Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ELI5.....I Feel Stupid

There's been so much gnashing of teeth recently over the schemes we run on offense (most of which I agree). My question is.....why don't we just copy other good schemes. Just look at the Chiefs all-22, write the plays down, and run them?

I feel like I'm missing something big though lol as to why that can't simply be done. We've always heard that the NFL is a copycat league, and I feel like it shouldn't be that hard for Roman to just scrap whatever foolishness he has and just call Reids plays.....what am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Re: ELI5.....I Feel Stupid

Reid is great at adjusting in game and attacking the weakness of the opposition. Can't copy that.. just gotta do your homework. Film room overtime.

Can’t copy Mahomes

Blog Entries

Personnel is a factor, but the biggest factor is when to call what play. it's not just a matter of the plays that are called , but calling plays off of the previous play or a play in the previous drive or previous game. There is a flow to it and also guessing what the defense is trying to do and calling a play that exploits the weakness. Like when you think a team is going to blitz and calling a screen pass.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    There's been so much gnashing of teeth recently over the schemes we run on offense (most of which I agree). My question is.....why don't we just copy other good schemes. Just look at the Chiefs all-22, write the plays down, and run them?

I feel like I'm missing something big though lol as to why that can't simply be done. We've always heard that the NFL is a copycat league, and I feel like it shouldn't be that hard for Roman to just scrap whatever foolishness he has and just call Reids plays.....what am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    You're not missing anything. I notice it all the time across the league. At least couple of times this season I've seen one team run a very distinctive play and then seen another team run it a few weeks later. (My mind isn't the type to remember specifics sadly. All I remember is thinking "Aah, Team X scored off this play last week.")

There are loads of creative offensive minds in the league and Roman should steal a few of their ideas. He should at the very least look at the route combinations successful passing games use and steal those because he seems to really struggle at putting those together in a way that troubles the defense.

Speaking of copying I heard the suggestion somewhere that the Ravens should copy some of the passing game from the 2012 RG3 Redskins. That's not a bad idea, Shanahan is a good offensive coach and they had Kyle, LeFleur and McVay all on the staff. They managed to come up with passing plays that helped RG3 win OROY so it must have been good stuff.

Blog Entries

Putting personnel aside-

You can steal a play or some plays
    But coaches build their playbooks around what they know and the philosophy they believe in

So if you want a different philosophy you’re better off getting a coach that knows and believes in the offense you want rather then asking a coach you have to try and coach a different philosophy

So successful l that the coaching staff want Cousins as their QB ?
    Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Speaking of copying I heard the suggestion somewhere that the Ravens should copy some of the passing game from the 2012 RG3 Redskins. That's not a bad idea, Shanahan is a good offensive coach and they had Kyle, LeFleur and McVay all on the staff. They managed to come up with passing plays that helped RG3 win OROY so it must have been good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Putting personnel aside-

But coaches build their playbooks around what they know and the philosophy they believe in

So if you want a different philosophy you’re better off getting a coach that knows and believes in the offense you want rather then asking a coach you have to try and coach a different philosophy
    This all day and then some...

Here's the thing...for a coach to make it to the NFL, to the pinnacle of their profession, things had to go right.
    Maybe ALOT right...and that coach figures his philosophy had worked, maybe all the time in their mind.
    Examples, Billick and Cameron.
    When told to change, they would not listen to the point of failure and firing.

I am believing that is the case here with Roman.
    He has had great success and must think that what he does will always work.
    And when it doesn't, its the players not executing.

But really the point is, as a coach, your job is to put your players in the best position to succeed.
    But, a coach will become stubborn due to past success and belief that it is not their failing but the players.

Warner's video is not the first, but actually just another to point things out that should be obvious to Harbs and the organization, but appears it is not. That is upsetting.
    What will it take for things to change???
    Well, it took Harbs and company 4 and a half seasons before they canned Cameron.
    Cameron would not acknowledge the obvious. No, you are all wrong, I am right.

After Cameron's firing, Caldwell puts everyone in their proper place and the Ravens suddenly become a juggernaut and win a super bowl.
    Harbs and company need to find someone prolific in the passing game and get him in here before more years are wasted.
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    So successful l that the coaching staff want Cousins as their QB ?
    I think that helps make the case that they had some good plays. They made the second best QB on the roster into OROY and went to the playoffs with a roster that had no business being there.

Blog Entries

it's a copycat league

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Putting personnel aside-

That's mostly true but the good ones can change and even the average ones do adapt a little and move with the times bit by bit. It tends to be the mark of the poorer coaches that they just stick with their system, no matter what, cause it's all they know how to do.

Coaches like Andy Reid have added a little and taken away a little every year until their offenses look pretty different. The Chiefs offense doesn't look look much like Reid's WCO from Philadelphia and I think a lot of that flexibilty is due to the fact that he's probably the biggest borrower of plays in the whole NFL.

I think copying probably helps coaches to innovate by making them think about how that play works and what ideas from it would fit with their own offense. Matt LeFleur is another coach who steals plays from everywhere and it looks like his offense is benefitting from it.