Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: EDC Failed Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    The fact that Pittsburgh specifically didn’t get the Super Bowl doesn’t really negate anything, only shows how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. One thing I do know is that 4 of the best passing offenses are in the semi finals for this Super Bowl, and 6 of the 8 teams in the round before had elite passing attacks... a year after the best passing offense won the Super Bowl.

There isn’t one way to win of course, I mean SF got to the Super Bowl just last year with a so so passing attack. But teams with a high end passing attack are more likely to be at the stage of getting there on a much more consistent basis than any other way.
    That's more so along how I feel. I wasn't trying to poo-poo what Pittsburgh did or act as though we've not had success. Just that a lot of the sort of arguments that focus on the results of other teams, can now be used for our own team. So, let's be careful when going that route in debate.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm trying to be rational. The Ravens have a DNA, and a DNA is immutable. Our DNA is good old "Big 10:" -- tough defense and "Three yards and a cloud of dust."

Unless something changes at the very top -- Bisciotti/Harbs -- what you've been seeing is what you'll continue to get: good to great defense, good to great running game, mediocre at best passing offense.

Dreams aside, am I missing something?
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I'm trying to be rational. The Ravens have a DNA, and a DNA is immutable. Our DNA is good old "Big 10:" -- tough defense and "Three yards and a cloud of dust."

Unless something changes at the very top -- Bisciotti/Harbs -- what you've been seeing is what you'll continue to get: good to great defense, good to great running game, mediocre at best passing offense.

I don’t think you are. I think you nailed it. For one thing, Bisciotti himself is on record as saying that he would rather (paraphasing), win 15-12 than 45-42. The GM is an Ozzie disciple and was Ozzie’s right hand man for years. The Head Coach is a Bo Schembechler disciple.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Was he not assistant GM during the downturn in the mid 2010s? Hollywood as a first round receiver has been disappointing and was a high risk draft pick in the first place. They continually draft road grater types who, surprise, can't hold up against elite pass rushers other than Stanley and Brown filling in for Stanley. Then there's signing Earl Thomas when he wasn't really a good fit and got lucky he acted like out of order so they can void his salary. Lastly he wasted a pick on Yannick who really wasn't that effective. Sure he hasn't had enough time to judge in total so maybe people should pump the breaks when they talk about how he's the best GM. Let's wait and see.
    15 TD’s in his first two years is disappointing? More than Boldin had as a Raven or Mason has in any two year stretch???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisciotti is on record saying he prefers to build a team that wins games with a great defense. So yeah until something changes this is what we can expect as fans.

So, our winning philosophy, our USP (Unique Selling Proposition) is "We swim against the tide," or "We're the smartest guy in the room?" After a half-dozen failed dot-coms, I don't buy it. Pissing up a drain pipe gets you nothing but sneakers full of piss.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    There isn’t one way to win of course, I mean SF got to the Super Bowl just last year with a so so passing attack. But teams with a high end passing attack are more likely to be at the stage of getting there on a much more consistent basis than any other way.
    The numbers don't support that. Going back through the last ten Super Bowls, the average passing attack of the participants is 11th. Nine of the 20 participants were in the top 5 in passing. But four teams ranked 23 or lower also made it to the Super Bowl, and only once did the league's #1 passing attack even get to the Super Bowl in the past decade. (2013 Broncos.)

So high-end passing is not a consistent way to get to the Super Bowl. You want to have a solid passing game, and if you don't, you better damn sure have an elite running game and defense. (Which, btw, is what the Baltimore Ravens currently have.) In fact, having a high-end defense is actually a much better predictor of making it to the Super Bowl.
    "Chin up, chest out."

That would be fine. The challenge will be getting the passing game up to the dizzy heights of mediocre from where it is now.

9. Re: EDC Failed Lamar

People here are spoiled. Only 3 teams have accomplished what we have the last 3 years- 3 trips to playoffs and 2 trips to division round. If winning the super bowl is what you want you will be disappointed 95% of your sports watching life. As for our front office I love them but they had a bad year. Failed to get a vet #1 WR, failed to replace Hurst, waited until 3rd rd to draft WR in greatest WR draft ever. But in the end 2 failed Tucker kicks and a botched blitz pickup ruined our season. You need luck to fall your way to win it all

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    15 TD’s in his first two years is disappointing? More than Boldin had as a Raven or Mason has in any two year stretch???

Why would I compare Brown to those guys as a first round pick when I don't rate either Boldin or Mason who weren't even first rounders themselves.

Again someone tell me what makes DeCosta the best GM? Seems like he's an average homeboy to me.

Blog Entries

If he has failed Lamar, he’ll have a chance to make it up to him this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

To be fair there's a lot of retconning when it comes to Boldin based on his performances in the 2012 playoffs. Prior to that he'd really been pretty underwhelming as a Raven. Not entirely his fault as until Cam got fired and Caldwell put in place he hadn't been used properly but still.

I would've loved to see him stay under Caldwell and see if he could've continued his playoff play going forward instead of being traded to save a million bucks to sign Chris Canty and Marcus Spears...