Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Allen Robinson for 15m a year or Curtis Samuel for 8m a year?

Guys/gals I like to play poker. Before the breakout of COVID I played in two separate games. One (near my house) every other Thursday night, the other every week (had to drive 20 miles), usually on Wednesdays. There are times you may have the choice of going "All-In." When you go "All-In" you might win a huge pot or may have to end play because you have no chips left. Like rolling the dice so to speak. The Ravens, having been playoff participants 3 years in-a-row, are on the cusp of something great. It has happened to us before in 2000/01 and 2012/13. IMO it's time for DeCosta to do something bold to get us over the hump, otherwise we will be perennial playoff participants, but like brides (or grooms) left at the altar... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    If you think you can get Bowser for cheap, then I can assure you he is not flying under anyone's radar, not this year out of any year with 26 odd teams trying to build a full roster and still stay under the cap, lol.

There is something about this team and how they value stopping the run that brings down the sacks numbers. Either through injury of scheme, you had Ngakoue playing 20 odd snaps against a team that hardly runs. If that's how they intent yo use him, then 15m is obviously way too much. Same for Judon. But apparently there is hardly enough cap space for a 20m ARob even if they don't bring anyone back.

Also, Z. Smith (on both accounts)
    There is room if they want it, yes. They have a few re-structures/releases available to create space.

Don't be surprised if some of these high end FA's take 1 year prove it deals as well. A lot of agents will be advising in that direction. Doesn't make much sense for a good player to sign a long term deal in a depressed market where every team is seemingly on a tight budget, it brings the market value down across the board.

Just sign a short deal and re-enter the market when teams are ready to spend, I really like the idea of the Ravens going after a big name WR on a short contract, that way they won't rope themselves into hammering their cap in future years if it doesn't work out & the fit isn't right. Re-assess next offseason when we have to pay Lamar/Andrews and figure out who we need to keep and who's expendable.

Blog Entries

To be clear, the tweet the Robinson ‘like’, also included handing him a blank check to join.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Mhm, we blitz as much as anybody in the NFL with Wink as well. Bring back Bowser/McPhee and look at finding a value option instead of a 15M+ per contract for Judon or Yannick... that's just a bad ROI when you desperately need a WR. Draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd and/or look at cap casualties in an unusually tight cap year.

OLB is very feast or famine. There are only a handful that are actually worth big contracts (Garrett, TJ Watt, Chandler Jones, Frank Clark, Mack ect.), guys that can actually takeover games and dominate consistently. Judon/Yannick didn't dominate their matchup in a single damn game the entire season... screams replaceable for cheaper.
    Spending $15M on a legit WR like Allen Robinson (while opening up the passing offense) over Yannick or Judon at similar money is a no brainer. Yannick and Judon have disappeared for games resulting in opposing QBs having all day in the pocket to make a throw.

I'd rather see the Ravens settle for a cheaper option and draft a pass rusher over paying great player money for good pass rushers. Wink has been good at scheming up blitz packages too and the Ravens would find a way to survive without Judon and Yannick if they both walked.

I want to see the offense truly be a duel threat by adding Robinson or anther legit #1. Otherwise it's likely going to be the same story next year and the offense stalls out in the playoffs against the better teams.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Spending $15M on a legit WR like Allen Robinson (while opening up the passing offense) over Yannick or Judon at similar money is a no brainer. Yannick and Judon have disappeared for games resulting in opposing QBs having all day in the pocket to make a throw.

I'd rather see the Ravens settle for a cheaper option and draft a pass rusher over paying great player money for good pass rushers. Wink has been good at scheming up blitz packages too and the Ravens would find a way to survive without Judon and Yannick if they both walked.

I want to see the offense truly be a duel threat by adding Robinson or anther legit #1. Otherwise it's likely going to be the same story next year and the offense stalls out in the playoffs against the better teams.
    100%

Don't pay great money for a good pass rusher, pay great money for a great WR

The best offseason acquisition in the entire NFL this season was a WR (Diggs). There is a precedent for the move that we're all clamoring for having real world success, look at Buffalo. That's what Allen Robinson could do for Lamar, safety net on the boundary where he needs it most. Where defenses in the playoffs have dared us to throw the ball during the entire Lamar era.

Now some of that Diggs move panning out the way it did is on Josh Allen working his ass off in the offseason, just like it will be for Lamar this offseason, he has to put in the work to bring this thing to the next level. But get him the damn WR, let's get over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    100%

Don't pay great money for a good pass rusher, pay great money for a great WR

The best offseason acquisition in the entire NFL this season was a WR (Diggs). There is a precedent for the move that we're all clamoring for having real world success, look at Buffalo. That's what Allen Robinson could do for Lamar, safety net on the boundary where he needs it most. Where defenses in the playoffs have dared us to throw the ball during the entire Lamar era.

Now some of that Diggs move panning out the way it did is on Josh Allen working his ass off in the offseason, just like it will be for Lamar this offseason, he has to put in the work to bring this thing to the next level. But get him the damn WR, let's get over the hump.
    This. I'm also not too worried about resigning our players next year. Honestly, I might take a lot of heat for this, bit I think we can sign/draft another 80-20 rule TE to replace Andrews when his contract is up and do fine especially given our draft record and after seeing him disappear in the playoffs.

What bothers me about Harbs statement is that it needlessly turns off some potentially great fits at WR. Receivers get paid based on receptions and TD so of course every WR in their right mind would want stats. That's why I think such a statement is just reckless and stupid for an organization that as we all know absolutely needs a #1 WR

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    "There are several dynamic wide receivers that are unrestricted free agents, including Allen Robinson, A.J. Green. T.Y. Hilton and Sammy Watkins."

Did John Harbaugh or Ozzie Newsome write this?

back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    "There are several dynamic wide receivers that are unrestricted free agents, including Allen Robinson, A.J. Green. T.Y. Hilton and Sammy Watkins."

at least that part wasn't a Harbs quote ;-)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post

I generally like Todd Karpovich, but did he actually watch AJ Green play this year? Green is cooked.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Not super interested in paying huge money for a WR to come in here and catch 50 passes for 700 yards and 4 TDs.

If the offensive philosophy isn't changing, which it isn't, this is all just navel-gazing. Just draft somebody who run blocks well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Not super interested in paying huge money for a WR to come in here and catch 50 passes for 700 yards and 4 TDs.

If the offensive philosophy isn't changing, which it isn't, this is all just navel-gazing. Just draft somebody who run blocks well
    bmore, you could be right, but a superior WR presence would create more than you've listed. It would open up more space for our running game and devise more opportunities for other receivers (namely Hollywood and Andrews), as the opposing defense would have another major danger to account for... Bc