Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    There is no scenario where adding a stud #1 WR is bad for your team. I'm talking strictly football not money. Even money wise, the Ravens would have no problem backing up the brinks truck for Robinson. This is the time to do it.
    There's a difference between theoretically doable and maximizing value. There's always two sides to the equation in a salary cap league. Randall Cobb got $27M over 3 years (caveat: Bill O'Brien) and has a cap charge of $10M next season. What opportunities is that contract going to force Houston to forgo this season to improve their team. The FA WR market is always inflated.

EDC is always (almost always if you take Earl Thomas) targeting value. There is no value at the top of the FA WR market. Production yes, value no way.

There is no scenario where adding a stud #1 WR is bad for your team. I'm talking strictly football not money. Even money wise, the Ravens would have no problem backing up the brinks truck for Robinson. This is the time to do it.
    Except the Ravens have never backed up the brinks truck for a WR. What makes you think that will all of a sudden change? This is the same organization that traded Boldin over $2M. I can't see them paying Robinson $20M per year. That's just not how they operate.

I think a mid tier guy like Corey Davis or Marvin Jones is the most realistic option. Davis is intriguing. He'll never live up to that top 5 draft status, but he's a big bodied WR that doesn't mind getting dirty in the run game. He seems like an obvious fit for this current offense.

Here are John Harbaugh's thoughts on getting a big-bodied receiver:

"If we can bring an 'Anquan Boldin' in here, let's do it. Let's do it! Now, can we afford it and move the resources from other things that we need? That's the details that we have to figure out. I think a big, physical receiver would be awesome for us – a big target for Lamar [Jackson]. It could be another tight end too."

""How does that value compare to other spots in the offense and other spots on the team? It really comes down to who you can get and what they're going to cost, in the end. And who wants to be here."

"I'm not going to even worry about convincing anybody to do something. I'm not going to beg anybody to be here. I'm not a college coach, I don't have to recruit anybody. If you want to win, if you want to be part of a good organization and you want to be part of a team and love coming to work every single day, if you love football and want to play in the AFC North, then come here. If you don't, if you're all about stats and numbers and your stat line and how many balls you catch … If that's all you care for, then there's a lot of other teams you can play for and I look forward to lining up against you."

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...e-isn-t-beggin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Except the Ravens have never backed up the brinks truck for a WR. What makes you think that will all of a sudden change? This is the same organization that traded Boldin over $2M. I can't see them paying Robinson $20M per year. That's just not how they operate.

I think a mid tier guy like Corey Davis or Marvin Jones is the most realistic option. Davis is intriguing. He'll never live up to that top 5 draft status, but he's a big bodied WR that doesn't mind getting dirty in the run game. He seems like an obvious fit for this current offense.
    Yep we’ll continue the cycle of bargain bin receivers who don’t do jack. Sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep we’ll continue the cycle of bargain bin receivers who don’t do jack. Sadly.
    I hope not. I'd at least like someone in between a top tier guy and AJ Green's corpse. The kind of solid receiver signing other teams do all the time rather than a last hurrah from an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post

"If we can bring an 'Anquan Boldin' in here, let's do it. Let's do it! Now, can we afford it and move the resources from other things that we need? That's the details that we have to figure out. I think a big, physical receiver would be awesome for us – a big target for Lamar [Jackson]. It could be another tight end too."
    So AJ Green on the downside of career will probably be who gets signed. I'm of the opinion go all in and get Allen Robinson or a real #1 WR before Lamar exits his rookie contract.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    So AJ Green on the downside of career will probably be who gets signed. I'm of the opinion go all in and get Allen Robinson or a real #1 WR before Lamar exits his rookie contract.
    I would hope that trend changes under Decosta but honestly I do not know if it will.

I do not want another old vet who we get 1 year out minimal production out of. Its tired and old.

We all know they need to build the Oline. Defense has a lot of potential turnover so free agency might hamper addressing the WR position yet again which means more draft resources tossed at Defense.

Blog Entries

""How does that value compare to other spots in the offense and other spots on the team? It really comes down to who you can get and what they're going to cost, in the end. And who wants to be here."

"I'm not going to even worry about convincing anybody to do something. I'm not going to beg anybody to be here. I'm not a college coach, I don't have to recruit anybody. If you want to win, if you want to be part of a good organization and you want to be part of a team and love coming to work every single day, if you love football and want to play in the AFC North, then come here. If you don't, if you're all about stats and numbers and your stat line and how many balls you catch … If that's all you care for, then there's a lot of other teams you can play for and I look forward to lining up against you."

I love that

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

In other words, no receivers that have a choice want to come play in this offense led by Lamar, so we will take what we can get, Hell even the receivers that are here are not happy playing with him

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    Hell even the receivers that are here are not happy playing with him
    What receiver is unhappy playing with Lamar? I must've missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Even if the offense didn’t throw 1 more pass then last year Allen Robinson makes the team better.
    In a vacuum, yes.
    But what if that money were used elsewhere?

Allen Robinson
    JJ Watt
    Von Miller
    Joe Thuney
    Or Pouncey and Corey Davis
    Or Alex Mack, and Marvin Jones etc.
    which option, or another similar option of your choice, makes the team most improved? I like option 5 or something along those lines. I think the Snead for Davis swap/upgrade is the correctly measured improvement at outside receiver we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you wonder why we haven't won anything since Ray retired. This man is a clueless FOOL