Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 2021 Schedule: 2nd Toughest in NFL

Could care less about the regular season strength of schedule at this point.. we're going to be a consistent playoff team (barring major injuries) with the expanded 7th seed in place, just going to be a matter of actually winning once we get there, making a deep run at the very least in 2021

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Could care less about the regular season strength of schedule at this point.. we're going to be a consistent playoff team (barring major injuries) with the expanded 7th seed in place, just going to be a matter of actually winning once we get there, making a deep run at the very least in 2021
    I would agree, the Ravens window for making the post season is open (barring major injuries) for the next several years. The future for you fans is bright.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    I would agree, the Ravens window for making the post season is open (barring major injuries) for the next several years. The future for you fans is bright.
    hope so - will be interesting what Pitt does this season for sure. Maybe some big changes

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Our schedule was incredibly tough in 2019 and we went 14-2.

It was relatively easy in 2020 and we went 11-5.

I'm not really concerned with the regular season schedule "toughness". If we stay healthy, I expect to make the playoffs no matter the schedule. If we don't, probably not.

This is a good team and I fear no other team...and only one do I flat out think is flat out better and that's the Chiefs.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I don't worry too much about this stuff. There's always a team that surprises and a team that disappoints

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: 2021 Schedule: 2nd Toughest in NFL

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    I don't worry too much about this stuff. There's always a team that surprises and a team that disappoints
    Right you are, dear lady. Not many thought the 6 - 10 2019 Browns would go 11 - 5 in 2020, and come pretty close to beating the Chiefs (22 - 17 loss) in their playoff game. Conversely, the Texans (who were 11 - 5 in 2018 and 10 - 6 in 2019) would fall to 4 - 12 in 2021... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Ya, let's play devil's advocate:

The Steelers (12-4) have a rapidly aging QB and are in cap hell, highlighted already by the retirement of their Pro Bowl center and most consistent TE. If they play like they did the second half of 2020, they won't make the playoffs.

The Browns (11-5) look in pretty good shape but need Baker Mayfield to continue playing at a competent level to compete. Their defense has a lot of holes in it. They can easily finish with fewer wins next season.

The Bengals (4-11-1) haven't had a winning season in six years and Joe Burrow is coming off a major injury. They also continue to be cheap and have very little investment in scouting, development and facilities. Could be yet another top five draft pick.

The Chiefs (14-2) are in back to back Super Bowls and the law of averages says they'll regress next season.

The Raiders (8-8), Chargers (7-9) and Broncos (5-11) have been spinning wheels for some time. They can all stay in mediocrity.

The Colts (11-5) just lost their QB again and need to fill that position with somebody competent or it won't matter how talented the rest of the team is.

The Dolphins (10-6) are a feel good team but already have a QB controversy with their high draft pick and that usually doesn't end well. Plus their coach may have been anointed "great" too early.

The Packers (13-3) may have had their last peak under Aaron Rodgers. Heck, the Ravens might not even have to face Aaron Rodgers if he's that disgruntled.

The Bears (8-8), Vikings (7-9) and Lions (5-11) are more examples of franchises that are spinning their wheels. Again they could all be .500 or worse.

---------------
    Do I think all these things happen? No. But some of them will.

You guys are going 13-3.

Here’s my poetic justice scenario for next postseason (better make that a postseason sometime this decade):

AFCC:
    Browns over Texans

NFCC:
    Lions over Vikings

SB: Lions over Browns

Rationale: Detroit hasn’t won the NFL title since 1957 (longest drought). Cleveland not since 1964. Minnesota not since 1969. Houston’s last title was 1961 AFL championship (Oilers).

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    What is a "deep run"?

Getting through the Wild Card round to the Divisional, or making the conference championship? Or is it making the SB? I keep hearing about deep runs but nobody has ever defined it.

I do remember Bisciotti say in an end of season presser that his year-over-year goal was getting to the Final 8.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

The only real impact that I can predict pretty certainly right now is that the AFCN won't be sending three teams to the playoffs next year. They might not send two.

We don't get four extra bye weeks by playing against a historically bad NFC division. We have to take care of business in our division, and the rest will take care of itself. (Of course that's usually the case every season.)

Two things that work in our favor in the division fight:

1: The Second Place Finish: Of course the whole AFCN plays the same schedule except for two games. By finishing second, we drew the Dolphins, who I definitely prefer to either the Bills (who the Steelers play) or the rebuilt Pats (Browns.) And we drew the Colts, who currently have no quarterback, instead of the Titans (Steelers) or Texans (Browns.) A lot can happen between now and September, but right now, that looks to our advantage.

2: Home/Road: The only playoff team we have to go on the road to face is Chicago, and they don't scare anybody. KC, Indy, and GB all have to come to M&T. Of course, Ravens homefield advantage isn't what it used to be, but I'd still rather have them at home than on the road. Meanwhile Cleveland has road trips to KC and GB (and New England, which could be scary next year.) Pittsburgh travels to KC, GB, and Buffalo.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Is everyone confident that the Ravens will make the playoffs next season? I'm not.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but the way the Ravens had no answers to the similar way the Titans and the Bills both stopped the run worries me. Won't every team defend the Ravens the same way next year and won't that mean every game becomes the sort of slog we've seen whenever this version of the Ravens struggles to run the ball?

It's too early to say without seeing what they do in the offseason but, at the moment, I can see them going 8 - 8.