Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Off-season moves in these four areas

The Ravens are one of only three teams to appear in a divisional playoff game in each of the last two years, along with the Chiefs and Packers. And one of only four teams to make the playoffs at least three years in a row, along with Seattle, New Orleans (4) and KC (6). And there are only three additional teams that have made it two years in a row (Green Bay, Tennessee, Buffalo).

In the NFL nothing stays the same. It explains why it's so hard to sustain greatness, and also explains why fans are trained to believe their team is just a couple tweaks away from vast improvement.

With that in mind, what moves would you like to see the Ravens make in the following four areas, as they cope with financial realities, weaknesses, and opportunities to get better. It's more fun if you are specific. For instance, avoid statements like "get a pass rusher." Choosing no changes in some categories is okay, too.

Here are my four:

1. External free agent signings:
    • WR Kenny Golladay. He's 28, coming off an injury season, but led the NFL in TD catches in 2019. Good hands, big catch radius.

2. Internal personnel decisions:
    • Re-sign Free agents Gus Edwards (RFA), Willie Snead, Tyus Bowser, Pernell McPhee, Derek Wolfe, Jihad Ward, Justin Ellis, Trystan Colon-Castillo (EFRA), Chris Board (RFA), Anthony Levine, Chris Moore, Morgan Cox.
    • Move on from names like Matt Judon, Yannick Ngakoue, Dez Bryant, Robert Griffin, Matt Skura, Mark Ingram (waive)

3. Draft:
    • Texas EDGE Joseph Ossai, 6'4" 260. Versatile skill set (can set edge, cover, FFs, TFL, sacks), high motor. Not considered one of the "elite" EDGE guys, so he should be available.
    • Alabama G/T Alex Leatherwood, 6'6 220. Super athletic in space and stout. Will need some work on hands. Good option to develop as a RG or RT if Orlando can't resign.
    • Georgia S, Richard LeCounte, 5'11" 190. Leadership skills and immediate special teams contributor who will also fill a rotational role in pass defense packages. Good coverage instincts.
    • Iowa State TE Charlie Kolar, 6'6" 245, Try hard blocker and with catch radius and good hands.

4. Coaching:
    • Hire Darrell Bevell as passing game coordinator. Bevell was Golladay's OC in Detroit. He became interim HC when Patricia was fired. He worked under Brad Childress and was the guy who "discovered" Russell Wilson and pushed for him to start in Seattle. So he is used to balancing the strong running philosophy with a mobile QB and effective passing game. Would likely consider the job as a stepping stone for a head job if he can succeed in improving the Ravens passing game.
    Last edited by Shas; 01-18-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: Off-season moves in these four areas

"Draft:
    Texas EDGE Joseph Ossai, 6'4" 260. Versatile skill set (can set edge, cover, FFs, TFL, sacks), high motor. Not considered one of the "elite" EDGE guys, so he should be available.
    Alabama G/T Alex Leatherwood, 6'6 220. Super athletic in space and stout. Will need some work on hands. Good option to develop as a RG or RT if Orlando can't resign."

Shas, I'd love those two guys, and Creed Humphrey (Center, Oklahoma)... Bc

Blog Entries

"Draft:
    Texas EDGE Joseph Ossai, 6'4" 260. Versatile skill set (can set edge, cover, FFs, TFL, sacks), high motor. Not considered one of the "elite" EDGE guys, so he should be available.
    Alabama G/T Alex Leatherwood, 6'6 220. Super athletic in space and stout. Will need some work on hands. Good option to develop as a RG or RT if Orlando can't resign."

Shas, I'd love those two guys, and Creed Humphrey (Center, Oklahoma) who possibly can be had in a later round... Bc

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

You need to get a center in there as well, unless you think TCC is him. All reports say TCC has flaws that will be exposed with more usage but I didn't see them in the games he played.

I am okay with TCC and Mekari and the options, along with Bredesen even. I'm not ready to write of Mekari due to bad snaps in one game.

Darrell Bevell is an interesting name, but I kinda think he gets an OC job somewhere. They'll have to go lower on the totem pole imo. Or else an offensive minded HC who just got canned a la the Jim Caldwell model.

Doug Pederson anyone? Although I bet Reid hires Pederson back if Bienemy gets a HC job.

Maybe Kubiak is willing to take another spin in a slightly less intense advisory role?

Fire Harbaugh. Hire Bieniemy.

We cant get bieniemy as an OC. Hes only moving for a hc gig.

Sign galladay.

Draft offensivelineman and rush.

As long as they shore up one of the RG/Center positions I don’t really care which it is. They are both C level players which would be fine if they were next to a B+ level player, so just find that guy whether it’s a center or guard.

9. Re: Off-season moves in these four areas

If I never have to see another Skura or Mekari snap as long as I live, I'll die happy. That said, Mekari does provide some versatility as a guard (and, shockingly, especially given his T. Rex arms, he was pretty serviceable as an emergency tackle).

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Fire Harbaugh. Hire Bieniemy.

We cant get bieniemy as an OC. Hes only moving for a hc gig.

Sign galladay.

Draft offensivelineman and rush.
    Your first instinct is always to fire Harbaugh. We'd be on head coach #6 at this point if you were in charge.

11. Re: Off-season moves in these four areas

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Your first instinct is always to fire Harbaugh. We'd be on head coach #6 at this point if you were in charge.
    Hbg blames the breakdown of society's fabric and the London blitz on John Harbaugh. He shines that pet rock every single day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    If I never have to see another Skura or Mekari snap as long as I live, I'll die happy. That said, Mekari does provide some versatility as a guard (and, shockingly, especially given his T. Rex arms, he was pretty serviceable as an emergency tackle).
    I am fine with Mekari being on the Ravens as a backup OL. However, not as a starter. Skura should not be on the team next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare