Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone still doubt the Politics of Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    $15 minimum wage helps ONLY unions. The people looking for minimum wage jobs get HURT most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nearly every other western style democracy has a minimum wage as far as I am aware.
    The people who could get hurt the most are those already on $15-18/hr who don’t get an increase and find that costs will go up between $10-20/week (depending on what they buy).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    Nearly every other western style democracy has a minimum wage as far as I am aware.
    The people who could get hurt the most are those already on $15-18/hr who don’t get an increase and find that costs will go up between $10-20/week (depending on what they buy).
    We have a minimum wage as well, not sure what you are getting at.
    We need an adult and a minor minimum wage LONG before we worry about adding to that minimum wage. Even if the $15 was only for adults it would be far less damaging.
    Is that really worse than the multitude of people who get fired immediately? How about the teenagers that will never be able to get a first job until after they graduate college?

We have a minimum wage as well, not sure what you are getting at.
    We need an adult and a minor minimum wage LONG before we worry about adding to that minimum wage. Even if the $15 was only for adults it would be far less damaging.
    Is that really worse than the multitude of people who get fired immediately? How about the teenagers that will never be able to get a first job until after they graduate college?

I never found the cost of wages to be a detriment to hiring someone. Moving the minimum to $15 isn’t that expensive. Hospitality will be the most effected. Tips are what I lived off during in my early twenties.

$15 minimum wage helps ONLY unions. The people looking for minimum wage jobs get HURT most.

First ...maybe 10% of private sector jobs are Union. Second ..that said ..how does the $15 min wage help Unions? Enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    First ...maybe 10% of private sector jobs are Union. Second ..that said ..how does the $15 min wage help Unions? Enlighten me.

The wages are indexed on minimum wage. So minimum wage doubles? So does union wages.

The wages are indexed on minimum wage. So minimum wage doubles? So does union wages.

Bingo. Annual Union dues just increased by 50%

Sorta. Not really. Can’t speak for all Unions but Teamsters and the Construction Unions in and around B’More don’t base the pay on Min Wage. Our starting pay is 45% of our max pay. So 45% of $37.65 = $16.90. So that’s waay more than $11.

But if it fits your narrative that Unions are evil and all Unions are Democrats ...Carry on.

Sorta. Not really. Can’t speak for all Unions but Teamsters and the Construction Unions in and around B’More don’t base the pay on Min Wage. Our starting pay is 45% of our max pay. So 45% of $37.65 = $16.90. So that’s waay more than $11.

But if it fits your narrative that Unions are evil and all Unions are Democrats ...Carry on.

And you think union starting pay will stay the same, if min wage jumps 50%

So a kid can get a job a the pitch and Putt. Having a relaxed chill day. Making $15/hr

Or get a union job that involved Manual labor all day. gets $16/hr. But has to pay 1/hr to union dues.

Just another example of you typing, while the rest of us wonder if you know what you typed

Blog Entries

Why not make minimum wage $30, $40 or $50 an hour? 15 an hour is only $600 a week or 32k a year.

No one can live of that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    I never found the cost of wages to be a detriment to hiring someone. Moving the minimum to $15 isn’t that expensive. Hospitality will be the most effected. Tips are what I lived off during in my early twenties.
    Have you ever owned a business or know anyone who does?

Ask them what happens when the cost of wages double.

11. Re: Anyone still doubt the Politics of Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Have you ever owned a business or know anyone who does?

Ask them what happens when the cost of wages double.
    Also, you have to consider the roughly 7-8% of the employer contribution on the FICA and other insurances, etc. which will rise in tandem w/the wages. All of these costs will of course, need to be passed on to the end consumer, which of course means everyone. Just because someone might not patronize MickyD's for that $10 burger, doesn't mean they won't be paying for it. All those costs get spread over the whole economy. No worries, though, since the robots are coming. They were scheduled to completely tear down and replace a MickyD's near me a year ago, but halted the plans for now, so they can thoroughly modernize it w/the robotics in the schematics.

Are you CERTAIN that the $37.65 or $16.90 for that matter? number is not indexed to MD minimum wage, or a federal minimum wage?

The $16.90 number is 7/3rds of federal minimum wage. Many, including most of not all public sector unions wages are indexed in that manner to minimum wage. If YOUR union doesn’t operate that way it would be the exception, not the rule.