Re: First thoughts on offense

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    404 Error: Sig Not Found
    LOL
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I do remember, and that's not what happened.

• We were balanced at 13 runs & 12 passes until about the 2-min mark of the first half.
    • We then ran a 13-play 2-min drill down 14 to close out the first half, all passes, which distorts the play-calling stats.
    • Our first drive out of halftime we were perfectly balanced with 7 runs & 7 passes.
    • Lamar lost a fumble on the first play of the next drive.
    • When we got the ball back we were down 28-6 with only 19 mins of football left to play.

13 of Lamar's pass attempts came in the 2-min drill at the end of the first half.
    35 of them came in the last 20 mins of the game down 3 scores.

Maybe you should try to remember that game a little better.
    Not that I don’t understand where Jim is coming from, but I feel like we’ve all had this conversation before.

Some here, on both sides of the coin, seem to be looking at the sheer vacuum numbers, in order to determine whether or not Roman panicked in that game. That would be more understandable in a s discussion about repetition.

However, what seemed very noticeable is that, if I'm not mistaken, they threw out of the spread (Either that or out of the spread on first down), or threw on first down period, at a much higher percentage than any game this season. I mean, it wasn’t close by the end of the game, and it was already headed in that direction, before the drive to end the first half.

Going that far away from what you normally do, that early in a game is panicking.

I definitely remember us having this conversation, even if I'm groggy on the specific detail of it.

Maybe, I'll try to find the thread.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 01-23-2021 at 03:12 PM.

3. Re: First thoughts on offense

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Not that I don’t understand where Jim is coming from, but I feel like we’ve all had this conversation before.

Some here, on both sides of the coin, seem to be looking at the sheer vacuum numbers, in order to determine whether or not Roman panicked in that game. That would be more understandable in a s discussion about repetition.

However, what seemed very noticeable is that, if I'm not mistaken, they threw out of the spread (Either that or out of the spread on first down), or threw on first down period, at a much higher percentage than any game this season. I mean, it wasn’t close by the end of the game, and it was already headed in that direction, before the drive to end the first half.

Going that far away from what you normally do, that early in a game is panicking.

I definitely remember us having this conversation, even if I'm groggy on the specific detail of it.

Maybe, I'll try to find the thread.
    Not about to dig up anything I did on empty or try to re-calculate it today.

By game run/dropback breakdown of first down plays in the first half (final 2 mins of Q2 excluded). Pass attempts, sacks, and scrambles are considered dropbacks. 16 plays excluded (14 plays nullified by penalty, 2 fumbled exchanges).

date plays runs dropbacks RunPer
    all

If limited to 1st&10 only (all first down plays in the first 28 mins of the playoff game were 1st&10)
    date plays runs dropbacks RunPer
    all
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

4. Re: First thoughts on offense

The results on 1st down dropbacks were certainly trash:

type Snaps Yards YPP Com TD INT Suc SRate
    pass
    scramble
    run
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Thank you for that. It was definitely out of empty then. I remember you and I discussing it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I haven't found the exact conversation yet, but I found some discussions by posters, surrounding it. It followed this same pattern. First, the feeling was that Roman panicked and the focus by some was on the sheer passing attempts. Then, the defense came from others about the two minute and so forth. The issue was not only that throwing on first wasn't working for them, but that they were going empty on first at a much, much higher percentage in that game, compared to any other game that season. Before we even get into that two minute drive. That's why fans in the stands were looking at it like, 'Wait a minute, this isn't what we do'. And it happened so much more than normal, that it felt like we went empty on first in that game more than the entire season combined, but of course that was hyperbole. And, if I'm not mistaken, it started as soon as they went down 14-0.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 01-24-2021 at 12:50 AM.

I do remember, and that's not what happened.

• We were balanced at 13 runs & 12 passes until about the 2-min mark of the first half.
    • We then ran a 13-play 2-min drill down 14 to close out the first half, all passes, which distorts the play-calling stats.
    • Our first drive out of halftime we were perfectly balanced with 7 runs & 7 passes.
    • Lamar lost a fumble on the first play of the next drive.
    • When we got the ball back we were down 28-6 with only 19 mins of football left to play.

13 of Lamar's pass attempts came in the 2-min drill at the end of the first half.
    35 of them came in the last 20 mins of the game down 3 scores.

Maybe you should try to remember that game a little better.
    I remember the game fine. We got down 14-0 and Roman abandoned what we'd done all year. Ingram and Edwards had a combined nine carries for the game. Nine. Our passing game all year had been predicated on success running the ball until we got close to or into the red zone where Lamar was very effective passing. Roman completely left that behind and played like he had Brady or Brees back there chucking it around the field. Roman's Ravens resume, however, is now more than just that game. It encompasses three playoff games where we've averaged 11.67 PPG. There's no getting around that statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Roman completely left that behind and played like he had Brady or Brees back there chucking it around the field.
    So your theory is that a team should run the ball in the 2-min drill? Or down 3 TDs in the 4th quarter?

I dunno, man. Doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Roman's Ravens resume, however, is now more than just that game.
    That's true. Roman's Ravens resume now consists of two full seasons, where we were #1 in the league in scoring, and 7th in scoring.

In one of the seasons we were first in offensive DVOA; and in the other we were 11th in offensive DVOA despite losing our All-Pro LT and our #1 TE (by snaps) to injury, and losing our QB for 1 game & a few weeks of practice (+ a memorable quarter) to covid, and having the 3 right-side spots on the OL scrambled by injury & bad performance (including wild snaps!).

11 ppg in playoff lmao

10. Re: First thoughts on offense

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    I was just gonna post that!

Well, here it is embedded:

Edgar Allen on design and execution of some plays

He says he's going to look at 7 or 8 plays; actually gets thru 6.

First two plays (Houston wk 2). Boykin WIDE open for TDs both times (completely blown coverage on the 2nd one). Play #2 at about 2:15 Edgar talks about the freedom given Mark Andrews to freelance. Andrews not showing awareness of routes behind him or around him. Here he sees opening and sits, causes clog-up with 3 pass-catchers in same spot of the field. Edgar says you see this on tape 2 or 3 times per game.

Play #3 (3:58 - v Titans). Nice play design (WR picks on both sides of the field), well executed, pass-catcher schemed open -- and Lamar hesitates, doesn't throw it. Comes off the open Dez to the left for some reason – maybe that was just a look-off? – and moves to the open Andrews on the right, but then pulls the ball down and takes the sack. Pressure *WAS* there, but to me Lamar's timer looked broken. It went off a half-second early. There was plenty of time to deliver that ball, if Lamar had bene deisive.

Play #4 (5:02 - Titans) Good design, INC. Edgar puts this on Andrews for slanting his route wrong, getting depth when he should have been flat. Oberves that the throw is out on-time and to space. I think Lamar's throw just dies. The ball is such a duck that I wonder if the LB #54 got a paw on it, causing it to tumble and die.

Play #5 (6:27 - Bills pick 6) Edgar observes the back corner to the right is unthreatened. He's right. If the WR's route had taken him to the corner, it would be that much less clutter where the INT was. Also criticizes Snead on the play. Is there a tendency for WRs to start to loaf because they just know Lamar is not looking to them?

Play #6 (8:18 - @Titans) Nice play-call, bad throw by Lamar. Edgar underlines that you just have to complete that ball.

I was just gonna post that!

Well, here it is embedded:

Edgar Allen on design and execution of some plays
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDWMOKngJ30

He says he's going to look at 7 or 8 plays; actually gets thru 6.

First two plays (Houston wk 2).
    I think the second play above, at 1:53, is a very similar play-design to the one in this tweet:

XandOJunkie
    @Spread_it_Out
    4:43 PM · Jan 7, 2021
    https://twitter.com/Spread_it_Out/st...97817744842756
    No matter whose film I'm watching, this play at some point seemingly always comes up. Inevitably someone seems to always get open.
    Move the H in the diagram from the slot to the backfield (Ingram), and move the F from the diagram and put him in trips right (Snead).

Now you got your X at the left going long, you got your mesh underneath – in this case, Ingram out of the backfield is running the left-to-right mesh. Snead's route on the right is not exactly the same as from the diagram, but it's still a deep concept, just inside the hash rather than outside. It looks like Andrews causes the congestion on this play. Just changes his mind mid-play about where he's going to run his route, and causes the pile-up. (But Boykin is still wide open deep for the TD.)

Interesting. It seems we might have that quasi- Erhardt Perkins thing going in our playbook, where the same "play" (or concept, or route combo) is run out of multiple formations. Like what the Patriots have done for decades. From what we read two offseasons ago, this play or combo should go by the same "term", no matter which formation we get to it from.