Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Study

Blog Entries

Film Study

I can see how everyone gets different views on the same tape. I'm watching this Edgar Allen video after someone posted it and, on the very first play, Dobbins is clearly not the first or second read on the play. You could say that he could dump it to Ricard at one point, but Jackson also looks to escape the pocket just about that same time. He still has Dobbins, but Dobbins is flat footed, doesn't see the defender behind him and it's a play where Lamar is scrambling to his left to make the throw, if he were to make it. The next play, he scrambles and does make that throw, but no defender is in the rear vicinity of Dobbins. Which is likely why he feels more comfortable throwing it. That play, Andrews is clearly not the first read. You have two DBs who barrel down on the slot guy, but Dobbins isn't as open as he looks, because again, that DB nearest him is not that far away from Dobbins that he can't disrupt the throw if Jackson makes it as he steps up in the pocket.

I'm just going through this play by play and there may be some more glaring ones down the line, but these guys are not as wide open as some posters were making it seem and there seems to be little to no attention in the posts about the read progressions at all. It's more like, 'We see this guy open so Lamar should'. I see a guy who is being cautious and I see a guy who lacks conviction, but I don't see a bunch of guys being schemed open that he's missing. I see a bunch of fans thinking they're experts when there's more to the play. I even see some lack of confidence, but in this offense, how is he supposed to build confidence as a passer?

I keep reading about what he needs to do. He needs to throw with anticipation. He needs to do this. He needs to do that, but no one is explaining how he is supposed to do that with significant growth, within this offense.

It's not that I can't see what he needs to do. It's that I don't see how he is supposed to do that in this offense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Film Study

Could you post a link to the video?

I think Dobbins was wide open, but the pressure up the middle didn't allow him time to even make a read.

Speaking of Filmstudy, what happened to the poster FILMSTUDY that used to post here regularly?

Blog Entries

I dunno, theres clearly lots of underneath stuff that open that Lamar is missing or not taking for some reason. The real question is why? His underneath/short game last year was excellent and then all of a sudden it went to dog shit? The Oline taking a step back is a big reason but it also seems like Lamar just all of a sudden doesn’t believe in the offense before him and wants to play hero ball. The coaching staff is undoubtedly going to have to make some major changes to how they are approaching this going forward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    Could you post a link to the video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaLlDIu_05k&t=1s
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

It looks like Dobbins isn't even his first or second or even third read on the play. Ricard looks to be the third read. By the time he sees Dobbins, he's out of the pocket.

Blog Entries

On the second play in that video, we see an example of what Steve Smith Sr. is talking about. Two Go's and two stops, both on the same side of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Balbirdsfan View Post
    I think Dobbins was wide open, but the pressure up the middle didn't allow him time to even make a read.

Speaking of Filmstudy, what happened to the poster FILMSTUDY that used to post here regularly?
    Ken McKusick produces this podcast and makes fairly frequent appearances on local sports radio:

https://player.fm/podcasts/filmstudy-baltimore

Ken is also a good follow on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/FilmstudyRavens

Blog Entries

On the third play, Boykin looks to be like, the fourth read on the play. By the time he starts to break open, pressure is in Lamar’s face. He starts to scramble and all Boykin does is jump up and down waving his hands instead of coming back to the ball. Jackson gets the ball to Dobbins, who would have had it earlier in the play if he hadn’t slipped, but Dobbins drops it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    I dunno, theres clearly lots of underneath stuff that open that Lamar is missing or not taking for some reason. The real question is why? His underneath/short game last year was excellent and then all of a sudden it went to dog shit? The Oline taking a step back is a big reason but it also seems like Lamar just all of a sudden doesn’t believe in the offense before him and wants to play hero ball. The coaching staff is undoubtedly going to have to make some major changes to how they are approaching this going forward.
    This is what I see as well and he does seem tentative to just throw it. Maybe they preach no turnovers ad nausea

I like Roman but, just reading tea leaves, the one concern I have is I’m not sure some of the players do

Hollywood I would speculate does not, and he’s close to LJ.
    Judon ‘liked’ a post saying Fire Roman.

They don’t have to love the guy but this needs to be addressed and let them be heard

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

As a side note, I can almost guarantee you that Roman and Harbaugh are telling Lamar to be safe with the ball.