Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2021 Free Agent Wide Receivers

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    This is you stating your opinion as fact to support your opinion about the need at WR.

They do need to refine the passing game but you need to understand the cause of the decline in the performance of the passing game and it wasn't WR. The OL needs fixed. Lamar needs to improve his rhythm drop back fundamentals and mechanics.
    It couldn’t have been because defenses caught on too.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Another 50 pages gets added to the Boykin thread and hear how if the offensive line improves it will solve the problems on offense.
    A thread about how Boykin’s development suffers in a low volume offense, without realizing that the same applies to all young WRs in that same offense. Brown had the Lion’s share of targets and didn’t even crack the top 40 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The same thing that’s been happening for YEARS, because it’s been happening for YEARS and that’s why we’ve been having these debates for YEARS. This is nothing new around here.
    Oh man we had these debates in 2013 on the old Ravens boards

"Tandon Doss and Deonte Thompson are going to be really good, we're fine at WR"

Then it was Marlon Brown, Kamar Aiken, Campanaro, Perriman, Jeremy Butler, Tim White, Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott... currently in the "Miles Boykin is going to breakout" era.

I literally can't fathom how many YEARS, nearly a decade people have been wrong about us being "fine at WR" and still say it every offseason. Ravens fans have Stockholm syndrome at WR. If the defense has a couple bad games it's time to spend, spend, spend... offense can't pass the ball against an 8 man box? Eh they'll figure it out.

Blog Entries

Question Re: 2021 Free Agent Wide Receivers

I just wonder if a pass-catching TE would be more productive (?) Although the 2nd round draft choice we received for Hurst was used wisely (Dobbins), we still missed Hurst as our 3rd TE. Perhaps with Andrews, Boyle coming back, and our usage of 2-TE sets, that 3rd TE might be more important to the "O" than some FA WR who may be underutilized.

JMO... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I just wonder if a pass-catching TE would be more productive (?) Although the 2nd round draft choice we received for Hurst was used wisely (Dobbins), we still missed Hurst as our 3rd TE. Perhaps with Andrews, Boyle coming back, and our usage of 2-TE sets, that 3rd TE might be more important to the "O" than some FA WR who may be underutilized.

JMO... Bc
    As frustrated as we are, that is a fair thought Bc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It couldn’t have been because defenses caught on too.....
    Such an empty platitude that could be applied to any offense/defense/team when they lose.

Blog Entries

JMO... Bc
    I’ve been saying the same. Laxdad, RWT and JohnnyReg brought it up in another thread and it makes sense....schematically and statistically.

JMO... Bc
    I think TE is a good target for the draft while WR is more of a FA hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Either way works for me. I’m always on the side of draft and develop.

I would love it if a quality TE or WR was BPA at some point in the draft.

But a plug and play third TE shouldn’t cost a bunch in FA though....especially compared to making a splash FA-WR signing that many in this thread seems to want.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Actually trading Michael Thomas post June 1 saves the Saints 12.8m which they are going to need. It’s going to happen.
    Any team needing cap space like the Saints needs it long before June 1. They have to get under the cap at the start of the new league year. The only relief June cuts/trades brings is to sign draft picks which won't count until signed.

11. 2021 Free Agent Wide Receivers

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I think Breeland is the wild card. If they are feeling good about his recovery, I could see them adding a 6th-rounder or later to add competition/depth. If not, a TE anywhere from the 2nd - 4th round would not surprise me at all.

Frankly, when we are talking about “pass catchers,” I think the goal for this offseason can be put into 1 of 3 buckets:

1) upgrading Boykin

Or

2) replacing Snead

Or

3) adding young depth

Relative to #2, as other have stated, I believe this may be accomplished in-part with additional reps for Duvernay, but another pass catcher - TE or WR - that is a reliable chain-mover, would seem to be a part of the equation as well.
    Last edited by AmishlandRavenFan; 02-25-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Oh man we had these debates in 2013 on the old Ravens boards

"Tandon Doss and Deonte Thompson are going to be really good, we're fine at WR"

Then it was Marlon Brown, Kamar Aiken, Campanaro, Perriman, Jeremy Butler, Tim White, Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott... currently in the "Miles Boykin is going to breakout" era.

I literally can't fathom how many YEARS, nearly a decade people have been wrong about us being "fine at WR" and still say it every offseason. Ravens fans have Stockholm syndrome at WR. If the defense has a couple bad games it's time to spend, spend, spend... offense can't pass the ball against an 8 man box? Eh they'll figure it out.
    Years ago on the Sunspot board there was a poster who used the name Hymesmuststart. That's Randy Hymes the preseason WR wonder from 2002! That's how far back this goes.

My favorites of this Stockholm syndrome as you call it were the crazy hype around Clarence Moore, the red star Yamon Figurs and the breakout is coming for Demetrius Williams.

Moore was 6'6 220 and fast but could only go in a straight line and could catch a fade in the end zone to save his life. The size to speed ratio got everyone including Billick very hyped.

Figurs got the red star status in the draft. He was the guy the whole front office wanted and DeCosta told everyone after the draft how excited they were to land him. Naturally fans completely bought into this because it wasn't something they heard on a regular basis. Figurs was lost on the field and balls just bounced out of his hands

Demetrius Williams was the ultimate tease. He was physically a good looking receiver much like Boykin who did just enough to make you think he would get to the next step the following year. Only he never did. After 4 years the Ravens let him hit the market and he flamed out with the Browns.

I'm with you. We won't get fooled again....and then we do.