Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    The Ravens were 4-5 with Flacco in 2018.

Boom, put Lamar in there, in a run first offense with running QBs, and the Ravens go 19-3 over the first 2 years, and win playoff game the next year. They've been top 1/4 the minute Lamar because the starter. Lamar, at QB, is a great runner, and top 1/4, is what you get with a QB who is a great runner.

And you and others are complaining.

Because the Ravens are not generic enough for you.

The Ravens should invest in the offense by spending money on the offensive line. The run game, mostly because of the running QB, Lamar, is great. The run game gets wins. The weakness of the offense is the offensive line, with 3 of the 5 positions filled by below average players and a 4th exactly average. 1 good oliner at the end of the season. Improve there. Give a vet Center Free Agent some money. Take that money out of the wide receiver budget.
    Dumbest post of the year!!

2. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    With 3 OLBs (Judon, Bowser, and Ngakoue) as UFAs, that would be a priority I'm sure.
    5* (McPhee & Ward) actually . . . Jaylon 'Inactive' aka '6th on the Depth Chart' Ferguson is the only one currently under contract — Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    5* (McPhee & Ward) actually . . . Jaylon 'Inactive' aka '6th on the Depth Chart' Ferguson is the only one currently under contract — Yikes!
    But yeah, let’s worry about WR and only WR like the rest of the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

It's all a priority. You don't completely ignore 1 spot and deal with the other. It's just how you mix it up. This year they paid franchise tag money and traded and paid more franchise tag money for 2 pass rushers and spent journeyman veteran money on Snead at WR with all the other receivers on their rookie contracts.

There is nothing wrong with paying Bowser and McPhee journeyman veteran money, drafting at least one if not 2 pass rushers and spending that franchise level cap amount on a free agent wide receiver.

Both spots have to get addressed. One isn't completely ignored to satisfy the other. It's all about the mix of available resources to fill all the holes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    The Ravens were 4-5 with Flacco in 2018.

Boom, put Lamar in there, in a run first offense with running QBs, and the Ravens go 19-3 over the first 2 years, and win playoff game the next year. They've been top 1/4 the minute Lamar because the starter. Lamar, at QB, is a great runner, and top 1/4, is what you get with a QB who is a great runner.

And you and others are complaining.

Because the Ravens are not generic enough for you.

The Ravens should invest in the offense by spending money on the offensive line. The run game, mostly because of the running QB, Lamar, is great. The run game gets wins. The weakness of the offense is the offensive line, with 3 of the 5 positions filled by below average players and a 4th exactly average. 1 good oliner at the end of the season. Improve there. Give a vet Center Free Agent some money. Take that money out of the wide receiver budget.
    Most of Lamar’s early success is due to his elite running skills combined with the fact that they caught the league by surprise.

It’s taken defenses a while to catch up. In year 1, the Chargers showed the second time aro7nd how to do it with extra DBs.

In year 2, teams still struggled with it and went too heavy trying to stop the run. Which produced the MVP and also an embarrassing loss to Tennessee in the playoffs.

This year the good teams adjusted and most of the dynamic scores were put up against the leagues Drek!

If Lamar can’t adjust the Ravens are in big trouble as the schedule is considerably tougher and we won’t be able to count on freebies from the Cowboys division to pad the W/L record.

If I’m predicting their schedule today I’m at 9-7 best case.

I agree. No need to pay 15 to 20 million per year for a wideout when he stat line will read 55 catches, 700 yards, and 6 TDs. Would be a waste of money. Just wouldn't make sense.

7. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by jamb17 View Post
    Dumbest post of the year!!
    Maybe you should be a fan of a team with a pocket passer?

The Ravens clearly need upgrades at the oline. The Ravens know this. The press conferences support my position. No one except a handful of people who are as loud as me, and collectively louder, on this board, want to change this team to a passing team.

The Ravens can and should be a team that has no weaknesses in the run game. Even with weaknesses on the oline, the Ravens are able to get wins from having the best run game, due primarily to Lamar's top running at the QB position. The RBs are good as well, and the oline was below average this year, due in part to Stanley's injury, but also the retirement of Yanda, and bad play from the Center spot, and mediocre play by Bozeman, who was the 2nd best oliner after Stanley was hurt. Brown was the best.

That run game, already the best in the NFL, gets supercharged by an oline which is not below average, but is legit top 1/4, will let the Ravens get to the playoffs again, will get them more wins in the playoffs.

Passing just isn't critical, the run game is the best but it's clear that it can be better, good enough to largely ignore the big paychecks given to WRs that basic fans can recognize, just by adding top talent, and I'd include veteran NFL center with a good PFF to that.

8. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Most of Lamar’s early success is due to his elite running skills combined with the fact that they caught the league by surprise.

It’s taken defenses a while to catch up. In year 1, the Chargers showed the second time aro7nd how to do it with extra DBs.

In year 2, teams still struggled with it and went too heavy trying to stop the run. Which produced the MVP and also an embarrassing loss to Tennessee in the playoffs.

This year the good teams adjusted and most of the dynamic scores were put up against the leagues Drek!

If Lamar can’t adjust the Ravens are in big trouble as the schedule is considerably tougher and we won’t be able to count on freebies from the Cowboys division to pad the W/L record.

What team was #1 in point differential in the regular season this year? Points scored minus points against?

Ravens.
    o
    So you can pretty much shove it with your analysis. It's not right. You want passes like other teams have passes. "I like passes, all the other teams have passes, and famous expensive receivers. I want to have Ravens receivers on my fantasy teams and if mean ol Greg Roman doesn't have Lamar throwing the ball more, the Ravens receivers won't get enough fantasy points for my fantasy team to win."

Nope, the Ravens had the best point differential. Fix the oline, make it close to dominant. Important to keep strong edge, too.

The Ravens had 2 specific losses in the last 2 years that were relevant. The playoff losses. And what happened in both of those games were errors in the pass game which caused the loss. 2 Ints and a sack/fumble were huge in the Titans loss, and that 101 yard Int return for a TD was a probable 14 point swing against the Bills.

Put differently, screwing up in the pass game caused the Ravens to lose both games. The solution to screwed up passing - is it more passing or less passing? Less passing, especially when you're the #1 rushing team in the NFL (again). If Lamar can be 100% mistake free, or 100% costly mistake free, then, fine, pass, but, at this stage it seems like Lamar isn't always mistake free in these playoff games.

Crushed it the week before against the Titans. 50 yard TD run by Lamar. Win. Week later, 101 yard TD return, -7 instead of +7. Lamar brings the best running. Stats say best running QB in history. #1 and #3 rushing yard seasons for a QB all time. It worked against the Titans the week before, this time it was a pass and not a run, and, -7.

And you can watch the game, the only game that really needs to be improved upon, and you can see what appears to be so many of the oliners marched backwards into Lamar, leaving him with a tiny pocket he can't escape from. And, sometimes the snap sails way over Lamar's head, which is rarely what you're looking for from a Center. So, fix that Center thing.

The Ravens will have a tougher game against the Packers than any NFC East team. But the Bears, Vikings and Lions don't appear to be particularly difficult. I think the Ravens can beat the Packers, but, I'll give you that one. That's 1. Last year, the Ravens lost to the Chiefs and the Titans in the regular season. The Ravens play the Chiefs again this year. Lets call that one a loss, but the Ravens can beat the Chiefs. The Steelers and Browns didn't play the Chiefs last year. This time they do. That's an extra loss.

And I don't think the Steelers are going to be better, unless they make key adds. The Ravens were 0-2 against the Steelers. I think the Ravens improve on that.

The Ravens played AFC South last year, 2 playoff teams there. Went 1-1 against those playoff teams. This year, AFC West. 1 playoff team there, and the Ravens lost to them already.

I just don't see where 2 more losses are going to come from. I'd call the Steelers v RGIII game a win this year. I'll call the Packers game a loss for the sake of argument. That's tied.

Other AFC, not division. Both years, have Chiefs and for the sake of argument, call this one a loss. 5 other games. Last year, losses to Titans and Patriots and a win over the Colts, overall 3-2. This year, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Colts, Dolphins. I'll say that since the Ravens beat the Colts last- year, that's a win this year. 4-1 at worse. I'll give Dolphins for the sake of argument, but I'd guess that the Ravens win that one. So, where are the losses, again? Chiefs, Packers, Dolphins, Steelers (1). That's 4 losses. Someone might want to give the Browns a win, despite the fact that the Ravens won both times last year. I'll say ok, for the sake of argument. 11-5, same as last year.

None of the "my fantasy team needs a good Ravens WR" arguments have ever been on point. Now, we're looking at the team as it stands now. We don't know what's going to happen, maybe the cap shrinks very small, and at the same time every NFL team must have a Ravens edger and will pay top dollar for them. It's theoretically possible that the Ravens edgers are decimated in free agency, and it'll be like the beginning of 2019, and the Ravens won't respond and the edges are terrible all season. I don't think that's going to happen though, I think they'll be able to figure out how to make it work even in this weird diminished cap year.

Pretty much, as long as the Ravens are crushing it in the run game, and Lamar is crushing it in the run game, the Ravens should continue to win enough to make the playoffs. And once the playoffs are there, well, just win the games. Lamar runs for long TD = Win. Ravens passes becoming points for the other team so far = Loss. Make the oline better so what the Ravens have been doing so successfully since mid 2018, running, running with Lamar, continues to work well enough in the regular season and works even better in the playoff, perhaps so well that the Ravens can withstand a 101 yard Int return.

We can easily beat bad teams that in years past we played down to their level. We struggle against teams with either very good defenses or great offenses. Steelers as the first example and KC as the second. But we are getting stuck in the same rut GB is. If the QB does not play a perfect game we struggle to win. If we fall behind after halftime we struggle to win. We play great with a lead but poorly when trailing.

Right now we are not explosive enough to beat either a great D or great O. The question is can we change into anything other than a good team at grinding out a game. Say what you want about Joe he could put up points in big games. He could score a couple TD against the Pats in big games. LJ so far has not and it is scheme limited more so than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    We can easily beat bad teams that in years past we played down to their level. We struggle against teams with either very good defenses or great offenses. Steelers as the first example and KC as the second. But we are getting stuck in the same rut GB is. If the QB does not play a perfect game we struggle to win. If we fall behind after halftime we struggle to win. We play great with a lead but poorly when trailing.

Right now we are not explosive enough to beat either a great D or great O. The question is can we change into anything other than a good team at grinding out a game. Say what you want about Joe he could put up points in big games. He could score a couple TD against the Pats in big games. LJ so far has not and it is scheme limited more so than talent.
    Playoff failures aside, They've beaten plenty of "good teams" in the years past.

Obviously 2019 was a great year. 5-1 against playoff teams in the regular season.

Obviously 2020 wasn't as good but still pretty good. 3-3 against playoff teams. (excluding the COVID bowl against Pittsburgh b/c Lamar didn't play).

Since Lamar took over they're 9-5 against playoff opponents. 64% winning percentage. Outside of KC, I would wager no team has a better record against playoff teams than Baltimore since Lamar started in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post

🤣🤣🤣 you dudes kill me!! So Lamar is supposed to block throw run and catch ny himself wow!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamb17 View Post
    ������ you dudes kill me!! So Lamar is supposed to block throw run and catch ny himself wow!!!
    Then he really would be Superman