Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Hensley reporting Judon wants $20 mil a year

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post

Those sack numbers don't reflect too badly on Judon as a player, considering how good Suggs was and that Judon is playing in an era where QBs release the ball quicker than ever. I'd have expected the gap to be wider.
    Very good point.

Consider me in the camp that doesn't understand the hate for Judon on this board. He's high effort and incredibly durable. His run defense this year also took a noticeable step forward. He has his warts for sure, and has probably reached his ceiling, but I think has productive years ahead

We all agree that he's not a 20m/yr player, but I think at 3 years for around 12-14/year, I'd be tickled to see him back.

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Just pay Judon.
    Just pay that OLB that isn't a good pass rusher and is almost 30... after a playoff loss where the defense did their job and the offense scored 3 points

Definitely adds up, that will be a good use of our cap space and get us over the top

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Very good point.

Consider me in the camp that doesn't understand the hate for Judon on this board. He's high effort and incredibly durable. His run defense this year also took a noticeable step forward. He has his warts for sure, and has probably reached his ceiling, but I think has productive years ahead

We all agree that he's not a 20m/yr player, but I think at 3 years for around 12-14/year, I'd be tickled to see him back.
    I don't think anybody hates Judon, they hate his value for money given the current state of our roster & salary cap situation. I'm not spending 12M+ on any OLB that isn't a dominant pass rusher and we just don't have money to burn on supplemental pieces for the defense right now.

If the team only has room for one premium contract I don't know how the hell anybody justifies spending it anywhere besides WR or the OL, two teams in the SB have the most offensive weapons in their respective conference, no coincidence

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Just pay that OLB that isn't a good pass rusher and is almost 30... after a playoff loss where the defense did their job and the offense scored 3 points

Definitely adds up, that will be a good use of our cap space and get us over the top
    I would argue that Judon is a good but not great pass rusher.

And he's more than a pass rusher, he is good setting the edge and dropping into coverage as a sam LB. I would absolutely pay him 12m a year, that's a fair price for Judon IMO. I obviously wouldn't even think about 20 m a year though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Last time they gave our a big contract to a player pushing 30 was Earl Thomas and that worked out just great lol.
    I always thought longterm deals should be based on what you can expect players to do in the future?
    In my opinion we've seen Judons best days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    20 mil for a guy who is 41st in sacks, and will be 30 when the season starts? Huh?
    I don't want to over-pay for Judon either, but will people stop with this "pushing 30" and "will be 30 "?

Matthew Judon was born August 15, 1992. So he's 28 and will be 29 this coming August. He won't be 30 for one year, 6 months, and 3 weeks from today (1/26/2021)... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't want to over-pay for Judon either, but will people stop with this "pushing 30" and "will be 30 "?

Matthew Judon was born August 15, 1992. So he's 28 and will be 29 this coming August. He won't be 30 for one year, 6 months, and 3 weeks from today (1/26/2021)... Bc
    THANK YOU! It's like we can't use Google or something.

AND, the guy has only missed 4 games his entire career...2 of which were this year for COVID. He's incredibly durable.

We will never know what he ask unless things go badly. His value is a range from 10-16 million. In his place I would want 16, the team more like 10-12. But it comes down to a puzzle. They need X amount of pressure and stops and want to spend as little as possible to get them. It might be keep Judon, draft another LB and see four others walk. Or keep two smaller roll players for the same money and maybe a bit more total production for the same money.

This year is a going to be a buyers market. Only 5-6 teams have tons of cap space with no guarantee they will spend it all, while 20 have little to none. Four teams will struggle to get under the cap and will be forced to cut multiple players. In the average year there might be 500 million in free cap space where this year there might be 250 million. So this is a bad year to be a free agent hoping for a mega contract.

If I were the Ravens I would give Judon a midrange contract offer of 10-12 for a single season. Tell him to see what the market is and give him ten days to accept the offer before it expires. Fair to both sides. He has a fall back option for another well paid year and the Ravens get to either keep him or move on early enough they can still have many options. Do the same with with others if you can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    THANK YOU! It's like we can't use Google or something.

AND, the guy has only missed 4 games his entire career...2 of which were this year for COVID. He's incredibly durable.
    LOL LC, I used ESPN. You make a very good point. People sometimes try to slant/exaggerate things to support their own opinion... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

The age thing has to do more with the fact that you are paying big money for a guy that is done improving and likely already peaked (and his peak isn't all that impressive), he has nowhere to go but down athletically and he's really just a good but not great player currently

If Judon was playing at high level and cemented himself as a very good OLB then I would be a lot more forgiving about his age, as he can likely maintain that level for 2-3 more years

With Bowser you have a guy who is extremely versatile and he hasn't peaked yet, you're paying less for a guy who's best football is still in front of him and might actually outperform his contract. Re-Sign Bowser and look to the draft, with limited cap space we don't have money to burn on Judon who I would prefer to keep but it just doesn't make sense when the offense desperately needs a talent injection and the defense is still ripe with talent.

So Bowser the second rounder has not peaked? And Judon the fifth rounder has peaked?

Next year Bowser would need something like 24 sacks and 140 tackles to do the same that Judon did in his first five years.

I am not comfortable with this front seven. A combo with a part over the hill and not finished products... and Judon and Ngakoue who should just be a worse cap problem.

Bowser needs 24 sacks and +140 tackles next year.. to do what Judon did in his first five years. Bowser as a second rounder he seems to fit the typical Ravens second round draft passrusher, just not very good.

When you compare Judon to others see JJ, AD, Zadarius Smith and Suggs. not DEs from other teams.

I would hate to overspend.. then again I probably will hate even more to see Judon go.

So Bowser the second rounder has not peaked? And Judon the fifth rounder has peaked?

Next year Bowser would need something like 24 sacks and 140 tackles to do the same that Judon did in his first five years.

I am not comfortable with this front seven. A combo with a part over the hill and not finished products... and Judon and Ngakoue who should just be a worse cap problem.

Bowser needs 24 sacks and +140 tackles next year.. to do what Judon did in his first five years. Bowser as a second rounder he seems to fit the typical Ravens second round draft passrusher, just not very good.

When you compare Judon to others see JJ, AD, Zadarius Smith and Suggs. not DEs from other teams.

I would hate to overspend.. then again I probably will hate even more to see Judon go.
    Well he is 3 years older...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precisely, Bowser will be 26 when the season starts and Judon will be 29. Bowser has been in a rotational role and still nearly led the team in INT's this year and Judon has started for a while and actually regressed from 2019.

Bowser has room to grow, Judon is in his prime already. Bowser is the smart money pick at OLB, sacks were down league wide this season and edge rushers have regressed in importance as QB's are getting rid of the ball at the fastest rate in NFL history. Take the younger player for cheaper and look towards the draft & veteran FA market to fill the void.