Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112
  1. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by jamb17 View Post
    Dude you and John are living in the 40s with this offense! What happens when you come acrossed a high powered offense? You get blown out!! Ravens been running the same scheme since 1999!!
    The Ravens have been to the playoffs every year w/ Lamar as the starter.

The Ravens had the largest point differential (points for minus points against) in the NFL this past year.

Both the Ravens offense and the Ravens defense are doing something right.

The oline was below average per PFF. After Stanley hurt, Brown was good, Bozeman ok, everyone else on the oline, below average, some were bad. Improve that.

The offense + defense did give the biggest point differential. The oline improves, Lamar has great games over and over in the playoffs, the Ravens win over and over. These playoff teams are a little better than the average team the Ravens play. The Ravens have to win every playoff game to win the Super Bowl. Not easy to do.

2. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Thanks. I misread the reference. (Any time you can get a shot in on Preston is a good time, I figure).

On the same baltimoreravens.com site you referenced, Ryan Mink this week has also written ...

Bolding is mine.
    "Three undrafted centers (Matt Skura, Mekari and Colon-Castillo) have helped Baltimore build a historically good rushing attack the past two years."

Other ways to put that include "Because Lamar Jackson is a great running QB, and because Lamar ran a lot, and because running QBs are what you do to get great running results, the Ravens have built a historically good rushing attack, despite 3 undrafted Centers.

It's not clear at this point how much credit should be given to these Centers and to other parts of the oline, when it was basically Lamar doing all this. Yes, a good oline, good blocking plays, etc are definitely important, but it's not clear exactly how good the oline was in all of this. Stanley, Yanda and Brown are or were good, and the results were good. But Lamar is excellent, top of the line at running.

3. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Is this the same Baltimore Sun that employs Mike Preston to write football opinions? He, who recently opined that it's time to look for Lamar Jackson's replacement.

I really don't agree with the suggestion that the Ravens passing game is hampered by teams ignoring Boykin, Sneed, Duvernay, Ricard, etc. and loading up to stop Andrews and Brown.

If they want to upgrade at Boykin's spot, I'm not objecting, but I think it is so overly simple to think that fixes the passing game. I am not even convinced it's the most pressing issue to be solved when it comes to the passing game.

I buy into the issue Harbaugh and DeCosta have told us is the primary cause of their passing woes, and that is poor pass protection on the interior of the line (and you can throw in bad snaps and dumb penalties from this unit, too).

I think back to Bills game, trailing 10-3 in the third, with the ball. They use the run to move it to their own 39

2nd & 8. Quick slant to Andrews 14 yards to the Bills 47
    1st & 10. Quick toss to Andrews no gain
    2nd & 9, Powers and Fluker beat for a sack at the 50
    3rd & 13. Send three receivers out simple routes, Lamar tucks and runs for 15 to Bills 35
    1st & 10. Bad snap from Mekari, Lamar catches one handed and Edwards tumbles for 1 to Bills 34
    2nd & 8. Lamar checks down to Snead in the flat who runs it for 8 to the Bills 26
    3rd & 1. Dive to Gus, hit in backfield, pushes the pile to 25; Lamar walks to the sideline visibly upset (looks like he could have kept the ball around right end and into the endzone?)
    1st & 10 Quick throw over blitz to Snead for nine yard catch and run to the Bills 15
    2nd & inches. Dobbins up midde for 5 to the Bills 10
    1st & goal. Lamar drops snap runs out of bounds to the Bills 9
    2nd & goal. Dobbins whiffs on blitz up middle, forcing Lamar to miss wide open Brown standing on the goalline
    3rd & goal. Brown, Snead and Andrews wide to the left. Boykin at TE on the right. Hill in for Dobbins. Lamar forces throw to Andrews with four defenders bracketing for a pick six

That series was pretty much the season, and I don't see how it would have really been fixed by upgrading over Boykin. Seems clear that Andrews and Snead were effective when the line protected, but it required quick tosses and protection still cost them a touchdown. Here is a clip the 2nd and goal play where Hollywood was open just fine and a missed block cost them their season.

https://vimeo.com/user132229521/revi...669/9d39b9dd33

Like I said, I won't be upset if they bring in another receiver. But what seems simple isn't always so simple or these guys would be be paid millions of dollars to come up with answers.

I'm much in favor of drilling down to the finest specifics in order to determine where the problem was.

Basically, Lamar throws an interception, and it turns out to have the worst possible outcome. Maybe the offense needs to practice tackling. You point to a different play, Dobbins missing a block.

My argument is that, if the oline is improved through the "get a great one to replace the worst one" method, and/or other methods, all the Ravens plays, run or pass, will work a little better. Maybe the hole is a little wider on a run or maybe the pocket doesn't collapse quite as quickly, or at all, on a pass play. Maybe the snap goes to Lamar every single time, and never sails over his head.

4. Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    From baltimoreravens.com :

" The Baltimore Ravens’ offense ranked dead last in passing in 2020 and could greatly benefit from adding another dynamic pass catcher to pair with wide receiver Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown and tight Mark Andrews. An additional playmaker would aid in the maturation of reigning league MVP Lamar Jackson as a passer. "

So simple, yet some don't see it that way. A Top-Notch, reliable, productive WR would open up the field for us. No more would opposing defenses be able to just concentrate on Hollywood and Andrews, and try to stuff our running game. Yes, that player may not stack uber stats because he's double-teamed, but it would free up others and would not only give LJ8 another go-to receiver, and give him more confidence as well... Bc
    The Ravens were dead last in passing YARDS. Why? because they didn't throw much. Why? because they're so good at running.

Rushing yards per carry - 5.5 - #1 in the NFL
    Net yards passing per attempt - 6.3 - #21 in the NFL. Not great, below average, but not dead last.

baltimoreravens.com wrote that? dead last in passing? Looking at the data and being unable to process it correctly, or intentionally twisting the facts to make the situation look worse than it actually was? And this is the official site?

Blog Entries

Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    The Ravens were dead last in passing YARDS. Why? because they didn't throw much. Why? because they're so good at running.

Rushing yards per carry - 5.5 - #1 in the NFL
    Net yards passing per attempt - 6.3 - #21 in the NFL. Not great, below average, but not dead last.

baltimoreravens.com wrote that? dead last in passing? Looking at the data and being unable to process it correctly, or intentionally twisting the facts to make the situation look worse than it actually was? And this is the official site?
    The problem is that plenty of media and fans run with and parrot these empty stat sound bites.

Beware of people spewing raw counting stats as meaningful the Ravens were last passing yards for the past 2 seasons. 1 season was an MVP season where the QB led the league in passing and was one of the top in passing efficiency etc.....Clearly not equal seasons.
    Goes to show how empty and meaningless raw counting stats like “pass yards” really are.

Re: Paying a receiver top money might not be a great idea

Saying the Ravens were last in passing yards is a bit like saying the winner of the Indy 500 got bad fuel mileage.

A bit of hyperbole, I know, but the point is that winning games is the goal, and the idea that their style of play is wildly successful in the regular season but can't win in the playoffs is just dumb.