Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: First Ravens Game?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I was about 12 yrs old. My dad took me. We hosted the Broncos, and Ed Simonini stuffed them on 4th-&-goal at the end of the game, to preserve a thrilling 7-6 win.
    Was this the game that the Colts blocked a Jim Turner chip shot field goal at the end that would have put Denver up 9-7? I distinctly remember listening to the game on radio and thinking it was over. Then Chuck Thompson yelled "blocked!!" And I jumped off my bed to celebrate. That must have been 1977 or so. Great memory.

My first game was Jets at Colts at Memorial. Had to be 1978 because I was 16 and drove to the game. We won but I forget the score.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Was this the game that the Colts blocked a Jim Turner chip shot field goal at the end that would have put Denver up 9-7? I distinctly remember listening to the game on radio and thinking it was over. Then Chuck Thompson yelled "blocked!!" And I jumped off my bed to celebrate. That must have been 1977 or so. Great memory.
    Maybe?

I remember the stadium announcer calling the tackle on that goal line stop. But maybe that was 3rd down and not 4th? That would make sense. I don't remember a blocked FG. But I might not have been able to see it, if all the grownups were standing.

Thrilling finish, even if I missed some of the fine points.

3. Re: First Ravens Game?

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post

My first game was Jets at Colts at Memorial. Had to be 1978 because I was 16 and drove to the game. We won but I forget the score.
    Well, if someone else is going to point out how old Jim is, I won't feel bad about sharing this anymore: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...7810220clt.htm

Yes, it appears the game ended on a blocked FG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post
    Mike Barnes blocked a 27-yard field goal attempt by Jim Turner with eight seconds left in the game yesterday to preserve a 7-6 Baltimore Colt victory over the defending AFC champion Denver Broncos at Memorial Stadium.
    Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-6d04ae3fa28c/
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

In 1997 I was a freshman at UMBC and my dad took me to my first Ravens game at Memorial Stadium.

The game itself was pretty lackluster but it was a notable moment in our franchise's history as we tied the Eagles 10-10. To this day it remains our first and only tie.

Stover missed a 53 yarder in OT and the Eagles kicker, Chris Boniol, missed a 40 yard FG as OT expired to ensure the official "sister kisser."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My 1st Ravens game was the opening game vs Raiders. Unless you want to count the 2 preseason games I went to.

My actual 1st NFL game was Colts vs Vikings in 1965 with my uncle who was a season ticket holder then. I was at the 1st 2 home games that season and in 1966.

My first Ravens game was last season's playoff-clinching 24-17 win at the Bills. Ravens dominated the game from start to finish, but refs helped the Bills to keep it close. Was awesome to see Lamar juke out defenders. Couldn't help but feel a little bit disappointed when the Ravens ran off the field instantly after the win as I was hoping to celebrate a bit with them from the stands.

The experience was very good, Bills fans were great and I had some good discussions with some of them, except this one lady behind us who kept yelling "kill him" when Lamar had the ball. I thought the stadium was very basic, I had seen two games of Green Bay at Detroit before and liked how they use the light/sound shows to create the atmosphere whereas there was none of that at Buffalo.

Anyways, can't wait for my first game at the Bank! Hope it will be a home playoff game ;)

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    In 1997 I was a freshman at UMBC and my dad took me to my first Ravens game at Memorial Stadium.

The game itself was pretty lackluster but it was a notable moment in our franchise's history as we tied the Eagles 10-10. To this day it remains our first and only tie.

Stover missed a 53 yarder in OT and the Eagles kicker, Chris Boniol, missed a 40 yard FG as OT expired to ensure the official "sister kisser."

Do you remember the all out riot in the uppder deck? Probably around 30-40 people involved. There were people rolling down the steps including Baltimroe City PD. Probably the worst fight I've seen break out at a game.

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Yes, it appears the game ended on a blocked FG:
    Well, just let's not give short-shrift to Ed Simonini's great tackle the play before, to force the FG attempt.

Dude must have made a zillion tackles that day. The PA announcer kept saying his name over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post

I'm trying to remember if that was the game where the Ravens had 10 QB sacks. There was a pizza promotion then where you got 1 free topping for each sack in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    I'm trying to remember if that was the game where the Ravens had 10 QB sacks. There was a pizza promotion then where you got 1 free topping for each sack in a game.

Pretty sure it was Pappa John's. Can't remember if it was that game or not, but remember that promotion ending quickly after that!

11. Re: First Ravens Game?

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Looks like 9, but yes: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...9711160rav.htm
    • McCrary: 3.0
    • Boulware: 2.0
    • James Jones(?): 2.0
    • Burnett: 1.0
    • Sharper: 1.0
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)