and who will go with the edge players. Other than that, it's the IOL which needs to be fixed, plus I'd add giant TE/OL. Not saying giant TE/OL is absolutely necessary, they went 14-2 without giant TE/OL, but I see those players there, available, and they're not always there. Some players who are, potentially, versatile potent threats doing a number of different things. You can't tell me that a 6'9 400 pound NT won't push the Center backwards 1 on 1. Daniel Faalele, Spencer Brown (Senior Bowl), Drew Himmelman - all possibly that versatile superman freak beast, would want to investigate this (look close at pro days, if they can figure that out pro days this year, look at sparq, things like that, any of the giant OL have pro day numbers at all in line with smaller, blocking TE size TEs. I would say that a FCS 1st team All American would not totally suck (Drew Himmelman). The Ravens are a team that does have quality pros, coaches, front office, etc, who can evaluate players. Greg Roman I'm thinking does have the ability to imagine what having 6'9 TEs who are 320 or 400 pounds could do in the run game, especially when these giant TEs were actually good TEs in high school and were moved to OL simply because 6'9 320 OL is just much more valuable than 6'9 290(?) TE, not because they couldn't do the job at TE in college. If I was Greg Roman, I would want massive, dominant run blockers who can also run routes and catch ok, without being speedsters. Lamar is a speedster, ultimate speedster at the QB position. The Ravens have other speedsters. Hollywood is a speedster, Duvernay's kickoff return TD and 42 yard end around indicate speedster. Dobbins, Edwards, Hill, all enough speedster. For a TE, Edwards is a speedster. Very nice 40 for height and weight. The Ravens may or may not (maybe Hollywood) have a Tyreek Hill level top of the line best speedster. But, really, only the Chiefs do, so, it's a tough luck situation. It's not hard to find Tyreek Hill. He was a 5th rounder and he was right there at the top of the WR sparq. You aren't finding Tyreek Hill types at the bottom of the sparq chart. So, if you want a Tyreek Hill, when the 5,6,7th round rolls around you take the top sparq guy there who has a top 40 and a top 10 split. The top sparq guy might be a 4.45 40 guy with a 45 vert, but maybe you take the 4.28 guy with the 38 vert, who might have the lower sparq. Maybe that's a guy who isn't great at football. Maybe he didn't go to Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson or Ohio State. But if he's Tyreek Hill athleticism, you can get him cheap, because the Chiefs got Tyreek Hill cheap.

Completely OT, is there anyone that you think the Ravens should add to the 90, give reserve/futures contracts to? To me, its good to fill that 90 roster with quality.

So, for Ravens 90, I'll type the same names that I've typed before, but now is a good time, because there are empty spaces on the 90.

Khalil Tate. Was an awesome running QB in college, an unstoppable Lamar type. Then they switched the Head Coach, there was more of a pro-style system, and he wasn't as good. But his great year was so great that Sports Illustrated put him on the cover of the college preview edition. So, you know, the guy who looked a lot like Lamar, with rushing stats that were actually better than Lamar's over that short period, that's a guy who definitely could be a Lamar backup, doing the running that Lamar does. Most teams don't want that, don't have a need for that, but the Ravens really do. This year is not a great year for running QBs coming out of college. The ones I identified - King - Miami, Ridder - Cincinnati, Willis - Liberty - are all going back to college, apparently, so maybe next year for them.

And .............. forget all that for now, as the Eagles did sign him to a futures/reserve contract a week ago. Someone to look at for the future, in scenarios where the Eagles might cut him. Maybe he gets into a preseason game for the Eagles, doesn't make the practice squad, maybe he gets cut before the preseason ends?

Screw it, I was going to mention Tyree Jackson. I've talked about him a lot. Legit top sparq QB. Turns out that the Eagles signed him to a reserve/futures contract as a TE. Seems like it's the Eagles reading my stuff. They have running QBs - Jalen Hurts, Greg Ward Jr, and now Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson. They've got some innovation pieces there. But, they still have Wentz.

I think it will be a massive mistake if this team doesn’t find a good OLB at some point. Everyone we have is either not good enough to make a difference or is a retread.

This team desperately needs its “Suggs” on defense. We don’t have anywhere close to that on this team.

Every year everyone stomps the floor for offensive skill players. We are only a year or two from having a horrific defensive line if something isn’t done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    I think it will be a massive mistake if this team doesn’t find a good OLB at some point. Everyone we have is either not good enough to make a difference or is a retread.

This team desperately needs its “Suggs” on defense. We don’t have anywhere close to that on this team.
    The game has changed so much. Game-wrecking pass rushers aren't of much use when the QB gets rid of the ball in 2.3 seconds. I'm not saying it's worthless, but the position is overvalued at this point in the NFL.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The game has changed so much. Game-wrecking pass rushers aren't of much use when the QB gets rid of the ball in 2.3 seconds. I'm not saying it's worthless, but the position is overvalued at this point in the NFL.
    Tampa almost single handily won their game yesterday because of their pass rush. It’s insane to say that a good pass rush doesn’t benefit a team greatly.

Every year, we have to scheme up pressure and blitz at almost, if not the most, the most in the entire league because we don’t have anyone reliable to get constant pressure.

Pressure on a QB hides so much on the backend of a defense. We desperately need better pass rushers on this team.