Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2021222324 LastLast
  1. Re: 2021 Ravens Draft Discussion Board

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Phillips is on the board at 27 no way am I trading back. I think the guy will be long gone before that.
    I do think he will possibly be off the board, but if he's not it's the medical evals that teams are not comfortable with and that's why I have him in that area. He's certainly a top 15 talent IMO, but if those medicals are causing a lot of other teams to pass, even though I'd trust my medical staff, I'm not taking him with my #1 pick.

2. Re: 2021 Ravens Draft Discussion Board

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Will be interesting to see where he goes in real life. I'm a pass on him at 27.
    Initially early in the draft process I was a take him at 27 guy. But after looking more and thinking about the medical evals, I'm with you on this one. I'd pass at 27. I have him day 1/early to mid day 2 player at this point instead of a just day 1 guy. To be clear, for me talent is not the issue. If I were comfortable with the medical evals I would have him higher. But stranger things have happened where guys who get hurt a lot in college get to the NFL and do not have any issues and on the flip side, guys who are completely healthy in college get in the league and can't stay healthy.

Blog Entries

Re: 2021 Ravens Draft Discussion Board

Will be interesting to see where he goes in real life. I'm a pass on him at 27.
    I think if you are worried about his concussion history, that is a fair concern
    After all I have the same worries with Landon Dickerson. I think Dickersons medical history is more concerning that Phillips because players who have lots of ligament related injuries early on seem to always get them later on in their careers on a regular basis. Some guys ligaments just cannot withstand the punishment and wear/tear of the professional game. This is why I took Dickerson off my board in rds 1-2. I think with Phillips it is less concerning because NFL teams have the resources to prevent concussion injuries a lot more than colleges can.

I have no idea why you'd pass up on Phillips if it is based on talent. Greg Cosell thinks Phillips is a top 10 level talent, and watching him play, he reminds me of TJ Watt.

I think if you are worried about his concussion history, that is a fair concern
    After all I have the same worries with Landon Dickerson. I think Dickersons medical history is more concerning that Phillips because players who have lots of ligament related injuries early on seem to always get them later on in their careers on a regular basis. Some guys ligaments just cannot withstand the punishment and wear/tear of the professional game. This is why I took Dickerson off my board in rds 1-2. I think with Phillips it is less concerning because NFL teams have the resources to prevent concussion injuries a lot more than colleges can.

I have no idea why you'd pass up on Phillips if it is based on talent. Greg Cosell thinks Phillips is a top 10 level talent, and watching him play, he reminds me of TJ Watt.
    It's not injury. It's fit. I think he needs to be a hand in dirt 4-3 pure pass rusher--which the Ravens never seem to utilize well--and he is a liability against the run from what I see in him.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

It's not injury. It's fit. I think he needs to be a hand in dirt 4-3 pure pass rusher--which the Ravens never seem to utilize well--and he is a liability against the run from what I see in him.
    Then I disagree with that. Phillips is a great edge setter and pass rusher. I actually think if anything, Phillips fits a 3-4 better than a 4-3... but he could play in both schemes

6. Re: 2021 Ravens Draft Discussion Board

Then I disagree with that. Phillips is a great edge setter and pass rusher. I actually think if anything, Phillips fits a 3-4 better than a 4-3... but he could play in both schemes
    To be fair, when it comes to edge setting and run defense consistency is what he needs to work on. I mean you go from Va Tech early in the season and then to UNC in their last game. He was great vs Va Tech, did have some issues getting up field too far vs Clemson and then UNC just exploited both him and Roche getting too far up the field. The Counter run AT him is how UNC exposed a hole in his game. At times he got too far up field and the pulling blockers just allowed him to as he ran himself out of the play At other times he crashed too far inside at the inside shoulder of the initial puller allowing the HB to get outside. Didn't help that the Linebackers didn't fill well either. I think this is a play that Phillips does not like and his technique and physicality dips when he has to face this. But this is also why I've always maintained that Paye and Ojulari are better run defenders than Phillips at this point. No matter the run, they are both physical at the point and they read it very quickly. Neither have an issue attacking pullers and they do not allow backs to cut outside or underneath.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    To be fair, when it comes to edge setting and run defense consistency is what he needs to work on. I mean you go from Va Tech early in the season and then to UNC in their last game. He was great vs Va Tech, did have some issues getting up field too far vs Clemson and then UNC just exploited both him and Roche getting too far up the field. The Counter run AT him is how UNC exposed a hole in his game. At times he got too far up field and the pulling blockers just allowed him to as he ran himself out of the play At other times he crashed too far inside at the inside shoulder of the initial puller allowing the HB to get outside. Didn't help that the Linebackers didn't fill well either. I think this is a play that Phillips does not like and his technique and physicality dips when he has to face this. But this is also why I've always maintained that Paye and Ojulari are better run defenders than Phillips at this point. No matter the run, they are both physical at the point and they read it very quickly. Neither have an issue attacking pullers and they do not allow backs to cut outside or underneath.
    This is one of the reasons why I think he is a lot like TJ Watt because Watt can get too aggressive in run support at times and leave gaps behind. I think it is something that he can work on with the Ravens who have historically the best coaching staff when it comes to teaching edge setting.

8. Re: 2021 Ravens Draft Discussion Board

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Shas, first off I hear your dog is pretty smart

PFF is right, I was going to Draft him for the Packers (I had 2nd round pick #62), but thought that was too high. Maybe perhaps in the 3rd (pick #92)?

The Jets continue the trend. Look at how much draft capital they spent to move up to take Sam Darnold just two years ago. Now he's been discarded for less, and will undoubtedly select another QB in 2021. SMH... Bc
    Just going back to the Dionte Brown conversation, I wouldn't take him at 27 but he would definitely be on my board, especially with the way we play. Now certainly, he had a terrible Senior Bowl week and a a so so Senior Bowl game, but I have to look at 1 week and 1 game vs 23 SEC games and when I look at the 23 SEC games Brown is a damn people mover. And here is the tell. GO back and watch Bama vs Auburn 2019. Watch Brown easily and consistently by himself move Panthers 1st round pick Derrick Brown. While not in the first, I'd certainly have a range where I'd take him. Dude is strong as an Ox and just moves people with ease.

Blog Entries

Just going back to the Dionte Brown conversation, I wouldn't take him at 27 but he would definitely be on my board, especially with the way we play. Now certainly, he had a terrible Senior Bowl week and a a so so Senior Bowl game, but I have to look at 1 week and 1 game vs 23 SEC games and when I look at the 23 SEC games Brown is a damn people mover. And here is the tell. GO back and watch Bama vs Auburn 2019. Watch Brown easily and consistently by himself move Panthers 1st round pick Derrick Brown. While not in the first, I'd certainly have a range where I'd take him. Dude is strong as an Ox and just moves people with ease.
    Wiz, he was just "drafted", in our RSR Mock Draft, in the 4th round (#110 pick). Problem with Brown is he may eat himself out of the league. Last listed weight I saw was 344. reminds me of Michael Pierce (#97) :

I think the Ravens sent him home to lose a ton (pun intended) of weight.
    Maybe if Brown slimmed down a little, he'd be a more attractive candidate (?)

... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 04-13-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo (weight 244 changed to 344)

I think this was a case of him hearing that the Ravens may move to Bozeman to Center and that Zeiter will play RG. My theory is that he (like him as a GM) looked at a list that broke down LGs and RGs based on their position in college, gave no thought at all and figured we didn’t need a Center or RG, so he gave us the top LG on the board. It had to be something like that. That’s just such a dumb pick for us. We could literally trade back atleast 38 spots and still get him. The whole mock was a joke. The other ESPN writers like Kiper and McShay ROASTED him on the Mock Draft special. MCShay even made a funny joke (maybe a joke) that he hopes the executives let him do a Mock Draft 2.0 because the whole draft was poorly put together and he has a lot of correcting to do. The Pitts pick being so late was the biggest thing they laughed at him for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Wiz, he was just "drafted", in our RSR Mock Draft, in the 4th round (#110 pick). Problem with Brown is he may eat himself out of the league. Last listed weight I saw was 244. reminds me of Michael Pierce (#97) :

I think the Ravens sent him home to lose a ton (pun intended) of weight.
    Maybe if Brown slimmed down a little, he'd be a more attractive candidate (?)

... Bc
    That Pierce joke was classic. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Missingweblink View Post
    I think this was a case of him hearing that the Ravens may move to Bozeman to Center and that Zeiter will play RG. My theory is that he (like him as a GM) looked at a list that broke down LGs and RGs based on their position in college, gave no thought at all and figured we didn’t need a Center or RG, so he gave us the top LG on the board. It had to be something like that. That’s just such a dumb pick for us. We could literally trade back atleast 38 spots and still get him. The whole mock was a joke. The other ESPN writers like Kiper and McShay ROASTED him on the Mock Draft special. MCShay even made a funny joke (maybe a joke) that he hopes the executives let him do a Mock Draft 2.0 because the whole draft was poorly put together and he has a lot of correcting to do. The Pitts pick being so late was the biggest thing they laughed at him for.

I gotta say, I think people may be forgetting about his teammate Alex Leatherwood amidst all this draft hype. I'd much rather see the Ravens draft him in Rd 1. He can do the guard thing for a year and replace OBJ later. He played some RG at Alabama so isn't completely inexperienced on that side of the line.

6'5" 312
    9.5" hands, small
    33 7/8" arms, a tick below average
    84 5/8" wingspan, very good

34.5" vert
    118" broad
    5.01 forty, very good
    4.65 shuttle, very good
    7.45 3cone, very good

And, LT on Alabama's national championship team.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 04-13-2021 at 11:27 AM.