Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Put The Leather Helmets Away: Offseason Guide

The message this offseason is simple, put the leather helmets away, give Navy their offense back, step into the modern NFL. We're wasting Lamar's rookie contract, wearing Lamar down physically, and wasting a SB window by playing offense like this. I personally would like to see Lamar have a long successful career here, not be gimmicked into the ground

After 3 postseasons of the running game meeting an untimely demise at the hands of a well schemed/disciplined defense that turned the lights out on a 1-dimensional offense, it's time for a change. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over but expecting different results. The Ravens will never win a Super Bowl by spending/drafting big on defense and relying solely on a power running game infused with Lamar magic, put that one to bed.

The passing game needs a total overhaul, from scheme, to personnel. A new OC is probably the right move.... but Roman is staying so I won't even go down that road. The goal is to achieve balance, along the lines of what Stefanski has done in Cleveland. An offense that can both punish you on the ground but also air the ball out. Where downfield passing feels natural and not like a last resort.

1. Get a WR1:

Get a veteran player that is unanimously considered a top 25 NFL WR. An elite talent that Lamar can count on the way Josh Allen can rely on Diggs or Baker can rely on Landry. Scour the FA market and the trade market. Pay the money or trade the draft capital. Pound the fucking pavement until you come back with a player. This is non-negotiable.

Notables FA/Trade: Allen Robinson (My pick), Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin, Julio Jones, Adam Thielen

Draft: This objective cannot be met in the draft barring a massive trade up, not worth it

2. Acquire A Snead Upgrade:

Let Snead walk in FA. We need extra juice in his role. Decent player but an upgrade is in order if we're going to do this right. This can either come via the FA market or early in the draft. Must be able to play in the slot.

Notable FA: Rashard Higgins (my pick), Marvin Jones, Keelan Cole

Draft: This objective can alternatively be met in the draft with a late 1st or 2nd round selection but I'm not a huge fan of our WR scouting, best to just avoid this if possible

3. Receiving TE

The Ravens need a Hayden Hurst replacement, Lamar loves his TE's. Nick Boyle will be coming back off a major knee injury and the Ravens can certainly use a 3rd TE as both an insurance policy & a quality passing down option. I would lean more towards the Draft here... but I will include some FA's if we were to go that route.

Notable FA: Gerald Everrett, Trey Burton

Draft: This objective is preferably met in the draft with a round 4 or 5 selection (my pick)

4. Re-Enforce iOL

A great passing game begins with a good OL, go ask Baker Mayfield who looked like a different player behind their revamped OL. Ravens bookend Tackles are an elite pair, the iOL however is weak and needs an upgrade, being able to simply snap the ball would be a start

Notable FA: Corey Linsley, Alex Mack, Joe Looney

Draft: This objective can be met with a late 1st or 2nd round selection (my pick)

5. Stop Putting Eggs In The Breakout Season Basket

This is a lesson the Ravens haven't learned going back to 2013 when they traded Boldin in the hopes of Tandon Doss & Deonte Thompson becoming big time players. Ravens did it yet again in 2020 by relying on a Boykin breakout season. Don't do it in 2021 by counting on a Duvernay breakout season. If your young players make leaps that is just gravy on top, but when you put all your eggs in that basket you set yourself up for failure.

6. Stop Dumpster Diving At WR

This is another lesson that is long overdue. Maclin, Crabtree, Roberts, Dez. Enough. You get what you pay for as the saying goes. Do not make another pathetic attempt at addressing the position with aging or unimpressive "bargain" players. Same goes with drafting, you clearly aren't good at it in the mid rounds. Stop attempting to fill holes that way.
    Last edited by sflegend89; 01-18-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Re: Put The Leather Helmets Away: Offseason Guide

Grab a free agent WR like Robinson as you mentioned and put Hollywood in the slot where he belongs. Avoid drafting one entirely. The draft should be OL and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Grab a free agent WR like Robinson as you mentioned and put Hollywood in the slot where he belongs. Avoid drafting one entirely. The draft should be OL and defense.
    Yup, that's the way I structured the guide for my picks. The Ravens are terrible at drafting WR's, just stop going down that road and being disappointed. Grab a WR1 (A-Rob) and a mid-level upgrade (Like Higgins or Marvin Jones) in FA, let Snead walk, and then draft iOL + defense. They already have a pair of 3rd round WR's that they're failing to get results out of.

Fix the WR position in FA, spend the damn money there for once and stop trying to bargain bin and draft your way out of it. If Duv/Boykin improve then great, but stop relying on it.

Facts! Agree with all this.

Blog Entries

I would move point 3 wayyyyy up IF one of Pitts (1st round) or Jordan (2nd, and hell maybe even first) drop. I don’t see Pitts falling so I would like to see a trade out of the first to try and pick up our missing third and then take Jordan and an edge and iol with next two picks. Then dbs and a d linemen.

AND GO GET AROB!

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Yup, that's the way I structured the guide for my picks. The Ravens are terrible at drafting WR's, just stop going down that road and being disappointed. Grab a WR1 (A-Rob) and a mid-level upgrade (Like Higgins or Marvin Jones) in FA, let Snead walk, and then draft iOL + defense. They already have a pair of 3rd round WR's that they're failing to get results out of.

Fix the WR position in FA, spend the damn money there for once and stop trying to bargain bin and draft your way out of it
    So far, EDCs track record of drafting receivers isn't tainted. Brown has been great for us especially in the postseason. I just want to avoid drafting one this year because after Waddle, Smith, and Chase are taken all you have left are a bunch of "maybes" and "what evers". Nobody that stands out really.

If the Ravens had managed to land Diggs from the Vikings we would not be having this discussion this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    I would move point 3 wayyyyy up IF one of Pitts (1st round) or Jordan (2nd, and hell maybe even first) drop. I don’t see Pitts falling so I would like to see a trade out of the first to try and pick up our missing third and then take Jordan and an edge and iol with next two picks. Then dbs and a d linemen.

AND GO GET AROB!
    They aren't ranked in order of importance haha, but I do agree. It's just a list of objectives for fixing the passing game. If I did the entire offseason guide (both sides of the ball) it would be a novel

Fix the WR position in FA, spend the damn money there for once and stop trying to bargain bin and draft your way out of it. If Duv/Boykin improve then great, but stop relying on it.
    This team has a Super Bowl run window open and one way to close that window shut is relying on a draft pick at WR instead of a proven asset like Robinson. Ravens have a good track record drafting at other positions like defensive line and TE, so fall back on that draft expertise to fill certain roster holes but not WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    So far, EDCs track record of drafting receivers isn't tainted. Brown has been great for us especially in the postseason. I just want to avoid drafting one this year because after Waddle, Smith, and Chase are taken all you have left are a bunch of "maybes" and "what evers". Nobody that stands out really.
    It's clearly better than Ozzie's WR chops but so far EDC's only hit has been Hollywood who was a 1st round pick, where the odds are much more in your favor.

Boykin is approaching bust territory. I do like Duvernay but they didn't utilize him at all. Jury is still out on Duv but I think he ends up being solid.

Either way, they need a massive talent injection at X receiver and a more dynamic replacement for Snead

It's clearly better than Ozzie's WR chops but so far EDC's only hit has been Hollywood who was a 1st round pick, where the odds are much more in your favor.

Boykin is approaching bust territory. I do like Duvernay but they didn't utilize him at all. Jury is still out on Duv but I think he ends up being solid.

Either way, they need a massive talent injection at X receiver and a more dynamic replacement for Snead
    Robinson would be expensive but if we were to add him we could go into the season with him and Duvernay out wide and Hollywood in the slot. Draft OL and defense and we're fine.. but Roman at OC still needs to be questioned. 3 points in the playoffs aint it

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    This team has a Super Bowl run window open and one way to close that window shut is relying on a draft pick at WR instead of a proven asset like Robinson. Ravens have a good track record drafting at other positions like defensive line and TE, so fall back on that draft expertise to fill certain roster holes but not WR.
    Hit the nail on the head.

We always preach playing to our strengths on the field but we don't employ that tactic with how we draft. Draft the positions you have a good track record with and sign proven FA's where you struggle to evaluate/develop. I really don't want to see us draft a single WR this year, Duv/Boykin is plenty on that developmental front. Go out and get a premiere WR in FA/Trade market.