Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Kurt Warner breakdown of Ravens Passing Scheme

Re: Kurt Warner breakdown of Ravens Passing Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    A rightfully damning assessment of our passing scheme.

That was an excellent analysis. That was ~20% of our pass plays last week that just sucked by design. Play design (coaches) or poor/terrible execution by receivers? Or both.

Part of the problem is that we do not know the basics. The routes look bad, but I could see what looked like a lack of awareness by receivers. The chemistry between QB and receivers means that each sees the same opportunities and the samples we saw did not show any of that by the Ravens. We do see too many times that guys are in the same spot, so it is not a reach that the problem lies in the scheme. It could also be some weakness in the WR coaching, or just fundamental deficiencies in the players.

I would like to see a full game analysis before concluding anything on cherry-picked examples.

It was a good presentation, though.

I'd like to see more from different games. I definitely saw where it could be the route combos of the plays that are bad and don't compliment each other and I saw some where it looked like receivers just ran the wrong route. But this could be why we always complain that our receivers are never open or there is never separation like you see with other offenses. Bottom line is regardless of what happens in these playoffs they have to improve their passing game (concepts and personnel) they owe it to Lamar

I trust Warner and his opinion, although a short and critical sample set. Highly doubt that Culley (three decades as an offensive coach) and Roman would have had plays drawn up that way. I tend to lean on the fact that some players are also at fault. I have been saying this for three months.... We need to deploy Dobbins and other RB's in the flat and take easy money from him being covered by LB's. This makes L'Freaky's job so much easier.
    Last edited by 21xxxv; 01-16-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Some of that is play design but some of that is lack of understanding and awareness. I put both on the coaches. One of my biggest criticism of our receiver's during Flacco's tenure is that they seemed to run their assigned route and stop. They never continued to work to get open. That has changed some because of Jacksons mobility but you still see the lack of on the fly adjustments.

Brutal.

I see our receivers in the same area in patterns all the time and it drives me nuts. It's completely counter to what should happen.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

yes, it's so obvious how vanilla our passing game is. Not sure who tweeted this earlier in the year, but it could have been Rappaport. Anyway they said we spent a lot less time on the passing game in practice than the running game.

As good as Roman is in the running game, he's just as bad in the passing game.

Blog Entries

YIKESSSS... Those have to be on the pass catchers. Roman can't be scheming multiple routes doing the same shit.

I want to see Dobbins hitting that option route inside/outside....get him in space running thru the secondary.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    YIKESSSS... Those have to be on the pass catchers. Roman can't be scheming multiple routes doing the same shit.

I want to see Dobbins hitting that option route inside/outside....get him in space running thru the secondary.
    Ray rice use to kill on those option routes. Mark Ingram was good last year on those type of plays too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    Ray rice use to kill on those option routes. Mark Ingram was good last year on those type of plays too.
    Saints abuse the shit out of that play with Kamara.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483