Re: Run Game Changes from Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He did in San Fran
    Did he?

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Did he?
    Yep.

#5 DVOA passing offense in 2012, the year they came within a foot of winning the SB.
    #4 DVOA passing offense in 2013, the year they reached their 3rd consec NFCC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Yep.

#5 DVOA passing offense in 2012, the year they came within a foot of winning the SB.
    #4 DVOA passing offense in 2013, the year they reached their 3rd consec NFCC.
    The discussion was, ‘When the run wasn’t leading the way and being its dominant self’, essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Missingweblink View Post
    How is everyone doing? I listened to this morning’s press conference and it really does sound like EDC is committed to improving the offensive line over going after a #1 WR, which is what I’ve been really hoping for (Allen Robinson). Now that I believe EDC about the offensive line, what do you all think we will do to improve it? Do we take some of the money that we have under the cap and go after one of the big free agent guards that are available now (instead of a WR). Do we draft a Center or Guard early in the draft? Do we do both? In my opinion, I think that I would like to see them go after a Free Agent Guard (Thuney or Screff may be too much but I’m really looking to improve if that’s what we keep saying) and then draft either Humphrey or Dickerson in the second round, if available. I appreciate any feedback or thoughts.
    In answer to the original question: Ideally I think they should go for a veteran center and guard who are both proven pass protectors.

For the next couple of years, Lamar needs more time in the pocket than most any other starting QB right now. He needs 1-2 seconds more time to go through progressions or to read the coverage. Someday he won’t.

Those two pass pro linemen are priority #1, but the biggest difference maker, and next priority is the passing coordinator. I think the Ravens should start there before doing ANYTHING else personnel-wise on offense. This should precede choosing WR and TE. I say that because we need WR & TE to fit the system. We could get an O’Dell but he might not turn it to be a good fit.

DeCosta called this a "tight-end centric" offense. Granted, his words were prompted by a question about a contract extension for Mark Andrews. He also said that the team values versatility.

Taking DeCosta at his word, I'll guess that the Ravens add one of the following
    Gerald Everett,
    David Njoku,
    O.J. Howard, or
    Evan Engram.

Everett is a free agent.
    Njoku wanted out in August. FA in 2022
    Howard and the Bucs have a rocky relationship. FA in 2022
    Engram had a down year. FA in 2022.
    The latter three are due $6M

They each can be had.

Kenny Golladay offers the skill set the Ravens need: deep threat, outside the numbers; wide catch radius; can big-boy DBs. But he's too expensive. So....

So the Ravens will get something Golladay-like in terms of a size and speed. Each of those tight ends ran impressive 40s and/or tested well in the explosion metrics: VJ/BJ.

Plus, the players -- while themselves not versatile -- offer the offense versatility. Pat Ricard can deceive -- his presence doesn't always mean a run -- but he can't threaten; he can't scare a DB over the top. Each of those tight ends can beat an LB outright. Furthermore, the RPO creates hesitation that makes them even more capable of beating DBs. The Ravens can grind or fly in Andrews/Everett package.

DeCosta and Harbaugh both used the word "efficiency," didn't they?
    Plan: Do the same. Only better.

Acquire one of these TEs.
    Sign a middling veteran WR.
    Sign a middling veteran IOL.
    Draft best value in RD1
    Target high-upside WR/OL in RD 2.

Phase 1: Collect underpants.
    Phase 3: Superbowl.