Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Reopening the Discussion: Perceived or Real Limitations on Lamar as a Passer and its Impact on the Offense

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    It seems as though LJ doesn’t trust his own ability to “throw a guy open”, or he doesn’t recognize the progression of a route.
    Looks like he wants to wait until a receiver is “open” before he throws, not understanding that “open” in the NFL is different than “open” in NCAA.

Now, whether or not the Ravens have receivers CAPABLE of getting “open” or an OC who can create an NFL-level passing game is an entirely separate question.
    Saw a lot of this against Buffalo. Andrews makes the cut and I scream ‘throw it’ and he pumps and hesitates, twirls around and...sack

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Re: Reopening the Discussion: Perceived or Real Limitations on Lamar as a Passer and its Impact on the Offense

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Lamar made chicken salad out of chicken sh** for most of this year. I think he needs to have a full offseason with Joshua Harris again this year to sure up his mechanics. Pretty sure COVID prohibited this last year,, which showed in some one his throws.
    He need to get with a QB guru like Jordan Palmer, JT OSullivan or someone like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until he gets a true number one wr LJ will struggle. Buffalo had a qb who got a lot better this year. Reason number one for that was they traded for diggs and he had 1,500 plus yards. Hollywood and Andrews combined did not. Allen went from below average passer to one who gets everything caught. They were catching passes off the ground Saturday.

The Ravens have become a running team because of mindset and personnel. No #1 wr, average to below average pass blocking line. Center play has become dreadful. Right now our centers get run over in passing plays half the time. They can run block well but not pass blocking at all. Half the run plays the defense line is moving in the direction you want them to go so run blocking is more about sealing off than blowing them out. Pass blocking in the middle is all about stuffing them in place which is much harder to do. So you end up with big and slow o linemen or quick and undersized o linemen. We have the first so we can run the ball. They do not pass block well.

LJ needs to become a roll out passer. That or become a highly accurate, quick, short game passer. He does not have the line for a deep passing game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Saw a lot of this against Buffalo. Andrews makes the cut and I scream ‘throw it’ and he pumps and hesitates, twirls around and...sack
    Yep. Instead of having a normal nfl offens end coaching him up, giving him easy reads and plays to warm him up, we run Roman's scheme and never really develop him

Ironically, this was my biggest issue with kaep as a pro. Elite athlete, elite arm strength, but had zero ability to anticipate

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He's a rhythm passer and that includes his mechanics and his field vision. Compare to that Cleveland game week 1. He was throwing darts and throwing guys open all game long. His mechanics, his eyes, his vision. everything was buttoned up.

Same thing against the Colts in the 2nd half of that game. All the sudden, he's crisp, sees the field perfectly and throws it on the hands and on time every time. Essentially doesn't miss the entire second half.

If I am going to watch all 18 games (17 minus 2nd Pitt game) to do a year end analysis, those are the 2 games I zero in on to figure out WHY they executed so well.

And those are 2 playoff teams.

Blog Entries

I really want to see him in a modern passing scheme with more than one viable receiver before I make any determination on his overall ability to throw the ball. Doubtful he's ever an elite thrower of the football, but he can and should be better than what we saw most of this year. Not a lot of guys are going to be consistently good playing under the passing concepts we've seen with Roman and throwing to the schmucks we have had playing receiver.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    He's a rhythm passer and that includes his mechanics and his field vision. Compare to that Cleveland game week 1. He was throwing darts and throwing guys open all game long. His mechanics, his eyes, his vision. everything was buttoned up.

Same thing against the Colts in the 2nd half of that game. All the sudden, he's crisp, sees the field perfectly and throws it on the hands and on time every time. Essentially doesn't miss the entire second half.

If I am going to watch all 18 games (17 minus 2nd Pitt game) to do a year end analysis, those are the 2 games I zero in on to figure out WHY they executed so well.

And those are 2 playoff teams.
    PROTECTION PROTECTION PROTECTION. Not hard to scan the field with your eyes down field when you don't have to peep over your shoulder or have a player right in your face

All you have to do is go to YouTube and type in “Lamar Jackson passing highlights”.. and any fool can see Lamar can make ANY throw. Even has some nice balls outside the numbers.

What I’ve noticed is many in this board don’t actually watch football outside of the ravens.

Every QB overthrow deep routes, throws bad INt, misses the timing on routes. Look at drew brees last night.

When Lamar does it once in a game “OMG THIS PROVES HE CANT THROW”.

The media does it too. It’s child like and silly.

IMO it stops us from focusing on the real issues. Which is 2 things.

1. I don’t see how anyone with a football IQ above 0 didn’t take away from the Buffalo game first and foremost how much Time josh had to throw vs the ravens.

The Oline was an utter mess. It doesn’t matter how good your offense is, if the Oline constantly collapses the Receivers don’t have time to run their routes and get open and the QB will be running for his life.

Ask Randy Moss and the patriots. If the most profilic passing attack in history couldn’t get off the ground because of the Oline getting beat. What do you think will happen to this ravens offense?

It’s not about Lamar pre snap blitz pickup. Our blitz pickup was fine. Unless it’s cover 0 we have enough blockers to pick up blitzes.

And we picked them up well. Our lineman were just getting destroyed. You saw guys shedding our blocks and collapsing the pocket within seconds.

Focusing on Oline play isn’t sexy nor does it make for good takes on TV, so the pundits stay away from it. So the Casual Fan has no clue what the hell is actually going on.

They just go “derrr look he missed that throw”. “Der look at that 58% completion percentage”.

A prime example of this is chiefs vs browns.

Chiefs were 3rd and about 20 yards from the endzone.

Andy calls a brilliant screen play.

It gets severely destroyed.

The announcers were so busy “ooohing and ahhhing”, they didn’t even tell the people what happened on the play.

I rewound it and slowed it down. It was a CLEAR touchdown...

But the lineman being pulled completely missed his block. He over ran too deep on his pull.

Had he made that one block it was a walk in touchdown.

What’s my point?

That one lineman missing his block was the difference between and touchdown and kicking a field goal.

This is how critical the Oline is, and most casuals don’t have the understanding to know that. So they blame the QB mostly.

Look at Carson wentz. I’ve never been a fan, but you telling me you go from mvp candidate to complete scrub in 2 years?

The reality is that Oline couldn’t block half the posters on this forum. Of course the media it’s all about Carson. But damn no Qb that doesn’t have the ability to run for his life could have success behind that Oline.

9. Re: Reopening the Discussion: Perceived or Real Limitations on Lamar as a Passer and its Impact on the Offense

So what was #2? I hate incomplete lists - keeps me in suspense.

If this season is the ceiling, we’re dealing with a QB that moves the ball through the air about as well as Buffalo Tyrod Taylor, with a bit better of an ability to score at a trade off of being slightly more turnover prone. To be fair, he’s also an exponentially better runner of the football. Once his running declines, slightly better than Tyrod production won’t cut it. We have to put the pieces in place to allow Lamar the chance to develop as a passer before his running ability declines, otherwise we may just hit a wall hard down the road.

11. Re: Reopening the Discussion: Perceived or Real Limitations on Lamar as a Passer and its Impact on the Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    If this season is the ceiling, we’re dealing with a QB that moves the ball through the air about as well as Buffalo Tyrod Taylor, with a bit better of an ability to score at a trade off of being slightly more turnover prone. To be fair, he’s also an exponentially better runner of the football. Once his running declines, slightly better than Tyrod production won’t cut it. We have to put the pieces in place to allow Lamar the chance to develop as a passer before his running ability declines, otherwise we may just hit a wall hard down the road.
    Rewatch Week 1 this year, the Dolphins game last year, or, really, MOST of our wins last year, and tell me Lamar's arm is "Tyrod Taylor" calibre. That's objectively wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    Rewatch Week 1 this year, the Dolphins game last year, or, really, MOST of our wins last year, and tell me Lamar's arm is "Tyrod Taylor" calibre. That's objectively wrong.
    My argument was a statistical comparison, not a raw talent comparison. You’re putting words in my mouth there.