Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Dear John, Keep G-Ro & Double-down: Innovate Again!

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRaven View Post
    On third and forever (ie all day yesterday, and practically every Raven loss) the defense already knows we’re passing. In a spread, Lamar can actually run it for 15.
    Not true at all. Ravens run spread empty backfield regardless of situation.

Empty backfield doesn’t give Lamar more running lanes when they have a spy in the middle anyway.

How does having an Rb in the backfield limit Lamar in anyway from taking off?

Also we don’t only run spread empty backfield on 3rd down and long. Not sure where you came up with that?

I’ve seen enough of your posts to know you’ve thought it through. I just think we disagree about how critical Roman’s offense was in Lamar’s success. I just don’t see the Ravens abandoning it after two playoff seasons out of two. What the Ravens lack is the ability to pass when a run won’t work. So add a passing game by going all the way: bring in an air raid expert which I think will suit Lamar’s strengths, instead of doing more of what we’ve already seen. Yeah, it’s definitely out of the box thinking, but Lamar is Lamar, not [Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning etc ] It needs to suit Lamar’s strengths.
    My preference is to keep Roman if the Ravens really think he can innovate in the passing game. But I just don't see it happening based on Roman's track record with the 49ers, Bills and now Rams.

I think Roman is staying so it's best the team works on creating a more balanced passing attack. Something has to change after two straight seasons of Roman's offenses struggling in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    Not true at all. Ravens run spread empty backfield regardless of situation.

Empty backfield doesn’t give Lamar more running lanes when they have a spy in the middle anyway.

How does having an Rb in the backfield limit Lamar in anyway from taking off?

Also we don’t only run spread empty backfield on 3rd down and long. Not sure where you came up with that?
    I think you missed part of the excessively long original post I wrote. Nothing about the proposed new passing scheme is predicated on what G-Ro did in the past. That’s actually the critical aspect here. We keep the run scheme but not the pass except for play action. The point of the post is to address the reason we lost virtually every game that we lost: When we must pass and the defense knows it, we can’t. Third and long, playing from behind, or the run is not working. If not for this problem, the Ravens are winning SB’s.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    My preference is to keep Roman if the Ravens really think he can innovate in the passing game. But I just don't see it happening based on Roman's track record with the 49ers, Bills and now Rams.

I think Roman is staying so it's best the team works on creating a more balanced passing attack. Something has to change after two straight seasons of Roman's offenses struggling in the playoffs.
    Agree—the current passing scheme is not working for Lamar. He really struggles as a pocket passer though. If you watch the all 22 you’ll see he’s failing to see multiple wide open receivers (for various reasons).*It’s not that receivers weren’t open.* Basically he makes the wrong throws from the pocket, or gets sacked or tries to scramble. I think he would be much better in an uptempo air raid passing attack...at times when we NEED to pass (can’t run it). This is the situation that has stopped him in almost every loss he’s had thus far in his career. (Play action would still available on run downs.)

Agree—the current passing scheme is not working for Lamar. He really struggles as a pocket passer though. If you watch the all 22 you’ll see he’s failing to see multiple wide open receivers (for various reasons).*It’s not that receivers weren’t open.* Basically he makes the wrong throws from the pocket, or gets sacked or tries to scramble. I think he would be much better in an uptempo air raid passing attack...at times when we NEED to pass (can’t run it). This is the situation that has stopped him in almost every loss he’s had thus far in his career. (Play action would still available on run downs.)
    I think bringing in a contested catching WR1 and instruct the offence to play 3rd and long all offseason.
    Have a 3WR/TE/RB setup. Do screens, slants, deep shots, crosses, double moves, etc. work on the passing window progressions and penalise Lamar every time he scrambles (10yds from end of the run). That will get the focus on passing and make Lamar only run when he really really has to.

I don’t mind Andrews being subbed by Boyle in that setup, both need to learn.

Boykin can fight for WR3 with Bryant, etc. BUT we must bring in a WR1 who is better than Hollywood in contested catches.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the key to this idea is John convincing Greg to take the next step toward being an NFL head coach. It’s unconventional—but Harbaugh and the Ravens have built their offensive identity by thinking out of the box. Drafting Lamar, building a ground breaking offense around him, being on the forefront of
    Data Analytics are a few examples. It’s pretty clear to Greg now that change is in the air (no pun intended), and I do think he wants to be a HC. Getting fired isn’t an option for G-Ro.
    That would imply that Harbaugh wants that change.

Blog Entries

They wanted Roman, because of who he is. Now, they need to fire him, because of who he is.

If there is open players all over the field and the QB isn’t doing his job, how is that the Coordinators fault. Sounds like an execution error not a scheme error.

Can you please explain how the air raid system makes the QB’s reads easier than Greg Romans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear John,
    The 2019 NFL season will forever be remembered as the year Lamar and the Ravens shocked the world (and not the year KC won the SB). And it was Greg Roman who brilliantly built an offense that Lamar could win with.

1. Keep Roman and the best run game in NFL history.
    2. Then challenge him to become head coach material.
    3. Bring in the best Air Raid coordinator available, and the best play caller available and have Greg let them cook.
    4. Bring in a center and right guard who have pass pro strength.
    5. Trade for a WR1.

If Greg succeeds:
    • He’ll be THE most coveted head coach candidate, and we’ll have his successor in-house.

• We’ll have the best run game in history, PLUS air raid options with Lamar as a threat to run.

• You look like a genius...again.

Who says we can’t have both? They said Lamar couldn’t play QB, but you thought out of the box. Keep innovating! What’s the worst that could happen? We’ll always have the run game...

PS: And don’t say that Lamar isn’t smart enough to audible. Lamar’s mind is lightning quick and he works best while up-tempo.
    You're year late - 2019 came and went - and the advice wasn't taken

2020 came and went - and the advice wasn't taken

Here comes 2021 - and the advice wasn't taken

................ 2030 - and the advice wasn't taken

What's new

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post

Roman thinks Roman is definitely not the problem. The man literally had no targeted game plan in every playoff game. He just runs what he always does. It was more Vanilla than the last five regular season games. WTF does he do the week or weeks before the biggest game of the year.

I'm telling you it's pure arrogance. He feels his schtik is so good he doesn't need no stinking wrinkles to throw A defense off. He has reached his Peter Principle and either replace him or demand he work with a expert in pass scheme to design A new playbook that adds and compliments the strong running game while providing A plan B if the run game shits the bed

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    I think bringing in a contested catching WR1 and instruct the offence to play 3rd and long all offseason.
    Have a 3WR/TE/RB setup. Do screens, slants, deep shots, crosses, double moves, etc. work on the passing window progressions and penalise Lamar every time he scrambles (10yds from end of the run). That will get the focus on passing and make Lamar only run when he really really has to.

I don’t mind Andrews being subbed by Boyle in that setup, both need to learn.

Boykin can fight for WR3 with Bryant, etc. BUT we must bring in a WR1 who is better than Hollywood in contested catches.
    Never condition Lamar not to run when something isn't there. Some of the other points are good. Your using the Belicheat situation football to in grain a habit of a instinctual pass game.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    If there is open players all over the field and the QB isn’t doing his job, how is that the Coordinators fault. Sounds like an execution error not a scheme error.
    There aren't open players all over the field. That's a new myth that's suddenly sprung up this week. Yes, he isn't trusting his receivers and is holding the ball too long at times. And yes, there are open receivers Lamar doesn't see now and then, just like there are on passing plays from every QB. (If you freeze frame even the most efficient passers like Rodgers or Brady you'll see wide open receivers that they've missed. Lamar obviously misses reads a lot more than those guys. )

Sometimes it looks worse for Lamar because he keeps plays alive so long it gives receivers more time. Isn't it funny how it's rarely the first or second read that's wide open? The scheme is doing a poor job of freeing up the players the pass is designed to go to. He isn't missing open receivers every time. It's more the case that eventually, when it becomes clear the play is designed to go elsewhere, someone gets open late.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Can you please explain how the air raid system makes the QB’s reads easier than Greg Romans?
    Because it spreads the receivers and defenders out? Because it doesn't send multiple receivers to the same spot? Because it's hard to be worse than the worst passing offense in the league?