Do we even need a house and senate anymore?

Biden in office for 48 hours and he has signed over 30 executive orders. He is talking about an executive order for stimulus. Why do we need over 500 members of the house and senate to collect money for a lifetime?

We have had over 14000 executive orders. Biden is on pace to double that number

Executive orders the first week taking office

Clinton 0
    Bush 0
    Obama 5
    Trump 5

Biden 30 (first 2 1/2 days)
    Last edited by Vlad the lad; 01-22-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Re: Do we even need a house and senate anymore?

The expansion of the executive branch's powers via executive orders is ridiculous. Executive orders completely circumvents Congress and the concept of checks and balances. At this point Congress is almost irrevelant, when the President can just sign a piece of paper without making it law and/or the public aware of what he's doing.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    The expansion of the executive branch's powers via executive orders is ridiculous. Executive orders completely circumvents Congress and the concept of checks and balances. At this point Congress is almost irrevelant, when the President can just sign a piece of paper without making it law and/or the public aware of what he's doing.
    The States are literally the last line of defense. Hopefully what they bring to court gets heard and not thrown out for "standing".

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Like, I get the argument that congress refuses to govern so someone has to, but it's gotten really out of hand in the past 15 - 20 years

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Like, I get the argument that congress refuses to govern so someone has to, but it's gotten really out of hand in the past 15 - 20 years

It has gotten out of hand. But, what do you expect when 60 votes are needed to pass any legislation due to the constant use of the filibuster and votes are all strictly along party lines. There was a day when there were moderates on the left and right in both houses who would allow for the passage of legislation. That doesnt seem to be the case anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    It has gotten out of hand. But, what do you expect when 60 votes are needed to pass any legislation due to the constant use of the filibuster and votes are all strictly along party lines. There was a day when there were moderates on the left and right in both houses who would allow for the passage of legislation. That doesnt seem to be the case anymore.
    Their inability to agree is not excuse for or reason to accept Executive orders

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    That was before the 24/hr news spent 23hrs bashing republicans. I don’t see the parties ever getting along until we have a neutral news source

8. Re: Do we even need a house and senate anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    That was before the 24/hr news spent 23hrs bashing republicans. I don’t see the parties ever getting along until we have a neutral news source
    Never, in the history of ever, have truer words ever been typed. Ok....maybe top ten.

9. Re: Do we even need a house and senate anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post

Yes. Yes it has. Until we clean House and Senate of all the turds (very large majority), nothing will ever, ever change. Someday, somebody will step forward that can offer some governance from close to middle that enough of us can get behind him/her/them and tell the two major parties........adios pelotudas! Someday.......maybe. All most of them really want to do is get re-elected. Too much danger in taking a stand and take a chance on losing your seat. I mean, Congress' job is basically to make and pass laws and it's the Pres' job to say yea or nay. It's really that simple. Why do we keep voting these people in?

10. Re: Do we even need a house and senate anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post

A neutral news source would be a huge asset. There hasnt been one since the Fairness Doctrine was ended. The other thing that has really created this situation IMO is Gerrymandering. It has gotten so sophisticated at this point. I think the people should have the opportunity to select their representatives not the other way around. The only way to get elected in a liberal district is to challenge the incumbent by being further to the left, same goes for conservative districts. It breeds division and elevates an already antagonistic atmosphere.