Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: We could only score 3

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    They got 50 yards on a jet sweep with 1 of their WRs who runs a 4.3 and they got 71 with a bump pass behind the LOS to their other WR who runs a sub 4.3.

If you watched that game last night and your takeaway was coaching...
    Truth. The "I hate Harbaugh crowd" loves to blame everything on Roman and Harbaugh with no accountability at all to player performance and execution. Andy Reid was the epitome of mediocre playoff performance before Patrick Mahomes. Yes he's an innovative, talented offensive mind but he never won a championship in his entire coaching career until the unbelievable talent that is Patrick Mahomes showed up. Take Mahomes out of the equation and see how many people are swinging on Reid's nutz. There is a segment of the Raven fanbase that knows no other reason for losing football games than blaming the coach. Harbaugh and Roman have nowhere near the talent across the board on offense that KC has but let's keep beating the coaching dead horse. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Yes, the reason Mahomes is better than Lamar is not because he is a once in a generation passer but because of Andy Reid. Uh huh. The same guy who coached Alex Smith and McNabb, both number one or two overall picks who did not reach anywhere near the heights of Mahomes.

Kinda like how people thought Brady was only Brady because of Belichick? How’s that lookin. When exactly do players get credit for just being really good?
    This isn't making the point you think it is. Alex Smith's QBR for example is 10 points higher with Andy Reid than away from him, even factoring in his good years in SF.

It's not really possible to speculate what kind of player Mahomes would be if he weren't coached by Andy Reid. I think it's safe to say he'd be very good anywhere. But the difference between "very good" and "excellent" in the NFL is very significant.

Coaching goes beyond just scheme, even though scheme is incredibly important. Mahomes didn't know how to read defenses coming out of college. He didn't know how to take snaps from under center, had essentially zero NFL caliber footwork, was not particularly accurate in a scheme that could get basically any QB to 65%, and didn't throw all that good of a deep ball. The NFL draft advisory board gave Mahomes a 2nd round grade in the draft.

Again, impossible to say, but do we think Mahomes develops all those skills to All-Pro levels while being coached by Greg Roman, for example? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by bmorecareful; 01-25-2021 at 12:45 PM.

You give Watson the same weapons. He would be in back to back Super Bowls. I question Josh Allen decision making and Lamar is not there yet as far as passing. I think he will get there but if passing is considered secondary to your team might be awhile

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This isn't making the point you think it is. Alex Smith's QBR for example is 10 points higher with Andy Reid than away from him, even factoring in his good years in SF.

It's not really possible to speculate what kind of player Mahomes would be if he weren't coached by Andy Reid. I think it's safe to say he'd be very good anywhere. But the difference between "very good" and "excellent" in the NFL is very significant.

Coaching goes beyond just scheme, even though scheme is incredibly important. Mahomes didn't know how to read defenses coming out of college. He didn't know how to take snaps from under center, had essentially zero NFL caliber footwork, was not particularly accurate in a scheme that could get basically any QB to 65%, and didn't throw all that good of a deep ball. The NFL draft advisory board gave Mahomes a 2nd round grade in the draft.

Again, impossible to say, but do we think Mahomes develops all those skills to All-Pro levels while being coached by Greg Roman, for example? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong, it's speculative, I admit.
    I don't think Roman would've been able to develop Mahomes the way Reid has.

For me it's not one or the other, player or coach. It takes both to achieve greatest, more importantly it takes a good match. A lot of players that have great potential are paired with a terrible head coach/organization and are never able to bounce back/recover from the lack of early development. See Sam Darnold with the Jets.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

As great as the Chiefs are they can be beaten. The Browns were one freaky fumble away from doing it. I know Mahomes got injured but its damn sad that Cleveland gave KC a tougher game than the Ravens or the Bills.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I don't think Roman would've been able to develop Mahomes the way Reid has.

For me it's not one or the other, player or coach. It takes both to achieve greatest, more importantly it takes a good match. A lot of players that have great potential are paired with a terrible head coach/organization and are never able to bounce back/recover from the lack of early development. See Sam Darnold with the Jets.
    Agreed. It takes both. If you only have one--talented players or talented coaching--eventually you'll hit a wall somewhere, and the weakness will be exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    As great as the Chiefs are they can be beaten. The Browns were one freaky fumble away from doing it. I know Mahomes got injured but its damn sad that Cleveland gave KC a tougher game than the Ravens or the Bills.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    The Browns are a much more balanced team than either the Bills (they pass like 65%+ of the time) or the Ravens (run like 65% of the time). They gave Kansas City a lot more to defend. You know else who is a very balanced offense? The Raiders - the team who beat them and probably should've beat them a second time. The Ravens need to be much more balanced if they want to beat KC.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Again, impossible to say, but do we think Mahomes develops all those skills to All-Pro levels while being coached by Greg Roman, for example? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
    In today's NFL it is incumbent on the QB to learn those things on his own in the off season. The league rules prohibit contact by the team and coaches in the off season. There are limits on the amount of practice time. What the Mahomes draft pick showed is that Any Reid and/or Dorsey knew how to size up a QBs attitude and aptitude. The reason why Mahomes was considered deficient is not because he could not do those things but rather he did not have the opportunity to demonstrate them in the TT offense. Clearly the Chiefs saw something in him because they moved up to 10 to take him. It wasn't like they took a chance on him at the end of the first or in the 2nd where most people had him projected. Mahomes apparently was wowing people right out of the gate in training camp. The other thing Mahomes has is a clutch gene like MJ. When his team is down or the game is on the line he performs his best. I don't think that is something that can be learned. He is a special player.

I wasn't a fan of drafting Lamar, because I never thought our coaching staff would be able to develop him. I was impressed when. We switched to him and lot it up, but there had to be progression. Without improving the passing scheme and upgrading the worst wr corps in the league, this is what we will be. The James Harden/Russell Westbrook of the NFL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    I agree ...Mahomes , Allen, Watson, Wilson are QBs that can run the ball. Lamar is a running QB and a mediocre passer
    Dude not sure what you're smoking so now the MVP is a mediocre passer 🤣🤣🤣wtf do you guys come up with this shit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    The Chiefs are just good enough on those sweeps and screens to keep defenses honest. You don't have to be top 5 in passing and rushing. But you have to find a way that both presents a threat to a defense.
    Well put

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Next year with a. Better online they will score 6 lol