Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Spicy Harbaugh is best Harbaugh

John Harbaugh's Full Season-Ending Press Conference is available here:

Some highlights:

(All transcriptions started from https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...h-zoom-presser, but then I made some edits to bring it more in line with the way I heard the rhythm and the emphasis.)

10:20 He's asked about the Steve Smith & Kurt Warner comments.
    No, I disagree with Kurt and Steve on that. I love Steve, and I don't really know Kurt that well, but the passing tree – we run all the routes on the passing tree if they want to talk simplistically – the 'quote unquote' passing tree. We have every route in football, and we have every route concept in football. We throw it less than most teams do because we run it so well. I know that Kurt would probably love to see us be a drop back passing team that gets the ball out on time in a West Coast-type style, or a 'Greatest Show on Turf'-type style. But that's not the offense that we run. We're not going to change an offense because it doesn't fit his eye.
    So, we'll build a passing game around OUR players and our talent. And around OUR quarterback, and around our running backs and our offensive line, to suit OUR players. To play winning football and score points. I think we were the seventh or eighth highest scoring offense in the league last year, so. We can talk about the other 24 or 23 of those teams, and talk about what they're not doing to fit somebody's eye. But it goes back to –

And the reason I'm strong on this is because it goes back to the same criticisms that we've heard for the last three years about not being the type of an offense or the type of a quarterback, that some people want to see. They're just going to have to live with it, because Lamar Jackson has won a lot of football games here. And our offense has won us a lot of football games here.
    And we're not apologizing for that for one second. We are going to improve it, no question about it. We're going to go to work to be more precise, more efficient, better at what we do. That's what we have to do – be better at it. We'll leave the criticism to the critics, and when they're ready to coordinate their offense and put their product on the field, I'll be looking forward to competing against it.
    FASTBALL!

You should listen if you get the chance, rather than read it. The tone of voice in which Harbs said "the critics" deliberately invoked that famous Teddy Roosevelt quote about "the man in the arena". That last sentence was just dripping with pugnacious contempt. I love it.

21:50 He's asked about what Lamar needs to improve on.
    All the little things that he needs to perform on across the board we're detailing out, and we have been every single day. It's not like it's a secret in terms of the football stuff – just like every player. And Lamar is going to go to work on those things, continue to. He's a young player still and he's going to continue to grow. I think if you talk to Brady and Brees, they would tell you that their growth continues right up until the day they retire. I know Brady works in the offseason, and Brees and those guys. Lamar, I think, is just embarking on that, he's just starting on that and kind of figuring that out for himself. Like, what's his method going to be? And how is he going to go about growing into, ultimately, the quarterback that he's going to peak at going forward? I know that's kind of just general talk, but the truth is he needs to get better – just like all the players – but as a quarterback, it's the toughest position, and he'll tell you, he needs to get better at everything, and everything that goes with playing quarterback.

His skillset, his talent is really remarkable and unique. He's got a great arm. He's a naturally gifted thrower, in terms of – he's got "arm talent", you would call it. He can run, he can extend plays, he sees the field well. Some of the plays he makes are just – we're all "Wow." That's Lamar. "How did he do that?" He did that in the game against the Bills, too. I think those are the things that make him so exciting and dangerous.

And then you just build a foundation with that, in terms of the footwork on the drops, the consistency of throwing the ball and putting it in the spots you want to put it. To all the depths of the field, and all spots of the field. All the timing routes. All the drop-backs, the different three-, five-, seven-step drops, the play-action drop-backs, the movement drop-backs in the pistol, under center, in the gun. All the different routes that he throws on the proverbial "Kurt Warner route tree" that you mentioned. He's going to work on all of those with all the different guys in the spots, and his receivers getting together with him. That's what quarterbacks do, and Lamar is no different than anybody else. He's going to work hard at that stuff, and he's going to improve and get better, and it'll show up in how he plays next year. So, that's the most honest and direct answer I can give you on that great question.
    One reason that's nice is it directly addresses the stuff we've been talking about here.

26:40 Jerry Coleman asks Harbs how they're going to convince a big-time WR to sign.
    Well, you know the answer to that, Jerry. I'm not going to even worry about convincing anybody to do something. I'm not going to beg anybody to be here. I'm not a college coach and I don't have to recruit anybody.

You want to win? You want to win? You want to be a part of a great organization, and you want to be a part of a team? And you want to love coming to work every single day? And you're a football player and you love football? You want to play in the AFC North? Y'know? Come here. If you don't – you're all about stats and numbers and, YOUR, your stat line, and how many balls you catch necessarily, and that's all you care for? Then there's a lot of other teams you can go play for, and we'll be looking forward to lining up against you.
    Zing!

34:55 He's asked whether the offseason program is likely to be in-person or virtual again.

Yeah. Yeah, y'know it's funny, I'm just speaking freely here, because I really don't care, after 13 years I guess, but: I think it's really easy for offensive linemen who have been in the league for 10 years or 12 years to say we don't need OTAs, because they don't do anything anyway, really. Those guys don't, they don't need it. But the young guys? The young linemen? They need it.

And the passing game? It needs it a lot. I mean, you NEED your quarterback and your wide receivers and your tight ends running routes; all the things that we talked about. You know, it's fine to go get together at some high school field somewhere, and they'll do that. But to come in here, and to get the timing and to work on the – we're talking about, we're talking about the highest level of a sport. Y'know, in every other sport, they – they get together for like nine months, 10 months. Because those guys, you have to. And, we want to have a high level of play, then we need our guys – And they want to do it. Guys want to throw and catch and run the routes and everything. So, my answer to that is a resounding, yes. We definitely need the offseason program.
    Another answer that touches on some stuff we've been talking about.

I guess I enjoyed that presser so much because, rather than him coming in a little defeated off the playoff loss – full disclosure, I've been feeling a little defeated, and maybe more than a little – Harbs comes in feisty! You get the impression that he cannot fucking wait to get back on the practice field again. Bracing.

Encouraging to hear.

Re: Spicy Harbaugh is best Harbaugh

Still employed? I'm shocked because before jackson, he was a goner. Now the qb keeps chocking and still failed results.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed it, I also noticed how he said at one point "I've been here for 13 years now so I don't care what I say"... also like how he addressed the witch hunts over coaches not wearing face coverings "properly" on the sidelines

Blog Entries

mentioned the other day but absolutely love the part about the WR.

you want to win? You want to win? You want to be a part of a great organization, and you want to be a part of a team? And you want to love coming to work every single day? And you're a football player and you love football? You want to play in the AFC North? Y'know? Come here. If you don't – you're all about stats and numbers and, YOUR, your stat line, and how many balls you catch necessarily, and that's all you care for? Then there's a lot of other teams you can go play for, and we'll be looking forward to lining up against you.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I enjoyed it, I also noticed how he said at one point "I've been here for 13 years now so I don't care what I say"... also like how he addressed the witch hunts over coaches not wearing face coverings "properly" on the sidelines
    He looked bad there cause' this affects health and safety so yes he should probably see why people are concerned.

Came off a bit arrogant if you ask me. I think Harbs is so stubborn and hard headed to admit faults. Hard to accept this kinda cocky when he hasn’t done anything prior to Jackson since Ray and Reed left.

I will be raked over the coals for this but I think the mutiny was the best thing to happen in 2012 and With the leadership of Ray and guys like Reed and Suggs is what carried this team not Harbs and his mighty men coaching style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Came off a bit arrogant if you ask me. I think Harbs is so stubborn and hard headed to admit faults. Hard to accept this kinda cocky when he hasn’t done anything prior to Jackson since Ray and Reed left.

I will be raked over the coals for this but I think the mutiny was the best thing to happen in 2012 and With the leadership of Ray and guys like Reed and Suggs is what carried this team not Harbs and his mighty men coaching style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember when Harbs talked about building their own offensive system two years ago, and then they went and ran over defenses for the next following seasons? Yes, I can definitely see why Harbs is poppin' off.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    He looked bad there cause' this affects health and safety so yes he should probably see why people are concerned.
    The two things weren't connected in the presser. The "I dont care what I say" bit was in reference to veteran O-linemen not doing anything during OTAs. The thing about witch hunts (but is that the phrase he used?) was in reply to some question about reflecting on the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    The two things weren't connected in the presser. The "I dont care what I say" bit was in reference to veteran O-linemen not doing anything during OTAs. The thing about witch hunts (but is that the phrase he used?) was in reply to some question about reflecting on the year.
    He was addressing all the shit talking in the media about coaches having their face coverings below their nose. Not going to get into politics, but I do agree and think its crazy how having your mask below your nose and getting caught on TV then being accused of being all things under the sun is straight out of a science fiction novel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He was addressing all the shit talking in the media about coaches having their face coverings below their nose. Not going to get into politics, but I do agree and think its crazy how having your mask below your nose and getting caught on TV then being accused of being all things under the sun is straight out of a science fiction novel.
    He screamed in that refs face while maskless and I think it haunted them all year. Lots of phantom flags...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Harbs is outdated and expired!