Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: It's A Buyer's Market

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Did we ever throw the ball to Luke Wilson?
    Unfortunately, yes

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I Don’t get the Boyle hate... I just don’t... How is that $5m going to bring us anyone more impactful? Best Run blocking atE in football by a wide margin on the most run heavy team in football by a wide margin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's interesting. The offense got better without him. Not because he's not impactful... but rather because it got us out of the predictable power running game and we started to incorporate the bash concepts and be less predictable & easy to key on.

I like Boyle and don't want to cut him for pretty measly savings either. But what I don't like is how Roman uses him as a glorified extra OL and just tries to run the ball down everybody's throat because he has such a good blocking TE that nobody fears as a pass catcher.

I don't want to be the the most run heavy team in the NFL anymore. Ravens need to achieve balance, this historically run dominant offense is taking us down a road that leads nowhere. I loved what Stefanski did with the Browns offense, they still had a strong running game but they weren't nearly as one-dimensional as we are. That needs to be the goal.

If we release Boyle for that money I’ll be pissed he’s like one of our best offensive players

I personally do not want Boyle Cut for 5 mill.

There is more dead weight that can go to account for some of that but lets be honest here.

So what Boyle is the best blocking TE in the league. This team cut a more impactful player in Anquan Boldin for pretty much the same amount of money so I wouldnt be surprised if it happened.

This team needs another receiging TE set to get back to some of those two TE sets.

Jake Breeland undrafted guy this past season if healthy might be an option but they need to focus on another playmaker period.

They passed on some amazing WRS to draft Hayden Hurst, only to give him away and now still need a #1 WR and be down a top tier TE

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    It's interesting. The offense got better without him. Not because he's not impactful... but rather because it got us out of the predictable power running game and we started to incorporate the bash concepts and be less predictable & easy to key on.

I like Boyle and don't want to cut him for pretty measly savings either. But what I don't like is how Roman uses him as a glorified extra OL and just tries to run the ball down everybody's throat because he has such a good blocking TE that nobody fears as a pass catcher.

I don't want to be the the most run heavy team in the NFL anymore. Ravens need to achieve balance, this historically run dominant offense is taking us down a road that leads nowhere. I loved what Stefanski did with the Browns offense, they still had a strong running game but they weren't nearly as one-dimensional as we are. That needs to be the goal.
    Or it’s because we started playing awful teams down the stretch, but sure...

So you don’t like winning? Because being the most run heavy team in the NFL has won more games and scored more points than any other team or system since Roman took over.

Funny, I think the goal should be to go even more one dimensional. The losing streak in the middle of the season was when we started moving away from the run. Lamar is not, has not been successful, and IMO, never will be successful if placed in a pocket only role. Without the easy passing lanes and overstocked boxes he’s simply not good enough.

So you don’t like winning? Because being the most run heavy team in the NFL has won more games and scored more points than any other team or system since Roman took over.

Funny, I think the goal should be to go even more one dimensional. The losing streak in the middle of the season was when we started moving away from the run. Lamar is not, has not been successful, and IMO, never will be successful if placed in a pocket only role. Without the easy passing lanes and overstocked boxes he’s simply not good enough.

Aaaaand that's where you lost me.

One dimensional and unbalanced doesn't cut it against the top teams, certainly not in the playoffs (not that the Chargers in 2018 were world beaters) And there are obvious personnel and scheme deficiencies with the offense.

Also, pocket only role is a fine strawman, sadly nobody is arguing moving from a 40%/60% pass/run to a 80%/20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    As of today (according to OTC's Effective Salary Cap Space) there are 13 teams that will have to make cuts (and/or resort to extensions and post June 1 cuts) just to fill a full cap-compliant roster. Breaking that into tiers:

Need to clear <$20M in cap space
    Bills
    Titans
    Bears
    Vikings
    Raiders
    Texans

Need to clear between $20M and $40M in cap space
    Chiefs
    Rams
    Packers
    Steelers
    Falcons

Team who are well and truly f...
    Eagles (need to clear ~$52M)
    Saints (need to clear ~$99M)

Premise
    An uncommon number of teams will need to cut players, and some of those teams will need to cut almost every decent veteran whose anywhere near the end of their contract. Include the fact that the average NFL team will have FAR less cap space to spend, and it's clear that '21 free agency will be a buyers market. We should be willing to cut players we might not normally cut, because the cap savings may yield uncommonly good returns this offseason.

Ravens Options to Clear Cap Space for a Buyer's Market
    This are just my opinions. I'm more confident about the general claim that we should be more aggressive cutting players this offseason than I am in exactly who is worth cutting.

No Brainer
    Mark Ingram - $5M (cap savings)

Lean Yes This Year, But A Tougher Choice In A Normal Year
    Nick Boyle - $5.5M
    LJ Fort - $2.25M
    Brandon Williams - $7.5M

Tough Choice Even in 2021
    Calais Campbell - $5M
    Patrick Ricard - $2M
    Marcus Peters - $9.5M

Feel free to disagree! I'm interested to see what the RSR community thinks.
    I don't think the Ravens should cut Campbell, Ricard or Peters. The savings when coupled with the cost of replacement is not going to save you all that much money. I also don't think you cut Boyle unless you are getting a new OC and running a different offense. I do think it is probably time to move on from Brandon Williams. It is a shame that there is so much dead money in his final year of the contract. LJ Fort is a maybe. They will have about 40m in cap space in a buyers market.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I don't think the Ravens should cut Campbell, Ricard or Peters. The savings when coupled with the cost of replacement is not going to save you all that much money. I also don't think you cut Boyle unless you are getting a new OC and running a different offense. I do think it is probably time to move on from Brandon Williams. It is a shame that there is so much dead money in his final year of the contract. LJ Fort is a maybe. They will have about 40m in cap space in a buyers market.
    Move on from Brandon Williams? That's ludicrous, everytime he's out, the Ravens get GASHED on the ground. If anything, I'd want them to extend Brandon Williams for another couple years to lower his cap hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    This but I also believe Wink's scheme asks our LBs to do a lot. Yannick has been a great pass rusher his whole career and he is still young. He didn't suddenly start sucking mid-season. I look at Z. Smith as an example, none of us thought he was going to be worth the money he got based on his production in our system. He goes to Green Bay and he has had double digit sack seasons in back to back years.

Love Wink but his scheme doesn't seem to be kind to pass rushers.
    Ravens run a defense that doesn't put the OLB in a position to rack up sack numbers. They value OLBs that are better at setting the edge. They use blitzes to get pressure on the QB. It seems to work for the Ravens. They should sign Bowser as he has become the ideal OLB for the Ravens. He is the guy that does everything at average or slightly above average. They will getting a good pass rusher at the position and will use them more as a situational guy like they did with Z smith. It is hard to argue as it works for the Ravens. The Ravens defense works best when they get a guy in the middle that can collapse the pocket. That is why they need to hold onto Campbell.

I don't think they should move away from the run game. I think that is what makes the offense so unique, however they have to become more efficient in the passing game. You don't want Lamar dropping back 35-40 times and slinging it all over the yard. What you want is to be able to make teams pay for stacking the box. Saturday night Buffalo dared Baltimore to throw the and they couldn't do it for plethora of reasons. There were drops by the receivers, Lamar missed open receivers, the OL and backs was poor in blitz pick up, and GRo pass scheme doesn't help.

I believe that Baltimore has to get Lamar a receivers that can win 1v1. Everybody is gushing over what Josh Allen was able to do this year. Make no bones about it he put in some serious work during the off-season, however the single biggest reason for his improvement is the fact that he has a guy that can win 1v1 matchups against just about anybody in the league. Diggs is going to come down with the ball when its thrown to him. He doesn't have to have pin point accuracy he just has to get the ball in Diggs area and he will make a play for him. Josh had 206 yards passing and 106 (more than half) went to Diggs. Having a guy like that opens up things for Beasley, Brown, and Davis because you have got to provide safety help or Diggs will beat you. I still contend that this group of pass catchers doesn't do Lamar any favors.

Going back to my original point, I think the Ravens have to be all in on Allen Robinson. If you have to slightly over pay for him then so be it. I think he is the missing ingredient that would take this meal from a 3* meal to 5* meal. This offense would be unstoppable. Now Lamar would absolutely have to put more work in but teams would be hesitant to put 8 or 9 guys in the box because the would have a guy that could win 1v1.

From that list I doubt that any one of them get cut besides Ingram. Maybe a restructure or two?
    As much as everyone wants Robinson I just dont see it happening. At their core they're a running team and they can upgrade the receiver position without breaking the bank (Godwin,Davis etc). With an upgraded IOL better playcalling + better receivers and an improved Lamar the passing game should be more than good enough.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Cutting Brandon Williams would be a serious mistake; he is vital to our defense. If you also cut Calais Campbell then you might as well forfeit next season (draft and develop their replacements instead).

Finding a replacement to the ‘heart and soul’ of our rush defense will be extremely difficult.
    I agree. The savings for B-Will just isn't there to justify cutting a guy who impacts run defense the way he does.

Regardless, and I've said this multiple times on this board, I don't think you're going to see the NFL leaving so many teams hanging with the salary cap. It not only hurts the teams and their ability to build a roster but it also hurts the players' wallets since there won't be as much money in the FA pool. With that mutual interest in mind I think the NFL will let teams borrow against the 2022 cap to help alleviate 2021.