Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Offensive failures are ultimately Decosta's failures. After Tenn whipped us last year we could have anticipated Lamar's regression & boosted his supporting cast. Instead we let Hurst & Roberts go, and Yanda retired. Ok we got JK thank God but otherwise zero attempt to replace them & we tripled down on our run defense.

I don't love Roman these days but to be fair he was dealt some bs this year. Bozeman should not be a LG & we still need a RG. Not to mention as others have already noted that we need an actual talented real live center.

They need to invest in Lamar/the offense for the first time since we had Joe on a rookie contract.

I'm not absolving Lamar or G Ro of responsibility but our offense is trash aside Lamar, Andrews, Hollywood, JK & Gus.

But itd be foolish to expect them to address the offense this offseason because they haven't done so in a decade. Prove it. Until then their priorities are to be a good team that lives & dies with Lamar and is ultimately outgunned come playoff time (no 3 pt shooters as sflegend says - & i love that analogy). We need shooters! But I ain't holding my breath.

Ty Hilton or aj green come on down...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    "I cant believe all these wrs don't want to come here for cheap �� . Don't they know wrs aren't important"

Harbs stubbornness is really weighing on my last nerve. The worst sales pitch I've ever heard.

Instead of saying: "This is a great opportunity for a WR to come here and take us to the next level, we need to be more effective in the pass game, so if you're a great WR and come to Baltimore you will get opportunities to showcase you skills with Lamar Jackson, you can be a difference maker on a championship caliber team"

But he opts for: "If you're a WR that wants to touch the ball then don't come here, we could care less, if you want to chase a ring and run block we would be happy to have you though"

Every fucking good receiver wants the ball and to be involved in the offense, John. How about you simply tell them that if they get open consistently, make plays, then we will incorporate you in the offense and we'll get you the ball. How hard is that?

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Harbs stubbornness is really weighing on my last nerve. The worst sales pitch I've ever heard.

Instead of saying: "This is a great opportunity for a WR to come here and take us to the next level, we need to be more effective in the pass game, so if you're a great WR and come to Baltimore you will get opportunities to showcase you skills with Lamar Jackson, you can be a difference maker on a championship caliber team"

But he opts for: "If you're a WR that wants to touch the ball then don't come here, we could care less, if you want to chase a ring and run block we would be happy to have you though"

Every fucking good receiver wants the ball and to be involved in the offense, John. How about you simply tell them that if they get open consistently, make plays, then we will incorporate you in the offense and we'll get you the ball. How hard is that?
    It’s still a lie. Harbs and Co are gonna run Lamar into the ground and then cast him away just like Joe. Once Lamar has to pass and can’t really run any more ...he’s toast. Nothing is gonna change with this offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    It’s still a lie. Harbs and Co are gonna run Lamar into the ground and then cast him away just like Joe. Once Lamar has to pass and can’t really run any more ...he’s toast. Nothing is gonna change with this offense.

Sure does feel that way, the fact that they think they can continue to use Lamar's designed runs as a focal point of the offense is very disheartening. The kid has a big time arm, has made some tremendous throws... yet his own HC seems hellbent on running him into the ground to try to win a SB with his legs, "Let's just run it back and we'll execute better next year". Bullshit.

Nobody is asking him to become Mahomes. Nobody is asking to throw the ball 40 times a game. Nobody is expecting the offense to not butter it's bread on the ground. But what we do expect is that you look after Lamar's long term health, evolve the offense, develop the passing game, and move away from being Navy/Georgia Tech. Have some damn respect for his ability to throw the ball as well, get him the weapons he needs, and let him run more as a last resort or situationally rather than the focal point of your offense

Sure does feel that way, the fact that they think they can continue to use Lamar's designed runs as a focal point of the offense is very disheartening. The kid has a big time arm, has made some tremendous throws... yet his own HC seems hellbent on running him into the ground to try to win a SB with his legs, "Let's just run it back and we'll execute better next year". Bullshit.

Nobody is asking him to become Mahomes. Nobody is asking to throw the ball 40 times a game. Nobody is expecting the offense to not butter it's bread on the ground. But what we do expect is that you look after Lamar's long term health, evolve the offense, develop the passing game, and move away from being Navy/Georgia Tech. Have some damn respect for his ability to throw the ball as well, get him the weapons he needs, and let him run more as a last resort or situationally rather than the focal point of your offense
    I don’t think that would equal more wins at all... in fact, that strategy sounds about like what we tried to do during the mid season lull where we dropped what, 4 of 5 games?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I don’t think that would equal more wins at all... in fact, that strategy sounds about like what we tried to do during the mid season lull where we dropped what, 4 of 5 games?

Prob is we don’t have the weapons to execute an offense like that now. If Lamar is only gonna throw to Hollywood and Mandrews ..it’s easy to cover them. We need to revamp the pass game scheme and add some real pieces. Maybe Wood, Mandrews and Duv is the set ? JK for a swing pass? Defenses not only don’t fear our pass game they don’t even give it a thought.

Yup, simply doubling down on the running game is not the way forward. It's important to stay rooted in our identity as a run based offense but there is a very glaring achilles heel that we must address when we play these stacked boxes in the postseason. When something goes wrong on the defense the front office fixes it. We got gashed by Chubb/Henry last year? Trade for Calais Campbell, sign Brockers (Later became Wolfe), draft a pair of ILB's early, draft a DT early. They took care of the problem.

They have to address issues on both sides of the ball that way, not just on defense. What they did for the run defense last offseason they now must do for the passing game this offseason. They have made a trade for Campbell, Peters, Yannick in the last year and made zero on the offense. The bias is evident.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Ding ding ding. Same fuxking story for a decade. And ppl lap it up like is gospel.
    Yep the defense has a short coming, the coaching staff and front office start freaking out. And the number one priority the next off-season is fixing and spending $$$ on the defense. The wide receiver position remains an ongoing issue and when it gets addressed the team signs a past their prime WR.

No one is saying overspend on the offense like the Falcons have in recent years, but stop going bare cupboard with the receiving depth chart.

Blog Entries

Prob is we don’t have the weapons to execute an offense like that now. If Lamar is only gonna throw to Hollywood and Mandrews ..it’s easy to cover them. We need to revamp the pass game scheme and add some real pieces. Maybe Wood, Mandrews and Duv is the set ? JK for a swing pass? Defenses not only don’t fear our pass game they don’t even give it a thought.

The other problem is that if every time you try it and it hits a rut, your response is to increase Lamar’s carries, his passing will never come close to significantly growing.

Blog Entries

Think about it this way. There was only one, ONE team, that could have ran over them the way Tennessee did last year, and that was Tennessee. Yet and still, they were immediately triggered and heck-bent on fixing the run defense.

The passing offense, which significantly more teams are better utilizing to make these conference Championship Games an Super Bowls, took a back seat to stopping one RB. And the Titans aren’t even the best team in the conference.

Now, as a result, Buffalo has leapfrogged the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

When we didn't have an offseason program, our franchise LT was on IR, and his 2nd best WR was Willie Snead?

Yeah, fuck it. Just run Lamar into the ground and kick him to the curb when his body can't take it anymore. There's some good QB classes coming up

When we didn't have an offseason program, our franchise LT was on IR, and his 2nd best WR was Willie Snead?

Yeah, fuck it. Just run Lamar into the ground and kick him to the curb when his body can't take it anymore. There's some good QB classes coming up

12. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

That's good. Joe was with the Ravens how long? 11 years as the primary starter. 2-10 as a starter for other teams the last 2 years. First 5 years, 5 winning records. Finishing with a Super Bowl win. Next 6 years, 1 playoff appearance. 2 winning seasons. 42-41 record over the last 6 seasons.

Your argument seems to be that Joe Flacco, despite having 5 good years and 6 mediocre years, did not get enough years as a starter? That "cast him away" describes the Ravens treatment of Flacco, despite giving him 11 years as a starter.

Apparently, QBs should stay the starter until age 40, with declining performance and even getting pay raises. For no reason. One could argue that if you can get the same performance or close to the same performance, measured in wins, with a QB on their rookie deal as the vet QB making $20-40 M, you are smart to get rid of the vet QB.

Are you suggesting that Lamar wasn't a good draft pick? The Ravens got him at 1/32. That's pretty cheap. And Lamar has been piling up the wins, really, better than Flacco did. 19-3 to start the first 2 years. Pretty impressive I'd say. And hopefully, the Ravens can continue to do what they do, whatever it is, with Lamar who is presumably getting a little better passing every year, while staying a great runner, enough to get them to the playoffs, and once in the playoffs, well each year is different, any given Sunday, and maybe the oline has 5 good oliners instead of 1 good oliner, 1 mediocre oliner, and 3 bad oliners. The run game is strong, and Lamar is as mobile as they come, but 3 bad oliners impacted the game in small and even large ways, with bad snaps causing a Lamar concussion. But each year will be slightly different.

There is no reason to want to keep Lamar for any specific period of time. No reason to think that a longer period of time with Lamar at QB is better than a shorter period of time. What's important are the wins, especially the wins in the playoffs. Does expensive Lamar give the Ravens the better chance to win or does the cheap running QB on the rookie deal. I'd have to assume, and I think that Harbaugh explicitly stated, Lamar will be signing a contract extension and I'd assume that he would be very well paid. At some point, in the future, the Ravens will make a decision about Lamar, going forward, and at some point they'll decide not to keep him. What you'd want the Ravens to do is make the right decision about what is the right thing to do with Lamar. It's not that longer is better or shorter is better, it's the question of what QB gets the team the wins in the playoffs.
    '
    "Nothing is gonna change with this offense."

Hopefully, the oline has new players on it, it's better, and the Ravens win more playoff games.

And I'd say, more specifically than "new" and "oline", I'd say add some giants. 6'9 guys. Hybrid OT/TE. Spencer Brown is one, he's at the Senior Bowl. Faalele and Himmelman are others. other 6'9 guys. I really like that idea. It's not the same thing necessarily as getting a Center who was proven to be good in the NFL. There are a number of different ways to improve the oline, to improve run blocking. I'd have to say that a 6'9 320+ TE is going to be able to run block well. I'd say that if this TE, who played OT in college, was a TE in high school, he's going to have at least rudimentary pass catching skills which can be developed. That 6'9 320+ TE is going to be able to help the run game, as well as adding a red zone threat. It's theoretically possible for a 6'9 OT to be moved to the IOL, even to Center. I wouldn't say "sure no problem that would be easy". It's possible that one of these 3 6'9 OTs is a high sparq beast with a tremendous amount of potential positional versatility, potential dominance at some things. a bigger Patrick Ricard, perhaps capable of playing defense as well as offense.

It's been speculated that Spencer Brown, 6'9 320, would be running the 40 in the 4.90-5.00 range. If so, that makes him as fast as Nick Boyle, and Boyles speed is not a problem for him as a pass catcher. Perhaps Spencer Browns skills as a TE were quite good, nothing wrong with them, but OT is a more important position in college than slow blocking TE, and presents an easier opportunity. Both Brown and Himmelman have resumes that say "good all around athlete" from high school. Star Basketball players who had a lot of rebounds, points and blocked shots. Baseball pitchers with good records and fast fastballs. Both Tight Ends and Defensive Ends in high school, with a lot of TD catches and a lot of sacks. Being tall, generally great at everything they did, at schools that are probably rural, against competition that probably wasn't so great, it doesn't mean that they're NFL athletes. So you'll want to look as closely at these guys as possible. It really is possible that you could find some sort of MegaGronk there. To me, if you have the top athleticism, and the stats from high school and the video from high school, catching TDs, sacking the QB, being great at basketball, it really isn't at all far fetched that they could be top quality star great at TE or even other positions. Could also be great at OT. Maybe even IOL.