Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob Ryan

Re: Rob Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's an interesting move. Guess John doesn't have an issue too much with the Ryan's, huh?
    Interesting move indeed. I really like that coaching family and I doubt there's any hostility. As an analyst, Rex is always praising the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Love to see Weddle here as DB coach. Harbaugh would too.
    If Weddle wants to get into coaching it'd be a smart move. With the Ravens DBs, it won't be hard to do a good job, get noticed and move up the ladder quickly.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Deion is coaching at Jackson State and has an all star class of coaches with him. By the way, his truck was broken into and boom box stolen, he got it back.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/19/deion...ssippi-reward/
    How do you do it? Seriously you find the best articles. Do you have your Twitter fine tuned into a machine for bringing you great nfl stories?

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    UGH. Not on board with this AT ALL.
    Why?

I would love for Rex to somehow be on this coaching staff as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Interesting move indeed. I really like that coaching family and I doubt there's any hostility. As an analyst, Rex is always praising the Ravens.
    Where was any hostility pointed at Rex? Harbaugh liked him, keeping him as DC displayed strength. Only thing might have been taking Bart Scott with him, but I can't remember any agitation between the two. If Rex wanted strongly to be DC here again when the job opens back up I bet he would be a top candidate if not THE choice. I think Rex is really happy with his cushy analyst job.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Why?

I would love for Rex to somehow be on this coaching staff as well.
    Everywhere he has been his D has been a trainwreck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Wink was supposedly on his staff at one point.
    Yep! In 2004 Wink coached ILBs for the Raiders and Rob Ryan was the DC. So they've switched roles.

Wink goes back further with the Ryan boys. In 1996-7-8 Wink coached DEs and then LBs at U Cincinnati and Rex (not Rob) was the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I always think of Rob Ryan as an awful DC who kept getting chances and screwing NFL Defenses up.

I know far less than anyone here about the abilities of Defensive coaches so can someone tell me why they think this guy would be any better as a position coach since he was so bad as a DC.
    That's always been my take on Rob too: that he was the fuck-up of the family. But like you I know basically zero about his hands-on nuts-&-bolts coaching. Wink has known him for decades, and worked with him for a few years. If Wink is pleased with the hire, than I am too.

Also, and this is interesting: if you look up Rob Ryan's coaching background, he did four years as Bill Belichick's LBs coach in New England, 2000-3. That span includes their first 2 SBs, which were won with great defense; and Ryan's position group included guys like Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel. You can't coach under Belichick (esp defense!) and not know your shit. So that's encouraging.

And theoretically, anybody should do better as a position coach than as a coordinator. The whole reason he got a chance to be a coordinator was because he was pretty good as a position coach. (Well: and the family name.)

It should be fine, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    If Weddle wants to get into coaching it'd be a smart move. With the Ravens DBs, it won't be hard to do a good job, get noticed and move up the ladder quickly.
    It's almost tailored to him. Harbaugh once said that as soon as he is done playing I'm going to be the first on the phone to him to come coach here.

Harbaugh knows who will be good for coaching, not necessarily who the best OCs are, but he can identify the mindset. Weddle has it.

Weddle also had Buffalo's DC as our DBs coach. He was instrumental in reinvigorating the DBs here. Wish he was still here. Criminal I'm blanking on his name. He wasn't terrible in MN as HC but he never had a real QB, never really stood a chance with his rosters. Loved that guy. He really should get another shot at HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I think Pags is a DC in the NFL. Doubt he’d leave that to be a DB coach here. But he’d be top of my wish list if Wink left.
    Pagano just announced his retirement.

Weddle also had Buffalo's DC as our DBs coach. He was instrumental in reinvigorating the DBs here. Wish he was still here. Criminal I'm blanking on his name. He wasn't terrible in MN as HC but he never had a real QB, never really stood a chance with his rosters. Loved that guy. He really should get another shot at HC.
    Leslie Frazier.

He & Harbs were together on Andy Reid's staff in Philly, 1999-2002. (Along with about half the NFL's coaches.)

(Fun fact, Frazier was a starting corner for the 85 Bears!)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's an interesting move. Guess John doesn't have an issue too much with the Ryan's, huh?
    Well, I guess it's notable that Rex and John coached together at U of Cincy in '96 and when John was first named Ravens HC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Yep! In 2004 Wink coached ILBs for the Raiders and Rob Ryan was the DC. So they've switched roles.

Wink goes back further with the Ryan boys. In 1996-7-8 Wink coached DEs and then LBs at U Cincinnati and Rex (not Rob) was the DC.

That's always been my take on Rob too: that he was the fuck-up of the family. But like you I know basically zero about his hands-on nuts-&-bolts coaching. Wink has known him for decades, and worked with him for a few years. If Wink is pleased with the hire, than I am too.

Also, and this is interesting: if you look up Rob Ryan's coaching background, he did four years as Bill Belichick's LBs coach in New England, 2000-3. That span includes their first 2 SBs, which were won with great defense; and Ryan's position group included guys like Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel. You can't coach under Belichick (esp defense!) and not know your shit. So that's encouraging.

And theoretically, anybody should do better as a position coach than as a coordinator. The whole reason he got a chance to be a coordinator was because he was pretty good as a position coach. (Well: and the family name.)

It should be fine, right?
    I think you backed up everything I was thinking with examples. I'm totally cool with Rob as whatever assistant Wink wants him to do for him. Ravens will be stronger for it too, potentially exponentially stronger (Queen might need a little Ryan thinking in him to really bring his play to the next level).

Ravens defense lives and loves family - we brought in two family members with DC experiences - I really like these hires and I think the players will love them.

Ravens got stronger with these guys.