Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Almost 20% of our 2021 cap spent on cornerbacks

Was just looking through Spotrac in writing another post and this stat blew me away.

The Ravens are spending $34m, 19.25% of our 2021 cap space on our cornerbacks, one of which has played 2 games in 2 years, and is now uncuttable due to being restructured (Tavon Young). This is double the league average of $17m and needless to say the highest in the league.

How can you build a winning roster when you've sunk this much money into a position that doesn't touch the ball, protect the passer, or get after the passer?

I like all our CBs, and our defense has performed very well in the playoffs for the past 3 years, but if you wonder why we have no pass rushers or receivers, this is part of the reason why. And they're not even among the top pass defenses in the league by any measure (NY/A, passer rating allowed, expected points added, DVOA, etc) probably due to lack of pass rush.

It's hard to fault the extensions on an individual basis, I was super happy to get Peters and also happy when Humphrey got extended, but there is a downside on a roster construction basis.

Re: Almost 20% of our 2021 cap spent on cornerbacks

Secondary is pretty important in today's age of QBs getting rid of the ball quickly and with the overall volume of passes that are being attempted. Outside of a gamebreaking pass rushers its the next best thing. I'm sure if one of their draft picks had turned into Julius Peppers the cap dollars would be allocated differently but they haven't.

Blog Entries

We literally lost a shot at the AFC title game in 2014 because our CBs sucked ass so bad. I will never complain about stacking the field at CB.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Secondary is pretty important in today's age of QBs getting rid of the ball quickly and with the overall volume of passes that are being attempted. Outside of a gamebreaking pass rushers its the next best thing. I'm sure if one of their draft picks had turned into Julius Peppers the cap dollars would be allocated differently but they haven't.
    Well, I might agree with you but when a QB has all day to throw, eventually someone WILL break open. We saw it last night and even against TN. Imagine trying to beat Mahomes without getting any pressure in his face.

I'm not saying it's strictly wrong to pay so much for CBs but it will come at the cost of something else. Is this team better without say Marcus Peters, but with an elite edge rusher? I think there's at least an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, I might agree with you but when a QB has all day to throw, eventually someone WILL break open. We saw it last night and even against TN. Imagine trying to beat Mahomes without getting any pressure in his face.

I'm not saying it's strictly wrong to pay so much for CBs but it will come at the cost of something else. Is this team better without say Marcus Peters, but with an elite edge rusher? I think there's at least an argument.
    Where are they getting this elite edge rusher? They have drafted some but they didn't pan out. I'd imagine if it came down to re-signing an elite edge rusher or Peters then the edge rusher would win out. And it's not like those guys end up on the FA market. The ones that do are Ngakuoe-level.

I don’t see the issue... one of the more important positions on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth

Blog Entries

Coverage>pass rush

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Coverage>pass rush
    Hey, you said something smart for once!!! Good job!!!

And that 20% of the cap played a giant role in keeping a team that averaged over 30 points a game to 10 points in the playoffs. We successfully built our defense for todays game. Now if we can only get out of the 1980s on offense.

Can’t wait until some people sees Lamar’s cap hit in a couple year. Dude may take up 20% of the cap hit by himself.

Hell, Mahomes will count $59 million against the cap in like 5 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Hey, you said something smart for once!!! Good job!!!

Hey we’re still waiting on you to join the club! Good luck!