Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: First thoughts on offense

The Ravens need to pass more on first downs, and they need to work in more schemed high percentage throws. It's fine when they are ripping off 5-6+ yard runs consistently on first down. But then they play a team like Buffalo who can match up and force consistent 2nd/3rd and longs, the offense dies out because it relies on Lamar having to make a lower percentage pass to move the chains.

Talent wise, adding a stud WR like arob and o-line through FA or the draft will go a long way. Also, we need to be drafting skill players as well.

BTW, Lamar on first downs this season: 68.66% comp 1102 yds 4 td 0 int 118.4 qb rating

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Harbs won't be fired. They'll just move on from Lamar when they realize the project failed.
    They might not renew his contract, forced into retirement. stubborn as a mule sometimes smh

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, John Harbaugh has zero experience in the NFL running an offense or defense. He is the only current NFL head coach who was hired based on his experience as a special teams coordinator (eight years with the Eagles). OF COURSE he has no plans to change or add to the offense. He is not qualified to gameplan offensively or defensively. ALL of his success as a head coach is attributed to his coaching staff. Why do you think he doesn’t call his own offensive plays on the sideline? I have always had the suspicion that he relied on the help of others in building his staff.

Steve Bisciotti apparently trusts so heavily in managerial stability to the detriment of the organization moving forward. My conjecture is that John, in turn, will not interfere with Roman’s overall handling of the offense for the same reason. With the notable exception of the playoffs, Greg Roman has had major success on the field with both the Ravens and the Forty-Niners. He represents offensive stability and is very popular with the fans.

HOWEVER, in three consecutive postseasons, Roman’s offense has been neutralized and Lamar has been frustrated (and blamed) accordingly. The negative pattern was clear a year ago. The main problem is a lack of accountability. Justified criticism of Harbaugh and now of Roman is not ‘sticking’. Apparently in Bisciotti’s view, both are ‘Teflon’ (immune to criticism).

In my honest opinion, the most probable solution is for Roman to filter the criticism by quietly consulting expertise to overhaul his passing routes/schemes. We all would be extremely disappointed and appalled if his ego is too large to enable much needed improvement from within.

CCx
    Thats, why their continuity or stability lands them in the positions of lost playoff games missing the playoffs or missed draft picks, or bad coaching hires. mm. cam cameron or not even firing them right away

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Center, WTF!

Center, OMFG. I am over “experiments” at C. I want a guy who started full-time at center for a P5 team. Yes, I know that describes Bradley Bozeman, but a draftee would be fine too.

WTF Indeed!! Did Skura and/or Mekari injure a hand? develop the yips like a Chuck Knoblauch or Mackey Sasser? cannot grip the ball in the cold? are the centers' blocks so complicated that they lose concentration on what should be at this point iun the life of a true NFL Center an autonomic reflex!
    The last true NFL center to suit up for the Ravens was Matt Birk, Since then- band aids or part-timers. Remember Gino Gradkowski? sorry about making you vomit in the mouth. Get some water. Ryan Jensen had a decent and [appropriately Ravenesque Red-Assed] turn once his Narcolepsy was treated. Seems to suit the likes of Tom Brady, Just sayin'... so there's one that prolly got away under the dime-a-dozen interior OL philosophy. Drafting a center before the 4th Rd needs consideration, unless they want to try Ricard there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post

WTF Indeed!! Did Skura and/or Mekari injure a hand? develop the yips like a Chuck Knoblauch or Mackey Sasser? cannot grip the ball in the cold? are the centers' blocks so complicated that they lose concentration on what should be at this point iun the life of a true NFL Center an autonomic reflex!
    The last true NFL center to suit up for the Ravens was Matt Birk, Since then- band aids or part-timers. Remember Gino Gradkowski? sorry about making you vomit in the mouth. Get some water. Ryan Jensen had a decent and [appropriately Ravenesque Red-Assed] turn once his Narcolepsy was treated. Seems to suit the likes of Tom Brady, Just sayin'... so there's one that prolly got away under the dime-a-dozen interior OL philosophy. Drafting a center before the 4th Rd needs consideration, unless they want to try Ricard there
    Ryan Jensen is the only good C we've had since Birk. Wish we could have found a way to keep Jensen, he'd fit in well with Gros scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    2012 Superbowl - do you remember?

Roman - abandons his running game at the end - and runs the same failed pass play three times in a row.

If he had stayed with the run with Kapernick HE WOULD HAVE WON THE GAME!
    Yeah I remember. They scored 23 points in something like 12 or 14 mins of game time to get back into it after the lights came back on.

They had a QB run for Kaep drawn up that would have won the game for them on 2nd or 3rd down. But they didn't get the play call in on time and had to burn a timeout. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by jamb17 View Post
    Harbs just said he has no plan on changing or really adding to the offense. So get ready for another failed season!
    Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    That's how I read the press conference too.
    Interesting.

That's not quite how I took that. Although I did gather that we were not going to morph into the throw-it-forty-times-a-game Steelers this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    This has much less to do with arcane ratings and much more to do with having a balanced offense... Roman hasn't shown he can do that.
    "Balanced"?

Ravens play-calling 2020
    Dropbacks Rushes
    Attempts 406 Attempts 555
    Sacks 32 (Scrambles) 50
    Scrambles 50
    total 488 net 505
    49.1% 50.9%

You're out of your mind. No OC in the league calls as "balanced" a game as Roman does, or has been as obsessively commited to "balance" over the course of his career.

You literally said the single most incorrect thing about Roman that anyone could possibly say.

"Balanced"?

Ravens play-calling 2020
    Dropbacks Rushes
    Attempts 406 Attempts 555
    Sacks 32 (Scrambles) 50
    Scrambles 50
    total 488 net 505
    49.1% 50.9%

You're out of your mind. No OC in the league calls as "balanced" a game as Roman does, or has been as obsessively commited to "balance" over the course of his career.

You literally said the single most incorrect thing about Roman that anyone could possibly say.
    But Jim, Roman is not getting production out of the 49.1% passing. Furthermore, the timing of his pass-play calls is frustrating. Remember how the KC game began? Power running all the way down into the red zone. Then, with a 2nd and 3, two incomplete passes and settle for a FG. The game was never the same after that early disappointment.

But Jim, Roman is not getting production out of the 49.1% passing.
    Oh I'm not disputing there were issues with the passing game. But dude was specifically calling out balance. That is literally the one thing you absolutely cannot fault Roman for. Roman has been by far the most balanced play-caller in the league, for years.

Furthermore, the timing of his pass-play calls is frustrating. Remember how the KC game began? Power running all the way down into the red zone. Then, with a 2nd and 3, two incomplete passes and settle for a FG. The game was never the same after that early disappointment.
    I didn't key-in on that during the game, but I remember OC pointing that out right after.

I dunno how fair it is to hyper-focus on stuff like that -- I mean that literally, I don't know. You call a bunch of plays to move the ball and to set up other plays. If the "other" plays dont work, is it because you're a fuck-up? Or did the other team just make a play? Or was there some mistake in execution?

We'd be just as as critical if Roman had plunged the ball into the line 3 times and gone nowhere -- No imagination! Stupid and stubborn! Let the MVP throw the ball one time! -- which is as likely as anything else.

I have no idea how to fairly approach critiquing the play caller. Literally no idea at all.

Blog Entries

Interesting.

That's not quite how I took that. Although I did gather that we were not going to morph into the throw-it-forty-times-a-game Steelers this offseason.
    See my sig

12. Re: First thoughts on offense

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    See my sig
    404 Error: Sig Not Found