Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Kurt Warner breakdown of Ravens Passing Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Or what wins 30+ games over last 2 seasons
    Well, if we want to aspire to be Tony Romo’s Cowboys or Marty Schottenheimer’s teams..........

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, if we want to aspire to be Tony Romo’s Cowboys or Marty Schottenheimer’s teams..........
    Or

i've been complaining about us sending two receivers to the same spot for awhile now. i'm not on KW's level (or the next 10 levels down, for that matter) so i don't have the ability to dissect the passing game at that level, but the idea that our passing scheme lacks vision or even a specific goal rings very true. i've broken down (or added to other's breakdowns) plays all season, and that routinely comes up. it is oftentimes not clear what the goal of a play is, and very often the usage of the pieces works counter to whatever the goal might've been. most recent one i broke down was a goal line pass play a few weeks back where Lamar and the entire line moved FAR to the right, but all of Lamar's receivers were trailing except one, giving him only one person to throw to for the majority of the play (until he doubled back and escaped pressure on what could've been a sack). this is how bad the GRo passing game is, regular joes like me can break down individual plays and show how the entire play concept (not execution, not player mistakes, but actually the playcall itself as you'd draw it up in a playbook) is utterly stupid. not just kinda bad, or maybe high risk/high reward, or anything like that, just downright stupid. too many of his plays are plays that i could shoot down before it left the playbook.

and not only that, but because so many of the plays lack a clear objective, he's a crap OC in-game because he can't dial up a play whose clear objective matches a weakness he sees in the defense. i was leaning toward getting rid of him at the end of last season, but i figured he deserved another shot after the great season they had, but this year something has to change. he is wasting Lamar's pre-payday years.

Based on the titles, this is the only intelligent thread still active.

Damn - he certainly didn’t pull any punches with that assessment. I find it hard to believe that the receivers are running the wrong routes in week 18.

Blog Entries

Some of it could be chalked up to young guys not running the right routes or recognizing the coverage.

Some of it was Lamar not finding the right guy.

However, the play designs themselves are definitely problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Some of it could be chalked up to young guys not running the right routes or recognizing the coverage.

That is a fair assessment. Plenty of blame to share.

Quote Originally Posted by YoCo757 View Post
    It’s hard to even GAF anymore. 3 postseasons have made it clear that these guys can’t get it done. Here’s to a 2021 stellar regular season, followed by a meltdown in January. And we’ll see KC win another SB
    I think gb wins this year

Blog Entries

Marcellus Wiley said that it seems like Roman calls passing plays and uses route combinations strictly for the purpose of making space for the run.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Marcellus Wiley said that it seems like Roman calls passing plays and uses route combinations strictly for the purpose of making space for the run.
    Well that would explain Boykin possibly having the lowest targets per snap number % in the league (disclaimer: I haven't checked but it shouldn't be far off)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I posted the Baltimore Suns film study’s take in the DeCOSTA failed Lamar thread and don’t want to duplicate it here

But, While it mentions in this order for who’s to blame ...He puts it mostly on Jackson

5) Receivers
    4) Running Backs
    3) Roman ...To Vanilla... but there was open receivers
    2) Oline especially Powers
    1) Lamar .... Missed receivers, holding the ball to long, staring down receivers, and even on completed passes he said there was a better more wide open option.

Everyone inside the Ravens organization needs to absorb Kurt Warner’s assessment of our passing game - most especially Greg Roman. Warner is a Super Bowl MVP QB. Roman has done a tremendous job but he is not infallible.

CCx