Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

There are a bunch of FA WRs out there in a year when teams will struggle to cope with a reduced cap. I can envisioned guys taking the best one-year deal they can and wait for the market to bounce back next year. Although, I can also see a team giving them a long term deal with a super low 2021 salary and a signing bonus spread over a bunch of years to fit them under next year.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Maybe you should be a fan of a team with a pocket passer?

The Ravens clearly need upgrades at the oline. The Ravens know this. The press conferences support my position. No one except a handful of people who are as loud as me, and collectively louder, on this board, want to change this team to a passing team.

The Ravens can and should be a team that has no weaknesses in the run game. Even with weaknesses on the oline, the Ravens are able to get wins from having the best run game, due primarily to Lamar's top running at the QB position. The RBs are good as well, and the oline was below average this year, due in part to Stanley's injury, but also the retirement of Yanda, and bad play from the Center spot, and mediocre play by Bozeman, who was the 2nd best oliner after Stanley was hurt. Brown was the best.

That run game, already the best in the NFL, gets supercharged by an oline which is not below average, but is legit top 1/4, will let the Ravens get to the playoffs again, will get them more wins in the playoffs.

Passing just isn't critical, the run game is the best but it's clear that it can be better, good enough to largely ignore the big paychecks given to WRs that basic fans can recognize, just by adding top talent, and I'd include veteran NFL center with a good PFF to that.
    Dude you and John are living in the 40s with this offense! What happens when you come acrossed a high powered offense? You get blown out!! Ravens been running the same scheme since 1999!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    What team was #1 in point differential in the regular season this year? Points scored minus points against?

Ravens.
    o
    So you can pretty much shove it with your analysis. It's not right. You want passes like other teams have passes. "I like passes, all the other teams have passes, and famous expensive receivers. I want to have Ravens receivers on my fantasy teams and if mean ol Greg Roman doesn't have Lamar throwing the ball more, the Ravens receivers won't get enough fantasy points for my fantasy team to win."

Nope, the Ravens had the best point differential. Fix the oline, make it close to dominant. Important to keep strong edge, too.

The Ravens had 2 specific losses in the last 2 years that were relevant. The playoff losses. And what happened in both of those games were errors in the pass game which caused the loss. 2 Ints and a sack/fumble were huge in the Titans loss, and that 101 yard Int return for a TD was a probable 14 point swing against the Bills.

Put differently, screwing up in the pass game caused the Ravens to lose both games. The solution to screwed up passing - is it more passing or less passing? Less passing, especially when you're the #1 rushing team in the NFL (again). If Lamar can be 100% mistake free, or 100% costly mistake free, then, fine, pass, but, at this stage it seems like Lamar isn't always mistake free in these playoff games.

Crushed it the week before against the Titans. 50 yard TD run by Lamar. Win. Week later, 101 yard TD return, -7 instead of +7. Lamar brings the best running. Stats say best running QB in history. #1 and #3 rushing yard seasons for a QB all time. It worked against the Titans the week before, this time it was a pass and not a run, and, -7.

And you can watch the game, the only game that really needs to be improved upon, and you can see what appears to be so many of the oliners marched backwards into Lamar, leaving him with a tiny pocket he can't escape from. And, sometimes the snap sails way over Lamar's head, which is rarely what you're looking for from a Center. So, fix that Center thing.

The Ravens will have a tougher game against the Packers than any NFC East team. But the Bears, Vikings and Lions don't appear to be particularly difficult. I think the Ravens can beat the Packers, but, I'll give you that one. That's 1. Last year, the Ravens lost to the Chiefs and the Titans in the regular season. The Ravens play the Chiefs again this year. Lets call that one a loss, but the Ravens can beat the Chiefs. The Steelers and Browns didn't play the Chiefs last year. This time they do. That's an extra loss.

And I don't think the Steelers are going to be better, unless they make key adds. The Ravens were 0-2 against the Steelers. I think the Ravens improve on that.

The Ravens played AFC South last year, 2 playoff teams there. Went 1-1 against those playoff teams. This year, AFC West. 1 playoff team there, and the Ravens lost to them already.

I just don't see where 2 more losses are going to come from. I'd call the Steelers v RGIII game a win this year. I'll call the Packers game a loss for the sake of argument. That's tied.

Other AFC, not division. Both years, have Chiefs and for the sake of argument, call this one a loss. 5 other games. Last year, losses to Titans and Patriots and a win over the Colts, overall 3-2. This year, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Colts, Dolphins. I'll say that since the Ravens beat the Colts last- year, that's a win this year. 4-1 at worse. I'll give Dolphins for the sake of argument, but I'd guess that the Ravens win that one. So, where are the losses, again? Chiefs, Packers, Dolphins, Steelers (1). That's 4 losses. Someone might want to give the Browns a win, despite the fact that the Ravens won both times last year. I'll say ok, for the sake of argument. 11-5, same as last year.

None of the "my fantasy team needs a good Ravens WR" arguments have ever been on point. Now, we're looking at the team as it stands now. We don't know what's going to happen, maybe the cap shrinks very small, and at the same time every NFL team must have a Ravens edger and will pay top dollar for them. It's theoretically possible that the Ravens edgers are decimated in free agency, and it'll be like the beginning of 2019, and the Ravens won't respond and the edges are terrible all season. I don't think that's going to happen though, I think they'll be able to figure out how to make it work even in this weird diminished cap year.

Pretty much, as long as the Ravens are crushing it in the run game, and Lamar is crushing it in the run game, the Ravens should continue to win enough to make the playoffs. And once the playoffs are there, well, just win the games. Lamar runs for long TD = Win. Ravens passes becoming points for the other team so far = Loss. Make the oline better so what the Ravens have been doing so successfully since mid 2018, running, running with Lamar, continues to work well enough in the regular season and works even better in the playoff, perhaps so well that the Ravens can withstand a 101 yard Int return.
    Alot of words but nothing behind them!! This team better hope nothing happens to Lamar because we are fucked!! At the end of the day if you dont develop lamar and put weapons around him i don't care how good the run game is you are going to lose against the top end teams!! If they can stop the run how do you score? Stupid post!

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Most of Lamar’s early success is due to his elite running skills combined with the fact that they caught the league by surprise.

It’s taken defenses a while to catch up. In year 1, the Chargers showed the second time aro7nd how to do it with extra DBs.

In year 2, teams still struggled with it and went too heavy trying to stop the run. Which produced the MVP and also an embarrassing loss to Tennessee in the playoffs.

This year the good teams adjusted and most of the dynamic scores were put up against the leagues Drek!

If Lamar can’t adjust the Ravens are in big trouble as the schedule is considerably tougher and we won’t be able to count on freebies from the Cowboys division to pad the W/L record.

If I’m predicting their schedule today I’m at 9-7 best case.
    So its lamars job to adjust? Why not put a decent scheme oline and weapons that have actually played the last 3 years unlike some!!
    But you are right if something happens to lamar because of a shitty oline the ravens be lucky to be .500

Blog Entries

From baltimoreravens.com :

" The Baltimore Ravens’ offense ranked dead last in passing in 2020 and could greatly benefit from adding another dynamic pass catcher to pair with wide receiver Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown and tight Mark Andrews. An additional playmaker would aid in the maturation of reigning league MVP Lamar Jackson as a passer. "

So simple, yet some don't see it that way. A Top-Notch, reliable, productive WR would open up the field for us. No more would opposing defenses be able to just concentrate on Hollywood and Andrews, and try to stuff our running game. Yes, that player may not stack uber stats because he's double-teamed, but it would free up others and would not only give LJ8 another go-to receiver, and give him more confidence as well... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

" The Baltimore Ravens’ offense ranked dead last in passing in 2020 and could greatly benefit from adding another dynamic pass catcher to pair with wide receiver Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown and tight Mark Andrews. An additional playmaker would aid in the maturation of reigning league MVP Lamar Jackson as a passer. "

So simple, yet some don't see it that way. A Top-Notch, reliable, productive WR would open up the field for us. No more would opposing defenses be able to just concentrate on Hollywood and Andrews, and try to stuff our running game. Yes, that player may not stack uber stats because he's double-teamed, but it would free up others and would not only give LJ8 another go-to receiver, and give him more confidence as well... Bc
    Exactly!

Yep. Covering three quality receivers and trying to stuff the Ravens rushing attack becomes a very difficult task for opposing defenses.

Is this the same Baltimore Sun that employs Mike Preston to write football opinions? He, who recently opined that it's time to look for Lamar Jackson's replacement.

I really don't agree with the suggestion that the Ravens passing game is hampered by teams ignoring Boykin, Sneed, Duvernay, Ricard, etc. and loading up to stop Andrews and Brown.

If they want to upgrade at Boykin's spot, I'm not objecting, but I think it is so overly simple to think that fixes the passing game. I am not even convinced it's the most pressing issue to be solved when it comes to the passing game.

I buy into the issue Harbaugh and DeCosta have told us is the primary cause of their passing woes, and that is poor pass protection on the interior of the line (and you can throw in bad snaps and dumb penalties from this unit, too).

I think back to Bills game, trailing 10-3 in the third, with the ball. They use the run to move it to their own 39

2nd & 8. Quick slant to Andrews 14 yards to the Bills 47
    1st & 10. Quick toss to Andrews no gain
    2nd & 9, Powers and Fluker beat for a sack at the 50
    3rd & 13. Send three receivers out simple routes, Lamar tucks and runs for 15 to Bills 35
    1st & 10. Bad snap from Mekari, Lamar catches one handed and Edwards tumbles for 1 to Bills 34
    2nd & 8. Lamar checks down to Snead in the flat who runs it for 8 to the Bills 26
    3rd & 1. Dive to Gus, hit in backfield, pushes the pile to 25; Lamar walks to the sideline visibly upset (looks like he could have kept the ball around right end and into the endzone?)
    1st & 10 Quick throw over blitz to Snead for nine yard catch and run to the Bills 15
    2nd & inches. Dobbins up midde for 5 to the Bills 10
    1st & goal. Lamar drops snap runs out of bounds to the Bills 9
    2nd & goal. Dobbins whiffs on blitz up middle, forcing Lamar to miss wide open Brown standing on the goalline
    3rd & goal. Brown, Snead and Andrews wide to the left. Boykin at TE on the right. Hill in for Dobbins. Lamar forces throw to Andrews with four defenders bracketing for a pick six

That series was pretty much the season, and I don't see how it would have really been fixed by upgrading over Boykin. Seems clear that Andrews and Snead were effective when the line protected, but it required quick tosses and protection still cost them a touchdown. Here is a clip the 2nd and goal play where Hollywood was open just fine and a missed block cost them their season.

https://vimeo.com/user132229521/revi...669/9d39b9dd33

Like I said, I won't be upset if they bring in another receiver. But what seems simple isn't always so simple or these guys would be be paid millions of dollars to come up with answers.

I just listened to EDC's full presser, he put me at ease. Was coy but it definitely sounds like he's going to be in on top WR's without totally showing his cards to the media

EDC has had a few misses at GM thus far but I'm damn sure glad we have him. After Harbs wound me up by getting defensive over the passing game needing help, EDC calmed me right back down. I trust him on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Is this the same Baltimore Sun that employs Mike Preston to write football opinions? He, who recently opined that it's time to look for Lamar Jackson's replacement.

I really don't agree with the suggestion that the Ravens passing game is hampered by teams ignoring Boykin, Sneed, Duvernay, Ricard, etc. and loading up to stop Andrews and Brown.

If they want to upgrade at Boykin's spot, I'm not objecting, but I think it is so overly simple to think that fixes the passing game. I am not even convinced it's the most pressing issue to be solved when it comes to the passing game.

I buy into the issue Harbaugh and DeCosta have told us is the primary cause of their passing woes, and that is poor pass protection on the interior of the line (and you can throw in bad snaps and dumb penalties from this unit, too).

I think back to Bills game, trailing 10-3 in the third, with the ball. They use the run to move it to their own 39

2nd & 8. Quick slant to Andrews 14 yards to the Bills 47
    1st & 10. Quick toss to Andrews no gain
    2nd & 9, Powers and Fluker beat for a sack at the 50
    3rd & 13. Send three receivers out simple routes, Lamar tucks and runs for 15 to Bills 35
    1st & 10. Bad snap from Mekari, Lamar catches one handed and Edwards tumbles for 1 to Bills 34
    2nd & 8. Lamar checks down to Snead in the flat who runs it for 8 to the Bills 26
    3rd & 1. Dive to Gus, hit in backfield, pushes the pile to 25; Lamar walks to the sideline visibly upset (looks like he could have kept the ball around right end and into the endzone?)
    1st & 10 Quick throw over blitz to Snead for nine yard catch and run to the Bills 15
    2nd & inches. Dobbins up midde for 5 to the Bills 10
    1st & goal. Lamar drops snap runs out of bounds to the Bills 9
    2nd & goal. Dobbins whiffs on blitz up middle, forcing Lamar to miss wide open Brown standing on the goalline
    3rd & goal. Brown, Snead and Andrews wide to the left. Boykin at TE on the right. Hill in for Dobbins. Lamar forces throw to Andrews with four defenders bracketing for a pick six

That series was pretty much the season, and I don't see how it would have really been fixed by upgrading over Boykin. Seems clear that Andrews and Snead were effective when the line protected, but it required quick tosses and protection still cost them a touchdown. Here is a clip the 2nd and goal play where Hollywood was open just fine and a missed block cost them their season.

https://vimeo.com/user132229521/revi...669/9d39b9dd33

Like I said, I won't be upset if they bring in another receiver. But what seems simple isn't always so simple or these guys would be be paid millions of dollars to come up with answers.
    Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Shas, is "baltimoreravens.com" the same as "Baltimore Sun" because that's the web-site I copied the quote from. Thanks... Bc

Shas, is "baltimoreravens.com" the same as "Baltimore Sun" because that's the web-site I copied the quote from. Thanks... Bc
    Thanks. I misread the reference. (Any time you can get a shot in on Preston is a good time, I figure).

On the same baltimoreravens.com site you referenced, Ryan Mink this week has also written ...

I do think improving the passing game should be a top focus this offseason. It's not as bad as some fans are making it out to be, but it's not good enough either. Adding a very good wide receiver would help in that effort. So would better pass protection. So would more development from Lamar Jackson and the young weapons he already has around him. I'm confident the Ravens will add a wideout or two this offseason... [but] I personally don't think the investment that one of these "No. 1" wide receivers that everybody is talking about is worth it....

The middle and right side of the offensive line did not have a good game against the Bills. The snaps were obviously their own issue, but the pass protection wasn't good either. What the Ravens will do, however, is evaluate each player and the unit over the long haul....The Ravens have not invested much in the center position since they signed Matt Birk more than a decade ago. Birk helped Baltimore win a Super Bowl, but the Ravens have gotten solid play at the position since while spending little. Three undrafted centers (Matt Skura, Mekari and Colon-Castillo) have helped Baltimore build a historically good rushing attack the past two years. But if the Ravens feel strongly enough that improving the pass protection up the middle would help the aerial attack reach another level, they could look for a Birk-like veteran. The other option would be investing a high draft pick and Ohio State's Wyatt Davis or Oklahoma's Creed Humphrey. The Ravens already have too [sic] Sooners on their offensive line and Humphrey, who projects as a likely second-round pick, has a lot to like.
    Bolding is mine.