Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: First thoughts on offense

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Roman's offense went to three straight NFC conf championships in 2011-13, winning one.

Came within a foot of snatching the SB away from us.

Empirical evidence that it CAN win and HAS won in the playoffs.
    i get that, but we are pointing to very clear, specific deficiencies that are simply not being addressed. you know i've been complaining about playcalls that send two receivers to the same area over in the Filmstudy thread, and no less than Kurt Warner LIT HIM UP for that in his breakdown of the Titans game. it's not that i think GRo hasn't done a great job with Lamar in our rushing attack, but Lamar wants to be a pocket passer, he could be our franchise QB for the next 15 years if he can develop as a pocket passer, and there's nothing i've seen from GRo's time in buffalo, SF, or here that makes me believe he is going to do anything to improve his passing scheme. they are not the right fit. he's not the right fit for this team. Lamar is the future of the Ravens. sure, we can ride out his legs for the next couple years, probably have continued success in terms of making the playoffs. or we could build this thing up for the long haul. if GRo had shown a willingness at any point to really grow in terms of his passing concepts i'd be all for giving him another year, but given how little it's changed while actual experts are repeatedly saying "this is a dumb pass play" makes me think he's not gonna change.

Win the MVP? Lead the league in scoring?

Didn't DeCosta tell us at his first press conference that they were going to do that? Build the offense thru the draft and "get WRs to grow with Lamar"? Maybe we should have expected some growing pains. Maybe last year's instantaneous & dramatic success fooled us.

By the way, I've been quoting that for two years. But, full disclosure, last week I pulled up the transcript of DeCosta's opening presser off the Ravens website, and I didn't find that language in there. I know I got it from somewhere, though.
    Would you consider Duvernay having growing pains? Do you honestly believe Roman is going to develop Boykin or Duvernay or Proche?

Please tell me with a straight face how you see Roman accomplishing this with 16 passes a week?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Harbaugh tomorrow EDC Thursday
    Amend - Decosta's presser is next Monday 1/25 per Ravens website

4. Re: First thoughts on offense

Win the MVP? Lead the league in scoring?
    Success doesn't always have staying power. Certain coordinator systems historically regress over time, as Romans have shown to do. When getting a new set of skill players like he had with Lamar & Co, his old system thrived again, but like his past teams, there was nowhere to go but down. It's kind of like a Wade Phillips defense, fantastic short term option, but bad in the long run.

I'd like to see Lamar get a new coordinator just so the league has no idea what to expect out of him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jamb17 View Post
    #1 rushing offense #32 passing offense
    Says it all!!
    Think about how crazy this is. So you get to the playoff, teams are selling out to stop the run and yet we cant make plays in the passing game. Shows how weak he is at putting together a competent passing game.

6. Re: First thoughts on offense

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Think about how crazy this is. So you get to the playoff, teams are selling out to stop the run and yet we cant make plays in the passing game. Shows how weak he is at putting together a competent passing game.
    I suggest you watch JT O'Sullivan's youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_FJwMOB4U) on this game to see that while Roman is part of the problem, he is not the problem. Or don't and continue to live in ignorance, your choice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I suggest you watch JT O'Sullivan's youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_FJwMOB4U) on this game to see that while Roman is part of the problem, he is not the problem. Or don't and continue to live in ignorance, your choice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    OC great job on Film Study this week! That being said, can you defend the lack of hot routes or checkdowns against the blitz last weekend? When does Roman help Lamar as a pocket passer? Where are the layups to build confidence? Where is the uptempo approach that he only used against Indy? Does that sound like a sound offensive coordinator in the NFL in 2021?

Of course Lamar must play better (a LOT better) and we need receivers (and maybe some reps to develop our young wrs?) and competent offensive line play instead of the trash that Ken outlines in his notes this week.

Roman needs a lobotomy from a passing perspective but since that's obviously not happening, I think we all need to get comfortable with Lamar never fully developing into a pocket passer and always being a lightweight in January.

Resting on our laurels on the strength of this historic "juggernaut" offense rings extremely hollow this week/offseason.
    Last edited by Jam31; 01-20-2021 at 01:13 PM.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

why didnt GRo spread out the Bills if OL was so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    This team's approach to building an offense is basically relying on young unproven players to get good at the same time and that is such a naïve way of thinking.
    Nailed it right here

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    why didnt GRo spread out the Bills if OL was so bad?
    why didn't he put Lamar under center when the snaps started going all over the place two months ago? because they run EVERYTHING out of pistol instead of shotgun or under center and cannot deviate from that, no matter how much the circumstance demands it.

Last season with Yanda, a consistent OL lineup, and better overall pass pro, LJ had success operating empty sets from pistol. this season he did not. if he were set up another 5 yards back in shotgun like everyone else does, he might've had enough extra time to make it work, but they couldn't do that because (presumably) the OC never had them practice shotgun.

along those same lines, when the centers started taking a "horseshoes and hand grenades" approach to snapping the ball, why didn't they move LJ under center? because they couldn't. because basically the only time he's under center they are either running a QB sneak or faking a QB sneak. 31 other teams were better equipped to handle bad snaps than the Ravens, and while it wasn't the only thing wrong, i think we can all pretty much agree that a very foreseeable bad snap is what effectively ended any chance the Ravens had of beating Buffalo.

what GRo did for the run game is great. what he did that was record-setting was great. we dropped a 400 yard rushing game on a division rival. it's great when it's on. but it is so incredibly limited that we lose games because of it.

Roman's offense went to three straight NFC conf championships in 2011-13, winning one.

Came within a foot of snatching the SB away from us.

Empirical evidence that it CAN win and HAS won in the playoffs.

2012 Superbowl - do you remember?

Roman - abandons his running game at the end - and runs the same failed pass play three times in a row.

If he had stayed with the run with Kapernick HE WOULD HAVE WON THE GAME!

The issue has and always been our oline rather then scheme. We couldn't run the football and we couldn't pass protect either.

That is on Decosta. I know people want to lay into lamar and roman that is not to say they are blameless either but our oline put us in awful positions all game whether it be sacks or throwing the ball ten feet over lamars head. They got zero push in the run game. Got destroyed in pass protection.

Would I like to have seen more PA? Hell yes but you have to be able to run the football. We couldn't and the truth of the matter is the Bills weren't even selling out to stop the run.