Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Kurt Warner breakdown of Ravens Passing Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Some of it could be chalked up to young guys not running the right routes or recognizing the coverage.

Some of it was Lamar not finding the right guy.

However, the play designs themselves are definitely problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    and I'd add some of it was the Oline just wouldn't let the play develop

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Well that would explain Boykin possibly having the lowest targets per snap number % in the league (disclaimer: I haven't checked but it shouldn't be far off)
    Wiley’s take (While I don’t always agree with him) is one to consider. Because the more I go back and watch these breakdowns, it looks like the only thing I can think of them trying to do is create running lanes for Lamar.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed O’Sullivan’s breakdown. However, to be fair, he did preface his analysis with acknowledging that he was often not going to know the what or the why.

In my opinion, Warner’s breakdown is more damning, because he goes into more detail about how the read progressions bare determined and what they could or should be. He also goes into more detail about the why, as in why it’s not working and what it should be instead.

While he does not absolve Lamar of all blame, his key point is essentially that, while he’s not always pleased with Lamar’s mechanical breakdowns, the coaching staff is basically sending him to a gun fight with a knife, before the game even starts. Not even a knife. More like a small branch from a tree. There were several plays where he’s just like “What is Lamar supposed to do?”

The structural deficiencies of the passing scheme itself are grotesque, right out of the gate. It seems like Lamar spends half the game not knowing what to do. But yet, on the rare occasion that Roman does draw it up well, Lamar’s supposed to suddenly know what to do and take full advantage.

That’s asking A LOT of your QB, while you’re helping him FAR LESS than he’s helping you.

4. Re: Kurt Warner breakdown of Ravens Passing Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I enjoyed O’Sullivan’s breakdown. However, to be fair, he did preface his analysis with acknowledging that he was often not going to know the what or the why.

In my opinion, Warner’s breakdown is more damning, because he goes into more detail about how the read progressions bare determined and what they could or should be. He also goes into more detail about the why, as in why it’s not working and what it should be instead.

While he does not absolve Lamar of all blame, his key point is essentially that, while he’s not always pleased with Lamar’s mechanical breakdowns, the coaching staff is basically sending him to a gun fight with a knife, before the game even starts. Not even a knife. More like a small branch from a tree. There were several plays where he’s just like “What is Lamar supposed to do?”

The structural deficiencies of the passing scheme itself are grotesque, right out of the gate. It seems like Lamar spends half the game not knowing what to do. But yet, on the rare occasion that Roman does draw it up well, Lamar’s supposed to suddenly know what to do and take full advantage.

That’s asking A LOT of your QB, while you’re helping him FAR LESS than he’s helping you.
    You think it's more damning because Warner was willing to guess for views when JTO wasn't
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    You think it's more damning because Warner was willing to guess for views when JTO wasn't
    Why would you even make that comment? In the video, Warner actually discusses the situations and why the read progressions could be one way or another. He’s going off of his knowledge of passing concepts, read progressions and route combinations. That doesn’t mean he didn’t acknowledge when he wasn’t sure of something.

Like, why would you even make that comment?